PDA

View Full Version : Hernia blues.....

jblank2
10-18-2011, 01:39 PM
I found out today I have a hernia behind my belly button (can't remember the correct term for it) but it is small and the doctor could not tell me whether I could lift or not. She only told me that lifting COULD make it worse. I am extremely depressed because I spent the last 9 months losing almost 100 lbs and really starting to see the glimpses of what my physique could potentially be and now I feel like that is all going to die (SEE BODYSPACE FOR PROGRESS). Does anyone want to share a similar experience and how you handled it? BTW I am not over the age of 35 but feel I am more mature than posting in the teen section. Any recommendations you can make to help me get thru would be appreciated. Thanks.

DubfromGA
10-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Fear not.

This is something you can work past...like most injuries.

We are in the same boat. I had one below the naval patched 6 years ago with mesh. I've lost 115 pounds since March and began lifting weights in June.

I have another one above the naval that needs repairing. Gonna schedule it for late December. Two months of no lifting.

My hernias came from being a couch potato and then having to lift something random. My beer gut was always pulling down on my abdomen, too. Getting rid of the fat, keeping lean and training my core will go a long way towards prevention.

You'll get through it. It's just part of the legacy of being extremely overweight. You did a super job of getting motivated and getting that weight off. You are smart to do it at your age. Your joints will thank you. Trust me....waiting until 42 like I did was not smart.

Get it repaired and then take measures to keep it away....developing those abs as part of a balanced weight training plan. It does suck outright having setbacks. I believe I understand your motivation and now anger that it may be derailed. You will be able to leap past this hurdle.

The two months of recovery will, according to my doctors, allow for walking and maybe the elliptical. I will stay rock steady on my calories and maintain the weight loss during that period.

You will beat this.

jblank2
10-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Fear not.

We are in the same boat. I had one below the naval patched 6 years ago with mesh. I've lost 115 pounds since March and began lifting weights in June.

I have another one above the naval that needs repairing. Gonna schedule it for late December. Two months of no lifting.

My hernias came from being a couch potato and then having to lift something random. My beer gut was always pulling down on my abdomen, too. Getting rid of the fat, keeping lean and training my core will go a long way towards prevention.

You'll get through it. It's just part of the legacy of being extremely overweight. You did a super job of getting motivated and getting that weight off. You are smart to do it at your age. Your joints will thank you. Trust me....waiting until 42 like I did was not smart.

Get it repaired and then take measures to keep it away....developing those abs as part of a balanced weight training plan. It does suck outright having setbacks. I believe I understand your motivation and now anger that it may be derailed. You will be able to leap past this hurdle.

The two months of recovery will, according to my doctors, allow for walking and maybe the elliptical. I will stay rock steady on my calories and maintain the weight loss during that period.

You will beat this.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering.....did you lift up to the surgery or did you stop when you were diagnosed? I was diagnosed yesterday and am meeting with the surgeon next Wednesday and I was going to lift but stay away from things that were super ab intensive.

emp1acur
10-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the info. I was wondering.....did you lift up to the surgery or did you stop when you were diagnosed? I was diagnosed yesterday and am meeting with the surgeon next Wednesday and I was going to lift but stay away from things that were super ab intensive.

I had one in same spot just above navel. It started when I was in my 20s. I started weight training last year, and when I did, I asked my doctor whether I should have it fixed. Both he, and the surgeon I was referred to, said it would be recommended, and I was not comfortable with leaving it as is, given the extra stress on it from training. I had it done, and was off weight training for exactly 1 month, which was what surgeon had told me would be the case.

Late May, I injured my wrist, and it has still not improved. MRI just confirmed it has a few issues (TFCC and tendon tear, bone spurs, degeneration), so that is probably going to require surgery. Reason I mention that is that for me, it puts into perspective just how straight forward the hernia was compared to a mysterious wrist issue that prevents most upper body exercises for months with no end in sight.

One never knows how the hernia mesh will hold out long term, but for now for me it seems like a really minor blip. When I was off for the month, I committed to myself that I'd immerse myself in nutrition reading, which I did and that month was very valuable.

So, from my own personal experience, you'll do fine.

I did not alter my training leading up to surgery, but of course ask the surgeon for advice there. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Edit: Just checked out your profile, and you've made an amazing transformation. Clearly you have things under control. Keep it up.

dazlittle
10-19-2011, 09:29 AM
No advice to offer but just wanted to say you have done an awesome job so far.

repped.

Phattso
10-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Fear not.

You will beat this.

Two months? This may be so, but I have heard anywhere from 4 weeks to 6 weeks, dependent upon the individual, light lifting, etc.

paqua17
10-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Kudos on the work so far...

Only recommendation I can give you is that if your fear is that you'll put the weight back on then keep an eye on what you're eating to ensure you do not exceed your maintenance caloric level over an extended period. Just remember that although you have worked hard on losing the weight most of the work would have been in the kitchen ;)

jblank2
10-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Kudos on the work so far...

Only recommendation I can give you is that if your fear is that you'll put the weight back on then keep an eye on what you're eating to ensure you do not exceed your maintenance caloric level over an extended period. Just remember that although you have worked hard on losing the weight most of the work would have been in the kitchen ;)

Thanks for the advice. The last 7-8 months is the first time in my life that I have actually paid attention and cared about the food going into my gut. I know there is a calculator somewhere on the site regarding the maintenance calorie levels. Being so new to caring about my diet is where my skepticism is I think. I hope this time off will make me a believer. Thanks again.

paqua17
10-19-2011, 01:38 PM
There is a calculator but it will rarely be 100% accurate. You can just start by not changing your current eating habits and see whether you are gaining weight (in which case you should reduce the calories a bit), losing weight (in which case you are still in a deficit) or maintaining (in which case you know your approximate maintenance calories at your current activity level/weight).

If you start to add 1 lb a week over a few weeks start cutting back your calories until you are maintaining/losing.

Also remember that it is possible to continue losing weight even though you aren't exercising.

DubfromGA
10-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Two months? This may be so, but I have heard anywhere from 4 weeks to 6 weeks, dependent upon the individual, light lifting, etc.
It all depends.

Last time with the mesh, I wasn't living this lifestyle. I anticipate it going much easier this time.

8 weeks is what my surgeon said in my case. Perhaps he looked me over and saw how frail and whimpy I am. :)

One thing is for certain: strong core will be a very high priority once I recover from this surgery. I feel that strong abs will do wonders for me. I've never had 'ema and I want them. It will be a huge focus in my spring & summer training.

OP, you asked about training up to the procedure. My surgeon felt okay as long as it didn't overly involve / inflame the hernia. My primary doctor is a bodybuilder and has helped me work around it. They both agreed to allow me to delay the surgery two months to better fit my schedule.

Be careful and ask your doctor many questions before doing too much.