PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have/tried out a Chromebook?

pogue
10-27-2011, 11:52 AM
They sound interesting and I understand when you buy one it comes with a subscription to 3G from Verizon or AT&T for 1/2 years or something? The downside I hear is that you can't run any local software on it. For example, Cnet reviewed it and said there was no way to unzip an attachment they got unless they found a web tool that could unzip files.

Does anyone have one and could tell me about it?

Thanks,
pogue

AA43560
10-27-2011, 11:56 AM
negged

wayprotein
10-27-2011, 11:59 AM
They sound interesting and I understand when you buy one it comes with a subscription to 3G from Verizon or AT&T for 1/2 years or something? The downside I hear is that you can't run any local software on it. For example, Cnet reviewed it and said there was no way to unzip an attachment they got unless they found a web tool that could unzip files.

Thanks,
pogue
they sound crappy the second you lose internet the whole thing is useless. and sometimes you need to run applications that are not web based also botnet

pogue
10-27-2011, 12:07 PM
they sound crappy the second you lose internet the whole thing is useless. and sometimes you need to run applications that are not web based also botnet

Well, its supposed to have offline support too, but thats why I was asking. Apparently iCloud is the same kind of setup now. But, if you had cell data coverage instead of just using wifi wouldn't you mostly have internet most all the time w/ it?

pietro11
10-27-2011, 12:08 PM
the subscription you get is very small tho..something like 100mb per month :/

if you want to try a cloud os that's very similar chrome os
install joli os on an old laptop and see if you web based computing is for you

glVQCxMuQRY

B4ltwLuuw1M

Otaman
10-27-2011, 12:10 PM

Thanks,
pogue

my friend has the Wifi one. Payed 425 for it I think.

So far he loves it. I tried it a few times. Super fast, instant load from sleep, really good battery life (8-10 hrs).

Great laptop for internet, movies, music, etc. And there are tons of web apps to compensate for lack of windows programs. I think there is an alternative for winrar

Hope that helped

pietro11
10-27-2011, 12:16 PM
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/how-to-install-googles-chrome-os/9006

has a link to dl chrome os

MiscMathematician
10-27-2011, 03:09 PM
I have a couple of the google ones. I find them okay, nothing particularly special. I installed ubuntu on one of them and leave it at my office so I don't always have to lug my laptop around. Chrome OS makes me feel trapped. I'm not a huge fan of it in its current state. Anything over $200 is way too much for a chromebook IMO...

Dont Judge Me
10-27-2011, 03:15 PM
I just really don't see the point, but I don't have one. Aren't they the same cost as a regular laptop?