PDA

View Full Version : Herniated Disk/Piriformis Syndrome

angelkisssed
11-16-2011, 05:47 AM
I was diagnosed with a herniated disk in L5 S1 (unless I mixed 'em up haha) with subsequent piriformis muscle spasms which effect my sciatic nerve causing me great pain. Saw a physical therapist who specializes in sports science, and he gave me a bunch of stretches to help heal the mild herniation and relax the piriformis, with the admonition to continue lifting but with lighter loads/more sets, etc. I've been following Wendler's program since January of this year. I'm passionate about heavy lifting, and keeping it simple. Even toyed with the idea of competing in some powerlifting comps. Fast Forward many months to today (injury occurred in March or so) and it still hasn't healed itself making training hit or miss, depending on how my back was feeling. So back to the physical therapist I go. He tells me to quite lifting all together. So I do. Started the steroid (again) and just finished it a couple days ago. Officially off NSAID's for 3 days now and functioning. Working. But I'm going out of my EFN mind!!! I miss lifting so bad I could scream. So I wait. And wait. It's been 2 weeks without setting foot in the gym with the exception of training a client. 2 weeks is nothing really, but I'm stressing about how long this is going to take to heal. Lifting is my passion and one that I'd like to continue to do for many years to come. I don't want to be an idiot now and pay for it later. I'm just frustrated with this injury in general. I take such good care of myself in all other aspects of my life that I almost feel entitled to be injury free (how stupid is THAT)?! My goal is just to maintain the muscle that I've built thus far (was actually in the throes of an awesome bulk) and continue to let this injury heal. Just wondered if anyone out there is in training limbo HELL or has been, and how you managed to cope, or are managing as it were....

Flex over and out ;)

koreanpride
11-16-2011, 01:52 PM
I have been playing with back pain for almost a year now due to reinjuring probably 4 times due to my impatience. I am now taking an extended break to hit 100%, gonna do a pullup program with core work. I understand your frustrations, but make the mistake of rushing into it and a potential 2-3 month heal can quickly turn to a year and we both know the difference between the two