PDA

View Full Version : No formal experience, degrees, or cert. Where to work in the industry?

TheCaz
01-08-2012, 01:20 PM
I'd like to make a database for others in the same situation I am in. I am currently studying to get my CPT this Spring/Summer. But, I am looking for a new job in the mean time, and I would like to keep it in the Health/Fitness industry, so it looks better on my resume.

I already have applied to GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, Complete Nutrition. Where else should I go to apply to? I am pretty much down to do anything in the field. Looking for a FT job preferably.

I was thinking of applying to some gyms in my area, but with no experience, I don't know what I would do.

Thanks in advance, reps to all.

kristinpete38
01-08-2012, 04:43 PM
If you work front desk at the gym, they're more likely to hire you as a trainer later on. This way, you'll be able to greet and talk to potential future clients as they head in to work out.

TheCaz
01-08-2012, 06:20 PM
If you work front desk at the gym, they're more likely to hire you as a trainer later on. This way, you'll be able to greet and talk to potential future clients as they head in to work out.

Thanks. I kind of thought that, but honestly I wasn't sure. I'll look into it. They usually have girls at the front desk though IME. For obvious reasons. Repped, poppin that rep cherry.

Edited for a girl. Sorry.

kristinpete38
01-08-2012, 06:29 PM
1) I'm female.
2) The gym I work at has an even combination of male and female employees. I don't see how that could be a female job.

I work as a trainer, btw. Not at the front desk.

TheCaz
01-08-2012, 08:24 PM
1) I'm female.
2) The gym I work at has an even combination of male and female employees. I don't see how that could be a female job.

I work as a trainer, btw. Not at the front desk.

I apologize about referring to you as a male. But, respectfully, I have been to roughly a dozen different gym's in my life and 3/4s or more of them had women greeters, and most were pretty good looking. I don't want to get into this debate, but even with my physique (summer cut) I am probably only a 7 or 8, and generally they have 9's and 10's working at the front desk.

Nonetheless, I will look into it.

kristinpete38
01-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Haha..well maybe it's the area you live in? I've seen pretty unfortunate looking people working front desks in my area. There's such a variety in the 4-5 gyms in my area.

San Diego, for example, is all about physical appearance.

If you don't get it, you could always file a lawsuit for discrimination. "Yes, your honor, they wouldn't hire me because I rate a mere 7 on the appearance scale" lol. Yeah, just give it a go.

Come at me bro
01-08-2012, 08:59 PM
how much does a planet fitness pay?

i was thinking about it

Im getting sick of my job, its not worth the stress, early hours and travel time for 10.50 an hour or 330 cash

TheCaz
01-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Haha..well maybe it's the area you live in? I've seen pretty unfortunate looking people working front desks in my area. There's such a variety in the 4-5 gyms in my area.

San Diego, for example, is all about physical appearance.

If you don't get it, you could always file a lawsuit for discrimination. "Yes, your honor, they wouldn't hire me because I rate a mere 7 on the appearance scale" lol. Yeah, just give it a go.

I have lived (and went to gyms) in Maryland, Michigan, Mass, Penn, New York (WAYYYY upstate), and even Nebraska. Almost all of which had pretty decent looking women at the front desk. No matter, agreed though, I could do exactly like you said in your third line. Made me laugh pretty hard though

how much does a planet fitness pay?

i was thinking about it

Im getting sick of my job, its not worth the stress, early hours and travel time for 10.50 an hour or 330 cash

It depends on what you are talking about. Desk, Spotter, PT, or specialty? Deskers make I think 8-11/hr. Spotters (guys who moves plates around and make sure people don't kill themselves in the gym (without a cert/degree) make like 14ish usually I think. PT's I have heard from probably 10 different reliable (40 non reliable) people make anywhere from 15-30/hr, but are also certified. Specialty people are obviously varying.

I would really like to get a job being a spotter for a few months leading up to being a PT sometime this summer.

Come at me bro
01-08-2012, 09:54 PM
I have lived (and went to gyms) in Maryland, Michigan, Mass, Penn, New York (WAYYYY upstate), and even Nebraska. Almost all of which had pretty decent looking women at the front desk. No matter, agreed though, I could do exactly like you said in your third line. Made me laugh pretty hard though

It depends on what you are talking about. Desk, Spotter, PT, or specialty? Deskers make I think 8-11/hr. Spotters (guys who moves plates around and make sure people don't kill themselves in the gym (without a cert/degree) make like 14ish usually I think. PT's I have heard from probably 10 different reliable (40 non reliable) people make anywhere from 15-30/hr, but are also certified. Specialty people are obviously varying.

I would really like to get a job being a spotter for a few months leading up to being a PT sometime this summer.
the desk people do everything from cleaning up plates to sweeping up and bagging up the garbage, the pt's help at the desk sometimes

i would like to get into pt, one of the new desk guys carrys a legit 220 lean bb frame while the rest dont look like they lift, i could not tell if the pt's even lifted if i looked at them and their deff not fit for a gym that pushes fitness over bodybuilding

how would one get into getting certified to be a pt?

TheCaz
01-08-2012, 10:02 PM
the desk people do everything from cleaning up plates to sweeping up and bagging up the garbage, the pt's help at the desk sometimes

i would like to get into pt, one of the new desk guys carrys a legit 220 lean bb frame while the rest dont look like they lift, i could not tell if the pt's even lifted if i looked at them and their deff not fit for a gym that pushes fitness over bodybuilding

how would one get into getting certified to be a pt?

Look here (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110597151). Its in the stickies.

TheCaz
03-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Hey everyone, bump to this thread. I got my NASM book a little while ago, and am reading/taking notes about 30mins/day. I will probably do this for a couple months, set a test date, and study 2hrs/day leading up to it. Hopefully going to get certified by no later than June 1. Just had shoulder surgery, and I am finally getting back to doing everyday things. But....

I need to get some work in the industry on my resume first though. Where should I apply to? Willing to take just about any job in the industry, any hours, any pay, as long as I am in the industry and getting a hang of things. Anything from Supplement shops, to Gyms and everything in between.

I guess what I am asking is, what did you guys do right before you were certified?