PDA

View Full Version : Plans for an outdoor lifting platform advice needed.

pjones374
02-03-2012, 08:46 PM
I have started to build a platform for squats, dead lifts, and clean and jerk lifts. I just finish poring the concrete tonight. My question is what should I use on the side platform for the weights to fall onto, when doing clean and jerk lifts.

I need to know what to put were the question marks are? I was thinking rubber mating over sand or some type of padding?

I'll post pictures tomorrow of the progress.

Kodokan
02-03-2012, 08:52 PM
horse stall mats from tractor supply co or else your local horse 'tack and feed' store for the rubber...i don't know what to suggest about the base.

pjones374
02-03-2012, 09:46 PM
horse stall mats from tractor supply co or else your local horse 'tack and feed' store for the rubber...i don't know what to suggest about the base.
I was thinking the same thing about the stall mats. I'll pick them up tomorrow. but what do I put under the mats?

Kodokan
02-03-2012, 10:25 PM
I was thinking the same thing about the stall mats. I'll pick them up tomorrow. but what do I put under the mats?

Well I've done this inside and it's plywood...but i dunno what's even a good suggestion for outside. I suppose if nobody chimes in with a good answer you could relatively affordably double up your mats....but in general you just want the landing surface to be level with the 'take off' surface.

don't forget to ask this on the crossfit boards, i'm sure somebody over there has done this.

KBKB
02-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Well I've done this inside and it's plywood...but i dunno what's even a good suggestion for outside. I suppose if nobody chimes in with a good answer you could relatively affordably double up your mats....but in general you just want the landing surface to be level with the 'take off' surface.
I think that doubling up the mats sounds like a good idea. He could also use plywood upon which a wood preservative was used on all sides and edges. Wood should hold up pretty well so long as it's treated.

If the OP doesn't care if the slab holds up over time, just go with the one layer of stall mats over the slab.

pjones374
02-03-2012, 11:10 PM
I think that doubling up the mats sounds like a good idea. He could also use plywood upon which a wood preservative was used on all sides and edges. Wood should hold up pretty well so long as it's treated.

If the OP doesn't care if the slab holds up over time, just go with the one layer of stall mats over the slab.
The slab is fine as it is only in the center portion of the platform. someone suggested old rug under the stall mats, I think I'm going to give this a try. I post pictures and feed back on how it goes when complete.

KBKB
02-03-2012, 11:20 PM
The slab is fine as it is only in the center portion of the platform. someone suggested old rug under the stall mats, I think I'm going to give this a try. I post pictures and feed back on how it goes when complete.
What's off to the sides now?

pjones374
02-03-2012, 11:28 PM
What's off to the sides now?
Nothing but the frame work from poring the concrete center base. So I have 2 framed holes just have to full them up.

KBKB
02-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Nothing but the frame work from poring the concrete center base. So I have 2 framed holes just have to full them up.
Well, I guess you could try sand or gravel below the mat then. I would expect it to shift somewhat and become indented over time, but you could periodically lift the mat and smooth it back out. You could also pour concrete that's 3/4" below the level of the center portion. (This assumes that the mats are 3/4" thick - you want the sides to be even with the center portion.) It might be less hassle that way.

twodog
02-04-2012, 03:53 AM
I would use carpet inside, outside I would use sand and a piece of pressure treated plywood under my stall mats. You can always level the sand, or add to it, if needed. The carpet will eventually get nasty.

Northernmoris
02-04-2012, 04:17 AM
Overkill? Maybe but build.this outside..

http://blog.roguefitness.com/2012/01/w-4-installed-in-a-sound-dampening-platform/

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h320/northernm/PlatformwithSupportforuprights.jpg

pjones374
02-04-2012, 07:01 AM
That's close to what I have I just used concrete in steed of wood, only used wood to frame it out.

KBKB
02-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Overkill? Maybe but build.this outside..

http://blog.roguefitness.com/2012/01/w-4-installed-in-a-sound-dampening-platform/

I hadn't seen that before. That looks great.

I'll rep you again when I'm able.

jackbravo
02-04-2012, 11:48 AM
might think about making the side wells 6 feet long instead of 4 (if u're still able). it would give you a bit more room if the bar got out of control. for the base, i bet treated wood (? treated plywood) should work, under a tractor supply stall mat.

Northernmoris
02-04-2012, 06:39 PM
I hadn't seen that before. That looks great.

I'll rep you again when I'm able.

There is a thread on the cross fit forums, possibly started by someone at Rogue. Anyways they linked the blog, and not the article, its a bitch to find.. I bookmarked it and dwnld' the pic..

pjones374
02-05-2012, 09:14 PM
OK so I have finished most of the platform here is a picture of how it stands right now.

After talking to someone that builds down in this area I have decided to put Pea gravel, then 2 layers of 3/4" treated plywood then the stall matting.

The reason for the gravel is he says the red clay dirt will pack in really tight from dropping the weight on it and in no time water will not be able to drain kind of turning the frame into a water tank. So the pea gravel will pack in nice and tight but still allow water to escape..

Now to just fix the dirt and put down some grass seed...

KBKB
02-05-2012, 10:16 PM
OK so I have finished most of the platform here is a picture of how it stands right now.

After talking to someone that builds down in this area I have decided to put Pea gravel, then 2 layers of 3/4" treated plywood then the stall matting.

The reason for the gravel is he says the red clay dirt will pack in really tight from dropping the weight on it and in no time water will not be able to drain kind of turning the frame into a water tank. So the pea gravel will pack in nice and tight but still allow water to escape..

Now to just fix the dirt and put down some grass seed...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4116481&d=1328501679

That plan sounds reasonable to me.