PDA

View Full Version : onlive mini review

chodan9
10-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Not sure how many here have tried onlive.
I just signed up a couple days ago and played a half hour trial of a game (assasins creed 2) and it played ok but I was at work on a 300 meg internet connection so I thought I would try it sometime at home.
I have a 12 meg x 768 k dsl connection at there.
the service works like remote desktop for games, thats the only analogy I can think of.
the game is ran remotely on their servers, using their gpu's etc. you access it using a client that you download (1 meg dl)
The graphics are surprisingly good considering this.
I wanted to try a full game but did not want to risk 30-50 bucks to try one.
This weekend they have a special to get any game for $1 so I said "what the hell, I'll try it."
I got deus ex human revolution augmented edition for a dollar
you still have to purchase the games like normal, you just don't have to download or install them.
you buy them and access them instantly via the client.
Since your using their server CPU/GPU power you don't need a killer rig, my work laptop is a core2 duo 2.0 ghz with a 256 meg integrated gpu, my home pc is a core2 quad 2.4 ghz wiht a radeon 6950 both have 4 gigs ram.
both play exactly the same.
I paid for the game ($1) and clicked play and the game loaded.
I have only been playing for a couple hours but so far the game is awesome. Does it look as good as a locally installed game? well probably not as good as it would look installed on my desktop, but I'm pretty sure it would be barely playable installed on my laptop, it looks very acceptable, their is a slight softening of everything but its not noticeable and is easy to ignore.
The one thing I noticed was as I was crouching through some air vents in the game there was a slight hang in the game, then an icon popped up saying "network problem" it lasted about 5 seconds and only happened once. If you have an iffy internet connection you probably would see that happen a lot.
I like the steam network and have ordered a couple games on it, and it works great, but I have a fairly decent system and and a job that allows me to upgrade hardware pretty regularly.
I see posts every so often from people wishing the could afford to upgrade so the could play various games, onlive would allow you to play the latest games even with a basic system, you could do skyrim or BF3 or Rage etc without worrying about system specs.
you lose the ability to do mods though with this service, and mods are one of the better aspects of pc gaming.
Anyway thats my quick review, please give your own thoughts if you have tried it.
here is the site btw
www.onlive.com

lotusfreek
10-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Tried it a bit ago. The input lag was annoying.

chodan9
10-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Tried it a bit ago. The input lag was annoying.
ah yes
I forgot to mention that
there is a little lag on input
the weird thing for me was the lag was more noticeable at work (which is a much higher bandwidth with very low latency)
I also noticed that deus ex had less noticeable lag as compared to assassins creed 2

Criollo
10-22-2011, 02:26 PM
ah yes
I forgot to mention that
there is a little lag on input
the weird thing for me was the lag was more noticeable at work (which is a much higher bandwidth with very low latency)
I also noticed that deus ex had less noticeable lag as compared to assassins creed 2

That would drive me crazy. Nice review though

chodan9
10-31-2011, 07:26 AM
an update
I was travelling this weekend and was staying at a holiday inn express in Murray kentucky.
It had fairly crappy wifi,
SO I took my laptop with me and when I had a free moment I fired up onlive.
IT started the first time, and attempted to load the game but was extremely pixelated (like a low res video stream) and after a few seconds it disconnected, it popped up a notice saying it recommended a wired connection over a wifi. The room had an ethernet port so I plugged in but it would not even connect to online then (although the internet speed picked up a little.)
I attempted to connect via my 3G wifi hotspot on my droid and got the same results.
bottom line is you need a consistent high speed connection to use this service.