PDA

View Full Version : I think I got my friend to catch on, how about you?

hieuie118
10-23-2011, 12:05 AM
So my friend and I are trying to lose weight together. Before the spring semester was over we agreed to lose weight and see how it was when we came back in the fall.

I lost 20 pounds. He did not.

So I decided to ask him a serious of questions, he didn't have to understand them but just think about them. His name is Mark. So heres a few memorable things that happened last gym session.

1) So I randomly asked him out of no where ," How much do you want Mark?"

Mark:" um...huh?"

Me: Answer the question.

Mark: " I want enough? You?"

Me: "I want it all."

2. About to run a mile...

Me: " How fast do you think you can run it?"

Mark:" I dunno about 9 or 10 minutes, Im shooting for 8, you?"

Me: " Not fast enough. How fast you think you can run it?"

Mark: " Faster than you."

I was really proud of how he changed his mindset, he's a bit bigger than me but I think hell do just fine.

Anyone else have any stories of helping inspiring other people?

ImSuperSerial
10-23-2011, 04:55 AM
I tried to, but people stop listening once you smack them in their face with all the hard work and dedication it requires.

hieuie118
10-23-2011, 01:50 PM
I tried to, but people stop listening once you smack them in their face with all the hard work and dedication it requires.

I know what you mean, my friends keep throwing things at me like i don't know what I'm talking about and the reason i lost weight is because i reduced my portions.
You can only teach the willing. My i feel like football or some sort of competitive sport athletes have a better grasp of hard work and dedication than the average
person who just wants to work out

babyraww
10-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Honestly I don't think there's a way to convince someone to lose weight. It all really comes from the person him/herself (at least, in my experience). For me, I just woke up one day and said: "I really want a six pack now. I hate being chubby!" I started that day and accomplished my goal. It was just an over night thing for me

Willthorn
10-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Everyone listens and is with you until you say what it entails, how much work and dedication it is and how long it will take. Then you instantly lose them.

Austere
10-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that such a competitive mindset has no place in bodybuilding/powerlifting unless you're actually a professional competing against other professionals?

I always was taught that we should compete against ourselves to make ourselves better. It's purposeless for me to compare myself against guys like Bolton or Magnusson. On a more relatable note, it's purposeless for a guy with TRex arms to compare his deadlift growth against a Gant-lookalike.