PDA

View Full Version : Back impingement at base of shoulder blades , stretches, post workout routines?

67fastback
12-05-2011, 10:51 AM
My trainer has revamped a number of my lifting techniques. Yeah but he's in his 20's so doen't necessarily appreciate all the old-fart aches and pains.

What I am now working on, is having a much more pronounced back arch in the BP and rows (shoulder/back/pull-ups etc.)

Where I am noticing a bit of a problem, is at the base of my shoulder blades (if you think of pulling your shoulder blades together and "locking-in" on a back row) That's where I have an annoying bit of tightness. When I am sleeping, it wakes me up.

Sure some of it, is just mechanically changing my postion, and some of it is, working a new set of muscles.

Unless I end up with major problems, I'm going to keep up with the technique changes, but in the meantime (until I get used to it);
Can any of you guys recommend, a complimentary stretching or exercising routine, that has helped, or might help with this?

Thanks

MrNismo
12-05-2011, 11:54 AM
You already using a foam roller? If not, start. Also there are spots in that area that you can't really get to properly with a foam roller so a tennis ball (or lacrosse ball once you've worked up to it) are needed to really dig in there. I swear it's the greatest thing I've ever learned to deal with pain in all areas of the body.

Edit: Oh yeah one thing that should help with making sure tightness is not such a factor in getting that arch is these:

uzWOECAhsAM

gbg
12-05-2011, 01:05 PM
You already using a foam roller? If not, start. Also there are spots in that area that you can't really get to properly with a foam roller so a tennis ball (or lacrosse ball once you've worked up to it) are needed to really dig in there. I swear it's the greatest thing I've ever learned to deal with pain in all areas of the body.

Edit: Oh yeah one thing that should help with making sure tightness is not such a factor in getting that arch is these:

uzWOECAhsAM

I second this. If the knots are real bad PVC works well.

67fastback
12-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys