PDA

View Full Version : newbie HELP...

sash88x
08-02-2011, 07:10 AM
hi everyone i'm new to the site and have been going over a lot of info that i am a little overwhelmed... i didn't wanna just hassle anyone by asking 9408755854 questions so i did a bit of research from previous threads... i am 5 foot 9, female and 195 pounds and want to lose as much possible weight in 8-9 weeks... my goal is 6 to 8 pounds a week...

i made this diet and my workout was going to be 60 minutes of cardio 5 to times a week... my total daily calorie intake is about 985 based on the diet... im not fussed about gaining muscle or whatever i just wanna lose a lot of weight even if its water and then start a clean workout/diet plan once im down to like 150 pounds...

meal 1 6 egg white omelet with 1 cup mushrooms/2 fish oil caps

meal 2 Snack of 6 almonds/ 1 tsp natural peanut butter

meal 3 3oz chicken with 1 cup each of spinach/mushrooms/2 fish oil caps

meal 4 2 scoops whey protein (post workout)

meal 5 3oz chicken with 1 cup each of spinach/mushrooms/2 fish oil caps

do i needa change anything? is my goal realistic or achievable? do I have no chance? lolz

goalorientgirl
08-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Your calories are way, way too low. Read here for what you should be thinking: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703921 Your food choices are much less important than your actual calories.

As for 6-8 pounds a week of fat loss, it's not going to happen. Read here for realistic goals: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130738983 . At your height, you're not quite in the "obese" range, so you could only realistically expect a maximum loss of 6% of your total mass per month (ie. less than 3 pounds per week) - which is great, by the way.

sash88x
08-02-2011, 07:30 AM
thank you for the feedback goalorientgirl :) i know i won't lose 6 to 8 pounds of fat that's like near impossible... i though calories were quite low but with that food i'm actually eating more frequently in a day than normal (i usually dont eat until 3pm and snack at night)

the other thing is that there are a lot of diets where you lose like 10 pounds a week (mostly water) on far less calories and as i said im not too worried about muscle loss... that thread you mention has me confused, i've worked out though on a 500 deficit i should have like 1900 calories and that just seems so much for weight loss...

if i do follow that diet... will i lose much weight or plateau really soon??

goalorientgirl
08-02-2011, 07:52 AM
If you follow a 900 calorie a day diet you will definitely plateau soon. If 1900 calories is too scary for you, you can try 1700 (which is already a huge deficit), but you're tall, you shouldn't be on some teeny 1200 calorie a day diet that doesn't make sense for a woman your size. Those "10 pounds a week" diets are nonsense and really just water loss. Sure, you can see scale weight go down, but you don't improve your appearance. The biggest mistake women mistake while dieting is starving themselves - that's just how you encourage your body to hold onto fat as tightly as possible. A smart, sensible, diet is the real answer to weight loss. It's not magic, and it won't happen rapidly, but it'll be better for you (and you'll look a lot better too).

Artistry
08-02-2011, 10:48 AM
As someone who has actually tried starvation diets, I can safely say that you really don't want to go there. Your low intake will lead to your body eating both muscle and fat, then when you fall off the wagon because you've been depriving yourself (which will happen eventually), every bit of that binge will go back on as fat and you'll be worse off than you were before. The best case scenario is being incredibly weak and still being skinny-fat, and nobody wants that.

Pick a sensible calorie deficit like goalorient suggested and try to work with your body instead of punishing it. It will do a lot more for you that way. =D

momofthree1983
08-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Been there and done it! I've done as low a 500 calories when I plateaued on 900. I'm blessed that i didn't gain all the weight back! I never realized that even 1200 calories was that detrimental. Listen to the women here, I've learned so much from them!

As someone who has actually tried starvation diets, I can safely say that you really don't want to go there. Your low intake will lead to your body eating both muscle and fat, then when you fall off the wagon because you've been depriving yourself (which will happen eventually), every bit of that binge will go back on as fat and you'll be worse off than you were before. The best case scenario is being incredibly weak and still being skinny-fat, and nobody wants that.

