PDA

View Full Version : Motivation needed

alheff13
10-22-2011, 10:44 PM
So I have worked out in the past and when I was in the military I it down to 168. Now I'm 230, yikes. Work, school and the relationship take up most of my time. Mind you my other half doesn't workout. Can someone give me tips, I get in these kicks then I fall off the wagon...I have a gym at my complex and weights at home too...also history of bulging disc with sciatica...just frustrated bc I want to but feel tired all the time

Amriacle
10-22-2011, 10:55 PM
So I have worked out in the past and when I was in the military I it down to 168. Now I'm 230, yikes. Work, school and the relationship take up most of my time. Mind you my other half doesn't workout. Can someone give me tips, I get in these kicks then I fall off the wagon...I have a gym at my complex and weights at home too...also history of bulging disc with sciatica...just frustrated bc I want to but feel tired all the time

you know what i always thought to myself when i lacked motivation op? i thought if i start working now i can look better even if by alittle bit because believe me op if you saw my before pics you'd laugh so hard but now after 2 year i think i am beginning to look like a half decent person so yes it gets better you find people around you treating you differently and it impacts your health your career and your social life so why not start now? i mean 1 year from now you'll think to yourself why didn't i start last year?

elainedeluca
10-23-2011, 03:52 AM

Set a goal and a time frame ("x" number of pounds in "x" months), otherwise going to the gym may just feel like your going to "just go". If you feel tired, then change your workout time to first thing AM after a cup of coffee (or whatever). Just think that each day you do not exercise and eat properly, that number on the scale may be 231 the next day, and 232 the day after that, and so on. Once you see little changes taking place, it will motivate you even more. I know it's hard at first--after my gym break, I could barely get through 30 minutes of cardio. Now I am contest-ready for 11/12. I set the goal, as I always wanted to do a specific contest, and just kept doing everything I could to get there. So my point is, SET A GOAL.

Good luck!

latebloomingmom
10-23-2011, 07:51 PM
I know a lot of people that gain weight after leaving the military and getting back into civilian life..you are working full or part-time and is school full-time or part time? there is a gym on campus? or no? if you have an hour and half to two hour break in between you could go to gym. You will have to make this a priority in your life...laziness is catchy like a disease...if we live with someone who eats junk, sits around, does not exercise...well, why would they feel very encouraging when you try to do this for yourself? this is about your health and feeling better about yourself. you will have to make that clear to this person in your life.
those who are not for me...are against me

harebearva
10-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Just come up with a good plan, set a start date, and go to it. As far as the injury, get the docs to OK you for whatever workouts you choose. Just do your best and work around the injury. What worked for me was to script everything out for 3 months. Printout calendars showing every workout you plan to do and mark them off as you complete them. Get in the habit of writing down everything in your diet and workouts and keep a journal. Before you know it, it will become routine and will feel unnatural if you stop! As far as the spouse, My wife told me that if she had to workout like I do to lose weight then she'd stay fat. Well that made me work harder! 95 pounds later, her tune has changed a bit! I've been there my man, the more weight you lose the better you'll feel and the tiredness will slowly disappear.

just remind yourself.... NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING SKINNY FEELS!

Hope this helps.

TheProgressiveOne
10-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Set a goal and a time frame ("x" number of pounds in "x" months), otherwise going to the gym may just feel like your going to "just go". If you feel tired, then change your workout time to first thing AM after a cup of coffee (or whatever). Just think that each day you do not exercise and eat properly, that number on the scale may be 231 the next day, and 232 the day after that, and so on. Once you see little changes taking place, it will motivate you even more. I know it's hard at first--after my gym break, I could barely get through 30 minutes of cardio. Now I am contest-ready for 11/12. I set the goal, as I always wanted to do a specific contest, and just kept doing everything I could to get there. So my point is, SET A GOAL.

Good luck!

On top of this I find setting smaller goals help with this

my yearly goal for 2012-13 are as follows:
Overall-6kg lean mass gained
Monthly-take measurements and review progress
Weekly-hit PR's on at least 2 lifts
Daily-hit as close as I can to calorie macros

As u break things down things are a lot less scary! U can also have an increasing goal such as 20 mins cardio on week 1, 25 on week 2, 30 on week 3, 45 on week 4, then reset....

Luis614
10-24-2011, 10:37 PM
do you have a wife or a GF? That should be your motivation. In the back of her mind shes going, "man he use to look so good at 168" lol. I was 234 and now 170, id hate to go back to that.

smithy145
10-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Watch some motivational vids. they're great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slF58ZrvA7I&feature=related

hd99931337
10-28-2011, 12:44 AM
I can understand how having a bulging disc can affect your lifestyle since I too fall in that category. Just take care while working out certain bodyparts and for the all-day-I'm-tired feeling get some good sleep and drink loads of water.

For motivation there are a thousand things you can do (just going through some of the posts in this section will do) but in the end it all boils down to how badly do you want to have the body of a ripped warrior? Gets me going all the time.

shaushaj
10-28-2011, 02:08 AM
some people will.tell u abou what to eat and what to do and you have the knowledge to do it. It about motivation and applying it. Being in the military u know what it takes to be what u want. But doing it is another story. Consitancy is key. And you already know this. So keep up the worl bud and if u need advice (im) for help im truing to get back myself!