PDA

View Full Version : Motivation down the drain

babyraww
10-22-2011, 08:20 PM
For 3 years straight I was extremely dedicated, not a single day missed of working out or anything. But then suddenly I start a new college year and things just went down the drain. It wasn't bad at first but soon I started skipping workouts all the time and my diet went down the drain. The classes I'm taking usually make me have to study a lot, and I also work, but to tell you the truth, I just really hate going to the gym now. I despise it. I always try to look for ways out. It's not so much the working out I hate, but the place in general, the getting ready, the people and everything combined makes me hate it. Any advice?

bcollins2011
10-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Please note, this is just my take on this.. You just seem overwhelmed with school, work, and life in general right now.. And completely burned out with the gym.. We all know the only way to get back into a healthy pattern is to want it.. You have to have that spark.

I would suggest to sit down for a minute and think back to 3 yrs ago WHY u started in the first place??. Remember how you felt after each workout.. All of the energy that comes with it... Try something new maybe. Maybe something outside?.. Write some new goals out??..

Like i said these are just a couple ideas.. Good luck..

xxsenix
10-22-2011, 10:20 PM
No one is going to succeed in convincing you to work out if deep down you have no desire to do so. Listen to bcollins and remember why you started in the first place. And also, remember any feelings of gratification you might have gotten when you were in the zone. And realize you want to feel that again.

Of course you'll always have your priorities, but you can always make time for the gym. No excuse.

NateCFFB
10-22-2011, 10:38 PM
I actually just wrote a blog on the subject of motivation. In your case man, it might just be mixing it up a little bit. You don't have to go to your local Gold's Gym to get a workout. A big part of lifting is the community. If you hate the people there, look somewhere else. Try something new (CrossFit, Insanity, etc.) and see how you like that. You are not required to go to a specific gym, branch out. A lot of places offer 2 week trials at no catch. If you want to read that post my blog is in my signature. Also feel free to message me on here. Fitness is a huge part in life, it improves the overall quality. You are not required to lift weights to get in shape. Best of luck!

babyraww
10-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks guys! I started cause I was kinda chubby to begin with. I lost the weight and I look great but after a while I just got burnt out. Now I can get back into the groove of things but I can't do it for long periods of time like I was able to in the past. It sucks! I've been thinking about buying an elliptical to help out. We'll see how it goes though. The gyms around me are either too far away or not 24/7 unfortunately

rtljmc17
10-23-2011, 02:38 PM
mEHQ9tzJpYA&feature=related

latebloomingmom
10-23-2011, 07:45 PM
I think if you have the space then yes, buy one..it wont replace the gym but it will at least give you something to use on the days you just cant quite get to the gym!

selffirst
10-24-2011, 03:20 AM
You need to figure out what has changed to make your mindset do a 360.......Once that is clear..You'll be able to fix it...Sounds like our blocking something....Did a assho*le at the gym comment on you????...Was it a family remember????Something to think about....

G4M3R
10-24-2011, 05:17 PM
You have to want it. The best advice I can say is look for new ways to workout. Although your goals are different from mine on days I don't want to go to the gym I find some farm chores to do i.e Chopping Wood, loading feed sacks on my shoulders and running to the troth instead of using the four-wheeler. I love doing stuff like that.

FunkDaddy
10-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Maybe the gym simply isn't the right place for you anymore. Maybe you should take up jogging or something, find another fitness regime that you enjoy...in time, maybe you'll desire the weightlifting again. The gym is not a necessity, but you should stay active so you don't gain the weight back and more than likely get depressed/lose even more motivation.