PDA

View Full Version : scared sh!tless to install 2nd GPU (srs)

Heracles26
10-22-2011, 06:45 PM
because of static

i have never built a pc or installed a single component

i want to install a 2nd 6870 but i have no idea how to go about it without destroying my pc

Fist-Of-Freedom
10-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Before you install it, put on some fuzzy socks and run around on your carpet.

notsrs. before you install it just touch the metal on your case and unplug the power to your psu.

Just Live
10-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Probably not a good idea to put it in. I'll take it off your hands.. I'll even pay shipping

Heracles26
10-22-2011, 06:51 PM

notsrs, you'll be fine. before you install it just touch the metal on your case.

lol'd

- is it ok if my pc case is painted?
- what part of the case do i touch?
- pc turned off obviously (at power point and switch behind pc case)??
- do i leave power cord plugged in?

Weezy32
10-22-2011, 06:57 PM
lol'd

no lol dont leave power cord plugged in

Also touch any metal part lol there is no specific area. Maybe look at some youtube videos on how to put in a vid card before doing it. Its not a scary or hard as people want you to believe.

TallDH
10-22-2011, 06:58 PM
lol'd

1. yes
2. The metal part. In other words, a piece of metal that is part of your case.
3. Just unplug the power cord
4. see above.

guideX
10-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Are you sure your computer has the capability?
- 2 x PCI-E video card slots
- 600+ watt power supply

be careful... please stay safe

kpham
10-22-2011, 07:07 PM
You don't really have to worry about static if you live somewhere humid. Just frequently touch the metal part of your case and you should be good.

Heracles26
10-22-2011, 07:14 PM
my specs are:

CPU = Phenom II X6 1090T Black
CPU Cooler = Noctua NH D14
MOBO = Gigabyte 890FX UD5
GPU = Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD6870 1GB
PSU = Corsair HX 750
RAM = G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz 4GB DDR3
HDD = Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Case = Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced

i have been told i can get a 2nd 6870 with this set up

i just assumed a 2nd card will fit??

- i will put my heater on full blast to make it hot in my room before hand

- i have heard you should leave the power cord plugged in?

- do i unplug all the cables from the back of my pc case?

FuzzeWuzze
10-22-2011, 07:21 PM
You must be trolling...

Incase you arent, ****ing unplug the power from the PC and wait until all lights inside your case are off(5-10 seconds).
Pull card from box
Find PCIE slot directly below your current Video card
Remove the screw's for the two brackets below your current video card, remove metal brackets
Insert adapter into slot, it should lock into place so dont go try pulling it out without using the tab at the end of the slot.

Do you still need to use SLI Connectors between the two adapters now adays? Not sure but if you have one plug that in between your two adapters.

Turn on PC and enjoy.

The only point of touching the case is to ground yourself, its not rocket science and the **** isnt that sensitive to ESD that just touching the adapter will fry it. You'd have to run around rubbing your feet on the ground for an hour and touch nothing but the chip on the card lol.

Heracles26
10-22-2011, 07:29 PM
not trolling just nervous as phuk!!

thanks for the help brahs

once i install the 2nd card do i need to change any settings on my pc?

TouchdownRobots
10-23-2011, 12:21 AM

dude, raising the heat will lower the relative humidity. less humidity=more static

ImpulsePainter
10-23-2011, 12:33 AM

notsrs. before you install it just touch the metal on your case and unplug the power to your psu.

shouldn't you leave it plugged in to ground the computer, but turn the psu off? o.O

e: i'd think that components these days have enough static shielding to really protect the parts.

I had it so bad on my old computer that often times when I touched the case, I'd get a *ZAP*, and then the computer would restart. lmfao that was some scary sh!t.

SiNiStEr94
10-23-2011, 12:42 AM
once i install the 2nd card do i need to change any settings on my pc?

Just in catalyst control center to turn crossfire on.

installing pc hardware is a breeze cuzz. quit sweatin it.

Heracles26
10-23-2011, 01:31 AM
do thr sli connector bands cone with the card or do i have to buy 1 seperately?

