PDA

View Full Version : tried a mock today and went with the opposite of my usual strategy, like it?

T2TL
08-28-2011, 07:53 PM
I play in a 12 team standard non ppr league. Have been doing a ton of mocks and pretty much have my strategy set in stone. Tried something different this time and if I could land these players in my league, it might be better than my usual strategy.

QB - Vick
RB - Blount, D. Williams
WR - Andre Johnson, Wallace, Plax
TE - Winslow
K - Henery
DEF - Atlanta
BN - Ingram, Fred Jackson, Moore, Evans, Bradford, Starks

I usually wait on a QB. This time Vick fell to me and I decided to try something different. I'm not very fond of the second round RBs and think there is a lot of talent of starter worthy backs into the 5th round. My strategy was to get a very strong bench of RBs since I'm waiting. I feel like this is a pretty optimized team and I'm not sure I'll use this strategy in my real draft but I really don't see any huge knocks on it. Ingram and Fred Jackson could both be solid RB2s and they are on my bench. This leaves a lot of trade room, ability to play matchups, and won't be hurt by RB injuries. While the WR3 could be stronger, I think Plax could put up respectable WR3 numbers. Along with Moore and Evans I would be fine there. Waited until the last two rounds like usual to get my K and DEF.

T2TL
08-28-2011, 09:26 PM
just drafted again in a similar position but closer to my normal strategy

QB - Ryan
RB - Mendenhall, Blount
WR - Calvin, Lloyd, Britt
TE - Winslow
K - Henery
DEF - Detroit
BN - Moreno, Tolbert, Moore, Kolb, M. Williams (SEA), Little

Still like this team but it seems a bit safe to me. The WRs would be very solid even if Lloyd doesn't do what he did last year he should be a decent WR2. Britt should be a great WR3, he isn't facing suspension or anything by the commish but still has a court date mid Sept. Love the RBs. Some may say going for Tolbert as a second bench RB without having a flex is too much but I'm always landing the best starting RB duo in my leagues and have never been short on one. Helps since it's a long season.

Overall it seems like the first draft was much better though. Even without a true RB1, the RB depth is there to compensate.

Zabooni
08-29-2011, 03:24 AM
I think both teams are pretty solid, but at the moment I would like team 1. The depth is far far better on the bench. But first my first question is why are the benches so dramatically different? Assuming the starters on both teams other than DEF and K were the first 6 or maybe 7 picks, why was the bench so much weaker on team 2? If you were able to get guys like Ingram and Jackson with the 8th, 9th or worse picks in the first draft, it makes me think you were drafting with poor people.

But anyway I definitely would prefer team 2 if the benches had similar quality. Obviously it has a huge advantage at RB, D.Williams is a risk and not someone I would be comfortable with as a #2RB, and a huge downgrade from Mendy. As for the WRs, I think it's about the same. The two Johnsons are equal in my eyes, and I would take Lloyd and Britt over Wallace and Plax. I don't like Vick at all this season. He's only played 16 games once in 8 years, and has struggled with INTs and accuracy his whole career minus one year. If Philly's line is as bad as it has been in the preseason, expect him to get hit hard and often.

Just my 2 cents though!

its50
08-29-2011, 06:08 AM
what was your draft position?

joedirt87
08-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Yes letting the talent fall to you can produce a very good team, but you have to remember those are mock drafts often with computers autopicking, and different players then who are drafting with. It's important to know your draft mates, because while agree that there is later running back talent, if you play in a league where the RB is extremely valued and you wait, you won't even up with 1 quality running back. Like I play in 1 league where I probably have no chance at guys like Grant, Addai, Hightower, unless I reach on very early because of my draft position.

T2TL
08-29-2011, 05:12 PM
I think both teams are pretty solid, but at the moment I would like team 1. The depth is far far better on the bench. But first my first question is why are the benches so dramatically different? Assuming the starters on both teams other than DEF and K were the first 6 or maybe 7 picks, why was the bench so much weaker on team 2? If you were able to get guys like Ingram and Jackson with the 8th, 9th or worse picks in the first draft, it makes me think you were drafting with poor people.

But anyway I definitely would prefer team 2 if the benches had similar quality. Obviously it has a huge advantage at RB, D.Williams is a risk and not someone I would be comfortable with as a #2RB, and a huge downgrade from Mendy. As for the WRs, I think it's about the same. The two Johnsons are equal in my eyes, and I would take Lloyd and Britt over Wallace and Plax. I don't like Vick at all this season. He's only played 16 games once in 8 years, and has struggled with INTs and accuracy his whole career minus one year. If Philly's line is as bad as it has been in the preseason, expect him to get hit hard and often.

Just my 2 cents though!

In the second draft I was actually helping a few people and telling them who I liked. I didn't think they'd actually take them in the mock but they did so I ended up losing out on a few players lol. I take mocks with a grain of salt, you're always going to get lesser knowledgeable drafters compared to a money league. One thing I have noticed is that in the first mock I wasn't reaching for any players. I'm taking what I'm given as opposed to a bit more strict draft in the second round.

what was your draft position?

I don't remember exactly but I think 7th in both. Went WR in one and RB in the other purposely.

Yes letting the talent fall to you can produce a very good team, but you have to remember those are mock drafts often with computers autopicking, and different players then who are drafting with. It's important to know your draft mates, because while agree that there is later running back talent, if you play in a league where the RB is extremely valued and you wait, you won't even up with 1 quality running back. Like I play in 1 league where I probably have no chance at guys like Grant, Addai, Hightower, unless I reach on very early because of my draft position.

I'm on of the better drafters in the league but there are a lot of RB loving drafters in my league. I can just tell from last year who I will be able to land. I know Moreno and DWill should be there while hyped guys like Ingram and possibly Blount won't be. I've always valued RBs and probably won't go for one late but I've been targeting a ton in the 3-6 rounds to gain depth. I was seeing how my team is if I skipped out on that early back and just kept going for depth. I'll probably do something in between

ThaWorldIsYours
08-29-2011, 05:59 PM
What other TE's are on the board when you keep taking Winslow? Any notable guys?

T2TL
08-29-2011, 06:23 PM
What other TE's are on the board when you keep taking Winslow? Any notable guys?

Nope that was all. I'm pretty good on TE. My plan is to go with Olsen, Graham, or Winslow. Unless someone falls. If somehow they all get taken early I go Pettigrew

Zabooni
08-29-2011, 09:31 PM
In the second draft I was actually helping a few people and telling them who I liked. I didn't think they'd actually take them in the mock but they did so I ended up losing out on a few players lol. I take mocks with a grain of salt, you're always going to get lesser knowledgeable drafters compared to a money league. One thing I have noticed is that in the first mock I wasn't reaching for any players. I'm taking what I'm given as opposed to a bit more strict draft in the second round.

Ahh, well both teams look good. As you probably realize the best strategy is going in with a flexible plan. Hope on targeting some guys, but always stay flexible. I always always go RB heavy in my teams. It's worked for me countless times in the past, but in my recent draft there was an incredibly run on RBs. Instead falling in with the run, I grabbed several high end WRs who were falling. For picks 2-4, I managed to get Hakeem Nicks, Vincent Jackson, and Reggie Wayne. This started a WR run later, during which time I was able to snag guys like Ryan Matthews, Hightower, Ingram, Reggie Bush, through rounds 6-10.

Just try and grab the best talent available, wait on QBs, and you'll do fine no matter what. Best of luck bud!