PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with college alcohol culture...

Austere
10-12-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm a junior in college, and I despise alcohol, how it tastes, what it does to you, etc. I haven't drank in several months.

Until yesterday. My roommates (and IRL friends) apparently heard that I had scored fairly well on the MCAT, so they told me to take shots to celebrate. I was reluctant, but they put so much pressure on me and threatened me with social ostracism to the point that I had to take 2 shots to shut them up. I later got annoyed and threatened to move out if this happened again, along with cutting all ties to them.

Have any of you faced social ostracism for refusing to drink? How did you deal with it? I would love to beat up and stab people, but that's illegal unfortunately.

Dnas
10-12-2011, 04:46 PM
social ostracism?
does not really sound like something FRIENDS would do.

or just take the shot.

canlift
10-12-2011, 04:47 PM
...just say no. if they get up in your grills about it tell them to fuarrk off. if they don't like you because of it they're not worth hanging round with.

delongeisgod
10-12-2011, 04:47 PM
kids will call you a pussy when you're 19, people will respect you when you're 24...you have to not give a ****. do what you gotta do to reach your goals.

demolished851
10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
just say no, but doesn't sound like you are a very fun person

tdub27
10-12-2011, 04:55 PM
well if this is any motivation, I just got an underage and now I'm in tons of sh*t and have to pay a fine, pay for and attend an alcohol class at my university, and pay for an ambulance.

Corb158
10-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Do you have a parent that's an alcoholic?
You just gotta tell them you don't want to. That's it, unless they're pinning you down and beer bonging it. No reason to drink if you don't want to, and if they can't understand your boundaries you should get away from them.
Don't ruin a night or make a big deal about it just shrug it off with a "Nah im good" and change the subject and don't let them even have a chance to push it on you.

ghattanj
10-12-2011, 05:58 PM
fit it into your macros ftw

vroompac
10-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Keep busy doing something else if you have to

MooseLaddin
10-12-2011, 06:44 PM
social ostracism?
does not really sound like something FRIENDS would do.

or just take the shot.

exactly if they are real friends legit they will respect your boundaries. My friends know I don't drink and have no interest in it, they respect that and though they all drink socially they never offer me a drink - that is real friends.

Austere
10-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Do you have a parent that's an alcoholic?
You just gotta tell them you don't want to. That's it, unless they're pinning you down and beer bonging it. No reason to drink if you don't want to, and if they can't understand your boundaries you should get away from them.
Don't ruin a night or make a big deal about it just shrug it off with a "Nah im good" and change the subject and don't let them even have a chance to push it on you.

I have a heart murmur, and my cardiologist ordered me to avoid alcohol. I didn't listen to him in my freshman year and got wasted every weekend.

Then a friend introduced me to weightlifting, and I quit fairly quickly. My grades improved, I became healthier, and I began to feel great.

I've been removed from regular drinking for so long that I simply can't tolerate the taste of alcohol anymore.

GymShowerNap
10-12-2011, 06:57 PM
If your post is serious, you're a total phaggot.

Qwertinator
10-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Well I don't drink either and I am also in college, it's definitely hard to avoid alcohol. To be honest your social life will take a hit because it is just common practice. The best thing you can do is find friends that aren't into drinking, which is hard. As far as talking your current friends - at that age there's really nothing you can say that will be helpful to yourself or them. You just gotta accept the bitterness of contradicting social norms.

canlift
10-12-2011, 07:08 PM
You need to master the art of notgivingasinglefuark

Driftslut
10-13-2011, 12:19 AM
If your post is serious, you're a total phaggot.

Makes sense.

Btw, misc is --------------------> That way.

getbig_ttt
10-13-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm a junior in college, and I despise alcohol, how it tastes, what it does to you, etc. I haven't drank in several months.

Until yesterday. My roommates (and IRL friends) apparently heard that I had scored fairly well on the MCAT, so they told me to take shots to celebrate. I was reluctant, but they put so much pressure on me and threatened me with social ostracism to the point that I had to take 2 shots to shut them up. I later got annoyed and threatened to move out if this happened again, along with cutting all ties to them.

Have any of you faced social ostracism for refusing to drink? How did you deal with it? I would love to beat up and stab people, but that's illegal unfortunately.

Come on op, you're making a huge deal out of 1-2 drinks... Just take them and shut up (sort of srs)

But really, i'm in university and I try to avoid drinking. Sure it happens here and there, but I usually manage to avoid it. If you don't want to drink just say no. Threatening to move out and not be their friend anymore sounds like a pretty hardcore pussy thing to do. Learn to say no in a respectable way and keep your friends. How do you think they feel having someone like you around, always refusing to have fun? A ''plug''...

Madbrad70
10-13-2011, 03:06 PM
If you dont want to drink dont ! if your so called friends are having a issues with it leave and avoid putting your self in those sisutation in the future.