Pick a sensible calorie deficit like goalorient suggested and try to work with your body instead of punishing it. It will do a lot more for you that way. =D

oregonchick76
08-02-2011, 06:22 PM
L O L. 6-8 lbs per week? Why? Why not set a healthy, long-term goal that will get you there happy, well-balanced and fit? Insane.

rdferguson
08-02-2011, 07:10 PM
thank you for the feedback goalorientgirl :) i know i won't lose 6 to 8 pounds of fat that's like near impossible... i though calories were quite low but with that food i'm actually eating more frequently in a day than normal (i usually dont eat until 3pm and snack at night)

the other thing is that there are a lot of diets where you lose like 10 pounds a week (mostly water) on far less calories and as i said im not too worried about muscle loss... that thread you mention has me confused, i've worked out though on a 500 deficit i should have like 1900 calories and that just seems so much for weight loss...

if i do follow that diet... will i lose much weight or plateau really soon??

Start worrying about it. Okay, worry isn't the right attitude, but seriously...

2 people lose 64lb (I'm using this number since you said 8lb/week for 8 weeks, which grosses 64lb total). One of them maintains all their muscle mass. The other loses 32lb of muscle mass. Because one of them has maintained all their muscle mass, they've successfully lost up to 64lb of fat. It's probably less than that when you factor in water weight, but it can't be too far off. Let's say they lose a whopping 14lb of water weight, and are now down to 50lb worth of fat loss. That's bloody awesome. The other person, however, has lost at most 32lb of fat, probably less. If we assume that they also lose 14lb of water, then they're down to having lost only 18lb of fat. To have grossed 64lb of weight loss and to have only lost 18lb of fat, that's pretty much as epic a fail as one can achieve. And in all honesty, it's not completely unrealistic (the only thing unrealistic about is that most people will give up after the first 10lb and never make it to 64lb weight loss in the first place). Considering that in this situation, only about 1/4 of the weight lost is actually fat, the person would still look far from how they'd want to look, whereas the person who made the effort to lose FAT instead of MUSCLE would have a much greater shape and would actually look a lot lighter. Still say muscle loss isn't important?

afrodite
08-07-2011, 09:17 AM
having such a low calorie count and almost zero carbs will only last so long.

I know you said you don't want to focus on weights until you're at 150, but a little work on that end probably wouldn't be terrible. If not weights, try doing yoga!! (Size doesn't matter in this arena, and it can definitely help with creating balance and core strength which you'll need once you hit the weight room :)

If you're doing a ton of cardio, make sure you're feeding your self properly - otherwise you'll end up overworking yourself, gaining back weight and hating the gym. Try splitting your cardio up if you get bored, that way you don't resent all the effort! (i.e. 45 minutes in the morning, 20 minutes at night)

Are you taking multivitamins as well? Keep your body working at it's highest level. To torch more fat, try supplementing with an herbal (and safe) fat burner - green tea! NOW makes a really good one (and they sell it in the BB store)

I hope your able to reach your goal (but definitely fine tune it to be more realistic not only in terms of fitness and what is possible, but also your sanity :)

hi everyone i'm new to the site and have been going over a lot of info that i am a little overwhelmed... i didn't wanna just hassle anyone by asking 9408755854 questions so i did a bit of research from previous threads... i am 5 foot 9, female and 195 pounds and want to lose as much possible weight in 8-9 weeks... my goal is 6 to 8 pounds a week...

i made this diet and my workout was going to be 60 minutes of cardio 5 to times a week... my total daily calorie intake is about 985 based on the diet... im not fussed about gaining muscle or whatever i just wanna lose a lot of weight even if its water and then start a clean workout/diet plan once im down to like 150 pounds...

meal 1 6 egg white omelet with 1 cup mushrooms/2 fish oil caps

meal 2 Snack of 6 almonds/ 1 tsp natural peanut butter

meal 3 3oz chicken with 1 cup each of spinach/mushrooms/2 fish oil caps

meal 4 2 scoops whey protein (post workout)

meal 5 3oz chicken with 1 cup each of spinach/mushrooms/2 fish oil caps

do i needa change anything? is my goal realistic or achievable? do I have no chance? lolz

andrerox80
08-07-2011, 03:58 PM
people have got you covered in their responses, so no need for me to repeat, but out of curiosity what is your goal? the weight loss, yes, but is that all? what do you want physique wise? makes a difference, esp in regards to your muscle comment.