PDA

View Full Version : Help selecting a home gym???

derrickg719
02-04-2012, 10:38 AM
I want to know if anyone has a recommendation for a good home gym under $500. I want one where i can bench, squat, and do lat pulldowns. It don't all have to be in one product, just anything that can help me do those. Any help is much appreciated.

KBKB
02-04-2012, 10:50 AM
I want to know if anyone has a recommendation for a good home gym under $500. I want one where i can bench, squat, and do lat pulldowns. It don't all have to be in one product, just anything that can help me do those. Any help is much appreciated.
You will want a power rack, a bench, an olympic bar and plates.

With regard to lat pulldowns... are you able to do pull-ups? If so, you might consider getting just a rack and doing pull-ups on the built-in pull-up bar. If you are already good at pull-ups you might consider doing weighted pull-ups to increase the challenge. Or, if you're bad at pull-ups, bands can be purchased to assist you in doing them.

Otherwise, you'll have to look for either a separate lat machine or a rack / lat machine combo. If you have the space and the funds, getting a separate lat machine is probably the way to go. (It'll leave your rack less cluttered as well as give you more rack buying options.)

If you haven't done so already, you should read the following threads:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126624063

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113942001

Pay close attention to that latter thread as it lists manufacturers who make good equipment as well as those who don't. That latter thread also mentions buying used (e.g. craigslist) as a good way to stretch your buying dollar.

derrickg719
02-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks. Those threads held me pick out a good power rack, now i just need to find a good bench.

ruckuz27
02-04-2012, 11:18 AM
For craigslist deals, I love using the website searchtempest.com, it will expand your search to nearby cities and save you time searching.