PDA

View Full Version : If you dont have a mechanical keyboard, you should get one (srs) (pics+bonus photo)

jamie93
01-18-2012, 10:57 AM
if you use your computer a lot like most people do. it is the part you use the most. fuq gfx cards, cpu etc (not srs but you know what i mean). regardless of system specs, a keyboard is what you always need and therefore it is arguably the most important piece of hardware you have.

I ordered one of the best, if not the best mechanical keyboard out today, the filco majestouch 2. there have been some notable differences.

-i can type much faster
-i make considerably less errors
-less hand/finger fatigue when typing at speed for long periods
-extrmely solid build (perhaps unique to the filco)
-i find myself making considerably longer forum posts as usual because it is so much fun to type on (srs) (such as this one)

for those who are aware on mechanical keyboards, this has cherry brown switches.

-another feature of mechanical boards, one which i have yet to make use of is the fact you can press an unlimited amount of keys and they will all register.

here are some pics. hope you enjoy, feel free to ask any questions. i also threw in a bonus photo which i took on my phone the other day. come at me.

http://i.imgur.com/RuFxd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/A4K1Rh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2JG1ph.jpg

reyes12
01-18-2012, 11:04 AM
aware me on mechanical keyboards and how much they cost.

inb4 50+ dollars

LiftersHigh
01-18-2012, 11:05 AM

inb4 50+ dollars

It's more like 100 plus (did a quick google search).

But I would like to be awared also.

jamie93
01-18-2012, 11:07 AM

inb4 50+ dollars

the basic concept is each individual key is separate from the other. they all have switches underneath them, which feel considerably better to type on, instead of rubber dome keyboards. You can get different switches made for different purposes. My board has mx browns, which are the 'middle of the road switch', great for gaming and typing. Other switches include cherry blacks, which push down easier, making it easy to double tap, and thus are aimed at gamers.

here is a great thread detailing all about mech keyboards and will likely explain in better detail than i can. use the contents to skip to the switch section if that is all you are interested in:

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

yes, quality and user experience comes at a price. my board was 120 including vat, not sure how much that is in dollars. but bear in mind it is one of the best you can buy.

It was hard for me to take the plunge. I am actually saving for a new graphics card for when nvidia release kelper. i will likely get the gtx 580 3gb equivalent. But i was convinced this would be a solid purchase in the mean time. And i am starting to think i made the right choice. There honestly is no other way to know other than to just go for it as very few shops stock my board, and even fewer have one on display to try.

TommyStarwind
01-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Lulz @ bonus photo

Forumite
01-18-2012, 12:49 PM
I can't game with that bro, where's the multicolor backlight???

One Badass Mofo
01-18-2012, 12:55 PM
I can't game with that bro, where's the multicolor backlight???

I have 3 mechanical keyboards (black blue brown) and I will never go back to using normal keyboards again. I love my blue switch the best followed by brown and Im a pretty hardcore gamer

stereotada
01-18-2012, 01:02 PM
repped, i have a tenkeyless filco red myself.

reyes12
01-18-2012, 01:43 PM
the basic concept is each individual key is separate from the other. they all have switches underneath them, which feel considerably better to type on, instead of rubber dome keyboards. You can get different switches made for different purposes. My board has mx browns, which are the 'middle of the road switch', great for gaming and typing. Other switches include cherry blacks, which push down easier, making it easy to double tap, and thus are aimed at gamers.

here is a great thread detailing all about mech keyboards and will likely explain in better detail than i can. use the contents to skip to the switch section if that is all you are interested in:

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

yes, quality and user experience comes at a price. my board was 120 including vat, not sure how much that is in dollars. but bear in mind it is one of the best you can buy.

It was hard for me to take the plunge. I am actually saving for a new graphics card for when nvidia release kelper. i will likely get the gtx 580 3gb equivalent. But i was convinced this would be a solid purchase in the mean time. And i am starting to think i made the right choice. There honestly is no other way to know other than to just go for it as very few shops stock my board, and even fewer have one on display to try.

Looks like Im getting a new keyboard next christmas

FuzzeWuzze
01-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Yup love my Mechanical keyboard...i went for the Steel Series 6gv2 because i wanted a smaller keyboard and they got really good reviews....and Steel Series makes good stuff in general.

LAballin24
01-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Are there mechanical keyboards that don't have those fat buttons? I hate those (srs)

FuzzeWuzze
01-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Are there mechanical keyboards that don't have those fat buttons? I hate those (srs)

Fat buttons? You mean like depth wise? You prefer the shallow keys like a laptop? If thats the case look at the Razer Black Widow...

boast
01-18-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm probably getting the corsair k90 when its back in stock

TommyStarwind
01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
How do you tell what color??

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-BlackWidow-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B003ZJ1VD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326922479&sr=8-1

jamie93
01-18-2012, 02:41 PM
How do you tell what color??

