PDA

View Full Version : back injury

artie253
09-11-2011, 05:07 PM
I've been suffering from a herniated disk/sciatica for about 4 months now, it is much better than it was a few months ago but still can not or would not even think about doing squats or deadlifts or bent over rows. Anyone else have or had this problem...I really want to start some kind of structured program. My goal is to gain muscle/and of course six pack abs. I recently bought a set of Bodylastics bands because free weights are killing my back situation. Any advice at all??? Maybe a p90x style ?

OZBB
09-11-2011, 07:39 PM
are you getting any kind of treatment for this back problem? Physiotherapy? Reason I ask is that I'm going through a similar situation at the moment.... I lived with it for months but it just didnt get better and was affecting my ability to train properly. I've been having Physio for the last 2 weeks and its already starting to improve, it's amazing that they can zero in on the problem and get it sorted so quickly.... until its healed you really are just going to keep aggrivating the condition by continually doing movements that inflame the tissue around the injury. Massage and Physio are all I can suggest to relieve you problem permanently.

OZBB

jimg1220
09-11-2011, 08:52 PM
I have two large herniated discs and a pinched sciatic (sp?) nerve. Its a real pain in the butt to deal with so I know what your going through. I manage mine with a chiropractor, but unfortunately I just have to accept the fact that I cannot do a lot of things that involve bending forward. I admit sometimes it is discouraging to look over and seeing everyone else do things that you wish you could be doing, but it is what it is. You (and I) just have to find alternate ways of doing those exercises and just stay positive. I have thought about surgery, but I hear so many mixed story's, some people it has been great, others arnt doing that better than I am so im not sure what to do, right now I am happy with going to the Chiro and since I am back at working out I feel in my heart that the more I strengthen my core, my back will also strengthen and be less likely to pop out as easy. Itll never go away, I understand that, but I think strengthen will help it to stay in place if that makes sense.

I've been suffering from a herniated disk/sciatica for about 4 months now, it is much better than it was a few months ago but still can not or would not even think about doing squats or deadlifts or bent over rows. Anyone else have or had this problem...I really want to start some kind of structured program. My goal is to gain muscle/and of course six pack abs. I recently bought a set of Bodylastics bands because free weights are killing my back situation. Any advice at all??? Maybe a p90x style ?

rand18m
09-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Look up the article "Bodybuilding and Back Pain" on BB.com, the author is Luis Berrios. Good article on training with a herniated disc, also post surgery for those who've had that done. I got mine fixed at the first of the year but that injury will always have to be trained around. No big deal there is plenty that can be done without squats or deadlifts. If you don't feel like that article answers your question post back and I'll go through what knowledge I have on the subject, which I have ton's of research due to the surgery I had.