Spetsnazos
10-23-2011, 02:39 AM
lol horrible ways of grounding yourself but I guess that works. You actually want to be grounded via earth ground...

Spetsnazos
10-23-2011, 02:40 AM
e: i'd think that components these days have enough static shielding to really protect the parts.

they have a few but not really all that much. You gotta remember, frying a op amp is pretty damn easy...

Heracles26
10-23-2011, 02:41 AM
lol horrible ways of grounding yourself but I guess that works. You actually want to be grounded via earth ground...

what do you mean?

SCAR-H
10-23-2011, 02:41 AM
Ive built about 3 PCs so far and have never grounded myself using that wrist thing. All I do is touch a metal part of the case before I get to work. I do that every time I stand up and kneel back down.

MiscMathematician
10-23-2011, 03:25 AM
shouldn't you leave it plugged in to ground the computer, but turn the psu off? o.O

I had it so bad on my old computer that often times when I touched the case, I'd get a *ZAP*, and then the computer would restart. lmfao that was some scary sh!t.

You are correct, the cord should remain plugged into the wall.

devil_s haircut
10-23-2011, 06:14 AM
You should be fine (emphasis on "should"). I've never used anything more than the case to ground myself, and I've put together computers in a dry, carpeted room numerous times.

The only issue is that the amount of static charge it takes to fry PC components is less than the amount needed to be seen by the human eye. So you could fry something and not even know it until you tried to power everything on.

dzj
10-23-2011, 09:12 AM
I've fooled around in my computer before with no problems. But if you want to play it safe just buy this. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103245

Also make sure you unplug the computer completely and touch the metal case to discharge

Also I don't think you can pick up ANY 6870 to crossfire. I believe it has to be matching brands or something maybe someone can chime in

Heracles26
10-23-2011, 03:04 PM
I've fooled around in my computer before with no problems. But if you want to play it safe just buy this. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103245

Also make sure you unplug the computer completely and touch the metal case to discharge

Also I don't think you can pick up ANY 6870 to crossfire. I believe it has to be matching brands or something maybe someone can chime in

ive been told it doesnt matter what brand the 2nd 6870 is...

SipNPiz
10-23-2011, 03:06 PM
hold power buttom down for 10 seconds before u open the case (its uplugged of course)

lotusfreek
10-23-2011, 03:41 PM
ive been told it doesnt matter what brand the 2nd 6870 is...

Depends on the bios version tbh. Most of the time it isn't an issue. Just make sure the clock speeds are the same on boot up to avoid any annoying issues.

Heracles26
10-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Depends on the bios version tbh. Most of the time it isn't an issue. Just make sure the clock speeds are the same on boot up to avoid any annoying issues.

i pretty much understood none of what you just said lol

i was gona buy an oc'ed 6870 cause thats all i could find

TouchdownRobots
10-23-2011, 07:46 PM
i pretty much understood none of what you just said lol

i was gona buy an oc'ed 6870 cause thats all i could find

try to get the same brand and model as the one you already have. If you cant find that one then look for one with similar clock speeds. It wouldnt make sense to mix a reference model card with one with a aftermarket cooler

obmas
10-23-2011, 08:21 PM
jeeze...

I don't think I have worried once about static whenever I go into my PC to take out or install something. You're worrying too much.

Heracles26
10-23-2011, 08:26 PM
try to get the same brand and model as the one you already have. If you cant find that one then look for one with similar clock speeds. It wouldnt make sense to mix a reference model card with one with a aftermarket cooler

yeah i will try but no luck so far

Stringer-Bell
10-23-2011, 08:30 PM
because of static

If you want to be 99.9% sure strip an old wire from a telephone or something to obtain the copper wire from inside... tie it around your wrist, and tie the other end to the computer's case or something else capable of dissipating/conducting electricity, but give yourself enough slack so that you can properly install the video card =p....

