PDA

View Full Version : realistic goal setting

dreahere
12-26-2011, 03:26 PM
A couple recent threads on here have me pondering how you choose a goal and how you ascertain whether that goal is realistic and achievable.

I've been lifting a little over 15 months (though I've only been BB back squatting consistently since July [I know, I know].) Reading along, I was trying to figure out where I'd like to be, lifting-wise, at the end of 2012. My first thought was, well, I'd like to be squatting 180, since that would be 1.5x bodyweight. I'm squatting 135 for reps now. Going up 45 lbs in a year sounds easy peasy, considering I've gone up 70 lbs since July. But going from 65 to 135 is probably easier than going from 135 to 180, right? And my newbie gains oughta stop any.day.now. So...good goal? Lame goal? Actually unrealistic goal? I have no idea, and no idea how you figure this sh*t out.

Talk to me about this goal setting thing, por favor.

thehobbes
12-26-2011, 05:23 PM
If you're doing 135 for multiple reps now, with good form and depth, then I'd say 180x1 is within reach if you're giving yourself the whole year to do it. You're not going to go up 5lbs a week most likely, but the gains will come as long as you're doing everything right. Stay on top of your diet, get plenty of protein, keep squatting every week, focus on your form (it's not ALL about the weight), and just keep getting in there every time and give it 100%.

It's very reasonable - my only advice to that though - change it to 185, loading 180 on a bb is a hassle! :p

dreahere
12-26-2011, 05:59 PM
It's very reasonable - my only advice to that though - change it to 185, loading 180 on a bb is a hassle! :p

You know I love me those lil donuts ;)

Glad it sounds reasonable! I was afraid it was gonna be, "pffft, you should be able to get to 180 in the next 4 months, Andrea, you slacker you." :D

But to take it out of my specific squat goal, in general is there some kind of guideline that you should be able to increase your big lifts by x amount and your db lifts by y amount in 6 months or something? Barring major injury and assuming eating to grow, of course. Or is it so individual to every person that there can't be a useful guideline? And if so, how DO you figure out what kinda gains you personally should be making?

thehobbes
12-26-2011, 06:40 PM
You know I love me those lil donuts ;)

Glad it sounds reasonable! I was afraid it was gonna be, "pffft, you should be able to get to 180 in the next 4 months, Andrea, you slacker you." :D
Wow, no you're not a slacker! :p That's a pretty big jump, especially since you're already squatting more than body weight. I'd be really impressed if you did it in 4, that's like 12lbs a month.

But to take it out of my specific squat goal, in general is there some kind of guideline that you should be able to increase your big lifts by x amount and your db lifts by y amount in 6 months or something? Barring major injury and assuming eating to grow, of course. Or is it so individual to every person that there can't be a useful guideline? And if so, how DO you figure out what kinda gains you personally should be making?
Nope. :)

After newb gains you should still be moving forward on everything. You'll be stronger at some lifts and have more difficulty with others - I personally find pressing lifts are much easier for me for whatever reason, and I can increase quickly, while squats cause me some trouble since there is just so much you need to keep track of with your form. You should be able to kind of eyeball it after a while. For me with db bench I can usually move up another level (5lbs each db) after a few months and get around the same number of reps I was doing before. OHP I tack on a couple extra reps at my max weight every month or two. I sometimes just get plain stuck though. I'm stuck on DL now (probably because my squat kind of sucks) and I remember jumping from 60s to 65s on db bench felt like an eternity. You *should* be able to look back on a calendar year and make gains for each major bb lift where you can say that was at least a pretty good increase. If you don't eat for it and stop doing certain lifts for a long time don't expect any miracles though.

Going by the workouts you post in your log I'd say you're right on track.