PDA

View Full Version : Rest periods between workouts?

Marky213
11-07-2011, 10:31 AM
I have recently started a work out program however from what I have heard some say the rest period between major muscle groups is 72hrs others 48hrs can anyone shed any light on this?

Trigger543
11-07-2011, 10:35 AM
I go for 48 hours unless I'm still very sore

Do what you feel like doing, listen to your body. If you're extremely sore after your workout for 3 days, do something else, but if you're just a little sore then go for it.

Marky213
11-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks Trigger, I feel ok after my workout so I'll stick to 48hrs see how it goes...thanks

NYkarate
11-07-2011, 11:35 AM
No way to really answer this. It all depends on how high the volume you train with, how well your diet is, how much rest you give your body and your individual genetics. You really need to figure this out for yourself. That said, I think you can push yourself more than you think you can.

Guinea-pig
11-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Since your figuring out your frequency of workouts might as well do all of them.

When to train
How long to train
Training tempo
Changing training schedules
Figure them all out and you'll be on your way.
GOOD LUCk!!!

Marius_Ursus
11-07-2011, 05:13 PM
No way to really answer this. It all depends on how high the volume you train with, how well your diet is, how much rest you give your body and your individual genetics. You really need to figure this out for yourself. That said, I think you can push yourself more than you think you can.

This.

Depending on your programming, you could do the same exercises every day and still make progress depending of course on the type of progress you want to make...and other variables.

DubfromGA
11-07-2011, 05:41 PM
When I trained in high school & college I could skip a day and hit it again. There was only muscle soreness back then. I ate like a horse and slept 6-7 hrs or more each night.

Fast forward (and I do mean really fast forward, it seems) to present day. Now it's the tendons and other connective tissue that concerns me. I also don't sleep as much as I did back then, I work much harder, etc. etc. I'm also cutting now so that makes a difference.

I currently hit a bodypart every 4-5 days.