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-BlackWidow-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B003ZJ1VD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326922479&sr=8-1

i have just researched this and it appears to have blue..? odd for a gamer board. the stealth edition has brown

Chango99
01-18-2012, 02:55 PM
I think all the razer sh*t are black... really wouldn't go with razer overpriced..

stereotada
01-18-2012, 02:59 PM
All blackwidows are blues.

and ^^ razer actually has one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest mechanical board on the market. If you are looking for bang for buck then i suggest leopold. rivals filco in quality and a lot cheaper.

you can find leopolds here
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold

the tenkeyless red switches for 89 are a steal. red switches are usually a good deal more expensive.

FuzzeWuzze
01-18-2012, 03:03 PM

and ^^ razer actually has one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest mechanical board on the market. If you are looking for bang for buck then i suggest leopold. rivals filco in quality and a lot cheaper.

Yup its blues. There's nothing wrong with blues for gaming, it really comes down to what is most comfortable for you.

Some people dont like to have to heavy press buttons, some do, some like the tactile click, some dont...
The nice thing about the Black Widow is if you want to know what Blue switches feel like you can go to any Best Buy and try them out. The box has an open window in it where you can type on the keyboard. I will note that the blues on the Widow are loud as fuk, so if you use the keyboard in a room with another person that doesnt use headphones or is doing something else like sleeping they will likely hate your soul and your stupid clicky clack keyboard.

jamie93
01-18-2012, 03:11 PM

nope apparently the blackwidow ninja is brown.

I agree with Fuzze though its all about personal preference.

BullStampede
01-18-2012, 03:22 PM
repped for bonus photo

jamie93
01-18-2012, 03:32 PM
repped for bonus photo

glad you liked it

Chango99
01-18-2012, 03:40 PM
I would go blue even for gaming. I have browns but I've tried blues and they feel better.

rashbeep
01-18-2012, 03:58 PM
repped op, i have a das keyboard. i had the blue switches model but switched it for the silent browns. regret my decision for sure.

Vagitarian
01-18-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm just curious about something...

Why does the picture on the box show a full sized shift key but on the actual keyboard it is unusually small? The shift key being so tiny would be a no-buy factor for me.

wingman11
01-18-2012, 04:35 PM
cool. i'll ask my work to buy me one for lulz.

does it use fuking ps/2???

Magnumtripod
01-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Last week I bought the Steven Seagal Signature series mechanical keyboard with the Triple Touch Threat media key upgrade.

Chango99
01-18-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm just curious about something...

Why does the picture on the box show a full sized shift key but on the actual keyboard it is unusually small? The shift key being so tiny would be a no-buy factor for me.

Good catch. I agree the keyboard setup on the actual one is a little retarded. 2 row enter is key is retarded and fukd up the place for the \| key and shifted the size of the shift left key which is pretty important for gamers. I'm guessing those switches are blue though and so "non gamer". Most people use the left shift key that would make sense. Still, an unneeded sacrifice.

cool. i'll ask my work to buy me one for lulz.

does it use fuking ps/2???

ps/2 is better. It's naturally USB but has a usb-> ps/2 adapter to have NKRO (can hit as many keys as you want, like holding both shifts and typing The brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.)

Chango99
01-18-2012, 05:32 PM
thebrownfoxjumpsoverthelazydog

wow pretty good for a gaming laptop keyboard i just bought.

Criollo
01-18-2012, 07:44 PM
if i ever buy a keyboard it will be that touchscreen one. come at me

eskyhoneybeev2
01-18-2012, 08:10 PM
ahh OP i love the finer things, I have a 10 dollar mouse which i have been using for gaming. I have a decent rig but my mouse is just sh!tty but i never considered getting a new one until i went to my mates house. He had this 100 dollar razor mouse that moved over his mousepad like a knife through hot butter. It was amazing and i could control the game so much better. I always knew my mouse was sh!t but until that day i had no idea about DPI or any of that.

Next cab off the rank is a decent keyboard and a decent mouse for me. Also i think its a good investment, that thing will last you for life.

FinalCountdown
01-18-2012, 10:23 PM
OP I have a keyboard that looks 100% identical to the one you posted in the OP (I'm using it right now) but I paid $20 for it.. it's probably not a mechanical keyboard though. Just weird that they're identical. Dem keyboards be lacking aesthetic variety. Mine is an acer one, no real problems with it though. If I were to buy a mechanical keyboard I'd definitely have to try it out first to see what the real difference is.

Darkhare
01-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Better things to spend my money on: IE proteins, booze, hobbies that require going outside.

Chango99
01-18-2012, 10:38 PM
ahh OP i love the finer things, I have a 10 dollar mouse which i have been using for gaming. I have a decent rig but my mouse is just sh!tty but i never considered getting a new one until i went to my mates house. He had this 100 dollar razor mouse that moved over his mousepad like a knife through hot butter. It was amazing and i could control the game so much better. I always knew my mouse was sh!t but until that day i had no idea about DPI or any of that.