I install cards of all sort in employee PC's everyday and I take no precautions for static, as long as you're not messing around inside it for prolonged periods, and you're able to quickly install the card you should have no problem. I wouldn't wear any long-sleeve wool clothing either XD

I dunno who's method of grounding you were calling horrible, but if you were referring to the guy that said touching the computer case is all you need to do then in essence he's right, as long as you're touching the case when a static shock occurs the metal case will absorb it.... static electricity discharges aren't strong enough to require an actual soil & dirt ground-wire, he's installing a video card not building a power-plant

erftbll81
10-23-2011, 09:59 PM
i swap out parts from my computer all the time, do it on the carpet, wearing socks, not a single **** was given. Just make sure one hand is always touching metal of the case. Or get one of those gay little wrist straps.

Heracles26
10-23-2011, 10:54 PM
will i need a screwdriver or anything to install the gpu or does it just click in??

im such a noob lol

obmas
10-23-2011, 11:54 PM
will i need a screwdriver or anything to install the gpu or does it just click in??

im such a noob lol

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Kkg7XHt7mJA/TLHaLwsyefI/AAAAAAAAAoE/vHbAkLo0Bag/Securing%20Video%20Card.jpg

Heracles26
10-24-2011, 12:30 AM
^^^ i'll take that as a yes

dzj
10-24-2011, 08:24 AM
^^^ i'll take that as a yes

Try to use a non-magnetic bit screwdriver, it's literally 1 screw you remove and tighten down. (not including if you need any screws to remove the case)

MiKey4
10-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Why so nervous? Just unplug the power and tap the metal frame with a screwdriver or something

edit- yes you should have a screwdriver kit. You can buy a multi-kit with pliers and everything for very cheap, if you're spending $200 on a GPU it's worth it for future. The case screws are usually a different size to the motherboard screws it's just easier to get a pack.

Very good to have just for a routine dust cleaning to keep all the hardware/fans clean and working efficiently.

Stringer-Bell
10-24-2011, 10:57 AM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Kkg7XHt7mJA/TLHaLwsyefI/AAAAAAAAAoE/vHbAkLo0Bag/Securing%20Video%20Card.jpg

While you will definitely need a screwdriver when working on a computer you may not need one for expansion cards (shown above) as all cases are different.... it may just have a metal locking mechanism that doesn't use screws

SynapticCleft
10-24-2011, 11:49 AM
my specs are:

CPU = Phenom II X6 1090T Black
CPU Cooler = Noctua NH D14
MOBO = Gigabyte 890FX UD5
GPU = Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD6870 1GB
PSU = Corsair HX 750
RAM = G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz 4GB DDR3
HDD = Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Case = Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced

i have been told i can get a 2nd 6870 with this set up

i just assumed a 2nd card will fit??

- i have heard you should leave the power cord plugged in?

- do i unplug all the cables from the back of my pc case?
Your mobo looks good for installing a second gpu and case is extremely easy to work with. You will need a phillips head screw driver.

1. Why would you turn your heater up? Are you sure you are not a troll?
2. As long as you flip the off switch on on the PSU you can leave it plugged in. If you are paranoid of accidentally turning on your rig, go ahead and unplug it.
3. If it will help you install, go ahead and unplug everything. My case is on my table, so I don't have to bend over in an awkward angle to open my case. As a result I don't have to unplug all my cables.

Hardnutcheck
10-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Years ago, I pulled the ram out of a computer that was still running.

Never worked after that.

Please stay safe.

leafs43
10-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Easiest way to avoid static is to just keep a hand on a metal part of the PCs casing.

That grounds you.

There are also bands that you can wrap around your wrist and clip onto your case if you require both hands free.

MiKey4
10-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Years ago, I pulled the ram out of a computer that was still running.

Never worked after that.

Please stay safe.

Ahahahaha. Not even after a CMOS reset? Why would you do such a thing?

Heracles26
10-24-2011, 02:24 PM
wont turning on the heater make the room more humid?

i will buy a 6870 and screwdriver kit today

(im going to get a gigabyte 6870 but oc'ed version - this should still be compatible with my gigabyte 6870 non-oc version)

Spetsnazos
10-24-2011, 03:04 PM
wont turning on the heater make the room more humid?

No...the moisture content in air doesnt increase because the room has a higher heat load. The water molucules can condense though...