JoshB410
10-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Within the atmosphere of 'college'. . .it's near impossible to avoid alcohol completely. Currently, I would say my friends and I drink at least one night a week, usually two. If I had to guess, I would say I drink 9 nights in a month. I have heard a few things about alcohol and it's affect on muscle gains, and actually have a friend who quit drinking for 3 months in order to bulk up, and it worked.

After Halloween, I am setting a goal of 1 night a week for 2 months and see where it takes me.

That will take me from 9x/month to 8x/2 months. If I can stick to a workout schedule for all 8 weeks, I'm hoping to see gains.

GymShowerNap
10-13-2011, 06:49 PM

Makes sense.

Btw, misc is --------------------> That way.

One can only handle so many *** threads.

Slicer44
10-14-2011, 12:48 AM
Not in college but part of a football club which I assume has a similar culture.

If you don't want to drink tell them that. And unless they physically hold you down and pour it into your mouth it's your choice. At that point in time I think its fine to swing a few (if you can't punch your mates who can you punch?).

The whole stigma of not drinking = your not fun is a load of rubbish. Plenty of people function alot better and enjoy themselves more without alcohol. It depends on who you are, your personality and the group itself. But if you don't want to drink then don't.

I've found alcohol has a huge affect on my gains so to get around it, I normally just say I've got an early start or want to get to the gym in the morning which works for me.

In saying that there's nothing wrong with having a couple of well deserved drinks so I would have had the shots......

ukno0003
10-14-2011, 04:02 AM
Im a senior in College and I dont drink. I have had 2 drinks since This past February, 1 with my dad and 1 with my family on mothers day. Stick to your guns man, people are going to try and pressure you. But, at the end of the day, if they look at you any different for not having a drink with them then they probably were not your friends in the first place. Surround yourself with people who respect your decisions and respect your life style.

soniktooth
10-14-2011, 04:54 AM
My friends are fairly heavy drinkers so its hard to avoid alcohol around them. My trick is normally just to say no outright, but will deffo hang out, or if we are going for a bar then get one light drink, normally gin with tonic, then switch to water after slowly drinking the first one.

Celtika
10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Theres a few things i do actually.

1) Just say that i have to drive, and can't really risk being pulled

2) Just drink diet coke (zero calories) all night, and let people assume i'm mixing it with something

The second is more preferable, because people don't assume you are a party pooper, and if they happened to taste it or figure it out, you can just say ''yeah, felt a bit wasted, just having a refreshing drink'' or, more likely, they will be too wasted by that point to notice/care anyway

~Celtika~

JoshB410
10-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Theres a few things i do actually.

1) Just say that i have to drive, and can't really risk being pulled

2) Just drink diet coke (zero calories) all night, and let people assume i'm mixing it with something

The second is more preferable, because people don't assume you are a party pooper, and if they happened to taste it or figure it out, you can just say ''yeah, felt a bit wasted, just having a refreshing drink'' or, more likely, they will be too wasted by that point to notice/care anyway

~Celtika~

Another alternative to #2 that will ALWAYS work, is just to carry a can of beer around. You're going to fit right in with everyone else at the party holding cans, and nobody cares enough to check up on how full it is or what number beer you're on.

midniteOG
10-14-2011, 12:36 PM
just say no, but doesn't sound like you are a very fun person

that... but just because he doesnt drink doesnt mean he may or may not be fun. but at the same time OP, i think your making a bigger deal out of it than it is. go out, have some beer, have fun. you only live once, take risks, say yes, try new things. get out of your comfort zone and LIVE

EnterAndWin
10-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Alcohol causes gyno... not even once.

But really, I've never drank, I was an antisocial kid in high school and I go to community college now where (90% of the) people actually care about furthering their education. Not to mention I grew up in a house with alcoholism and drug use, in a way my mother did raise me right by keeping me away from drugs, while doing them all herself... When I transfer over to a university to finish my 4 year degree I'm not going to live on campus so there will be nothing/no one trying to push me toward drinking/drug use. I guess the "wild" thing just isn't for me.

SuperCell
10-15-2011, 01:05 PM

No offense, but it's looks like you've wasted a lot of money getting "educated" if you have to post a question like this.

hoboishjoeishme
10-15-2011, 01:10 PM
fit it into your macros ftw

this is all you need to worry about

selfpwn
10-15-2011, 10:37 PM
be the trend setter and the the followers

Ardhimas
10-17-2011, 02:27 AM
Another alternative to #2 that will ALWAYS work, is just to carry a can of beer around. You're going to fit right in with everyone else at the party holding cans, and nobody cares enough to check up on how full it is or what number beer you're on.

This actually sounds like a great idea. If someone asks what number you're on, just add one for every or every other person who asks.