Next cab off the rank is a decent keyboard and a decent mouse for me. Also i think its a good investment, that thing will last you for life.

Hot butter would probably just be a liquid.

Chango99
01-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Better things to spend my money on: IE proteins, booze, hobbies that require going outside.

I'd say you spend quite a bit of time indoors.

And what's good about alcohol?

jamie93
01-19-2012, 02:41 AM
OP I have a keyboard that looks 100% identical to the one you posted in the OP (I'm using it right now) but I paid $20 for it.. it's probably not a mechanical keyboard though. Just weird that they're identical. Dem keyboards be lacking aesthetic variety. Mine is an acer one, no real problems with it though. If I were to buy a mechanical keyboard I'd definitely have to try it out first to see what the real difference is.

Lol there is a difference trust me. Mine is metal construction and weighs an absolute ton. and yes you really have to try them out to see how good they are. It is not intended to be a flashy 'lights everywhere 5340589340598 customisable button gamer board', it is supposed to be minimalistic and i like that

proteins: check
booze: dont drink
hobbies: i have an expensive mountain bike, and also an expensive guitar. although not an outside hobby

lucky_l3fty
01-19-2012, 02:50 AM
I have a filco (browns) and a leopold (blues)......probably get a ducky with reds soon.

Chango99
01-19-2012, 02:55 AM
I have a filco (browns) and a leopold (blues)......probably get a ducky with reds soon.

Why get another? Blue's all you need... and brown's fine for gaming

Chango99
01-19-2012, 03:10 AM
What's everyone's typing speeds anyway?

I get around 120WPM 0-1 mistakes (i notice whenever I type something wrong even before I see the text i'll start backspacing quickly) on a typingtest online.

jamie93
01-19-2012, 03:16 AM
What's everyone's typing speeds anyway?

I get around 120WPM 0-1 mistakes (i notice whenever I type something wrong even before I see the text i'll start backspacing quickly) on a typingtest online.

havent actually tried on this keyboard il do it later. on my old one i think it was 103 but i had some hard words lol

may as well try them all, why not ;)

lucky_l3fty
01-19-2012, 03:34 AM

because I like keyboards? Why get a mechanical keyboard if you think like that....

fyi don't ever go on geekhack with that.

CDbrah
01-19-2012, 03:44 AM
ou3O2uPLXlU

Chango99
01-19-2012, 03:53 AM
ou3O2uPLXlU

Listening through it online is not really a good comparison.

because I like keyboards? Why get a mechanical keyboard if you think like that....

fyi don't ever go on geekhack with that.

just wondering brah, no hate. If you collect them like that why not look for an old

edit: wtfudge man, what is it censored. the company lenovo used to be eye bee em... Model M Keyboards

askemhoes
01-19-2012, 04:28 AM
yer getting one tomorrow. so sick of minimising games by accident and **** like that cus of a piece of crap keyboard.

lucky_l3fty
01-19-2012, 05:22 AM
Listening through it online is not really a good comparison.

just wondering brah, no hate. If you collect them like that why not look for an old

edit: wtfudge man, what is it censored. the company lenovo used to be eye bee em... Model M Keyboards

I actually use them lol....Reds are good for osu! ...it's a game

boast
01-27-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm probably getting the corsair k90 when its back in stock

ended up buying the CM quickfire instead. pretty boss. Wish I could buy the contoured k60 keycaps though.

FuzzeWuzze
01-28-2012, 12:57 AM
I forgot to mention, but a lot of people didnt like the glossy plastic they used on the Black Widows...because it gets smudges and looks like **** all dirty like anything glossy does that you put your oily fingers on.

Merauder
01-28-2012, 03:49 AM
all keyboards are mechanical and following your logic every piece of hardware is the most important one because you will always need it

jamie93
01-28-2012, 07:57 AM
all keyboards are mechanical and following your logic every piece of hardware is the most important one because you will always need it

1)no they are read my thread. if you still believe there is no distinction to be made between RUBBER DOME and MECHANICAL SWITCH i dont know what to say.
2)that was not what i said, and if it was it wasnt what i meant. i was saying that whilst your hardware is shoved away in your computer, you are always using your keyboard. its what you use to do everything on the computer. therefore it makes sense to get a good one for best use of the computer. it is your input for everything you do. as far as i know, most people dont type on their cpu cooler. and next time, try controlling your computer without a mouse or keyboard plugged in. you can turn it on, it will power up but you wont be able to do anything

jamie93
01-28-2012, 07:57 AM
I forgot to mention, but a lot of people didnt like the glossy plastic they used on the Black Widows...because it gets smudges and looks like **** all dirty like anything glossy does that you put your oily fingers on.

yeah they have that on a few razer keyboards. i prefer matte finish

dzj
01-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Wish I knew about mechanical keyboards before I picked up my $70 illuminated logitech keyboard. Now aware.

guitarwar241
01-28-2012, 01:25 PM

This guy is so cool. How could anyone be as cool as this guy?