PDA

View Full Version : Now she's peeved

Old-Time-Lifter
07-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Okay the wife wanted to go to a jazz concert this afternoon. I said okay but then I have to go to the gym in the morning, which means she has to keep our 16 yo daughter moving and get her out the door to do to school. (she had to take summer school)

She got very ticked and said that wouldn't work because she has to get herself ready for work. (I am the one that keeps after our daughter in the morning) Of course my wife could get up 15-20 minutes early and get our daughter up early as well and they could both get out the door on time.

BUT NO! She automatically gets peeved and gets an attitude with me just because I don't want to blow off a workout completely.

For crying out loud don't non-working out spouses have to compromise at all? Come on, I HATE working out in the mornings so in my eyes I'm giving a lot and plus I will be getting up about an hour early for me and she would only need to be up 15-20 minutes early.

:(

Simpy
07-07-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm so glad my husband love fitness and extra loves that I'm fit.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-07-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm so glad my husband love fitness and extra loves that I'm fit.

You are lucky.

My wife is starting to grumble that I'm getting to big as well. She tells me she has never liked big muscles. I hadn't trained for several years when we met and I was a bit smaller but trim than in the bow tie picture. Now I'm definitely more muscular (though not as trim YET!) and she isn't liking it.

Bladerunner1811
07-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Okay the wife wanted to go to a jazz concert this afternoon. I said okay but then I have to go to the gym in the morning, which means she has to keep our 16 yo daughter moving and get her out the door to do to school. (she had to take summer school)

She got very ticked and said that wouldn't work because she has to get herself ready for work. (I am the one that keeps after our daughter in the morning) Of course my wife could get up 15-20 minutes early and get our daughter up early as well and they could both get out the door on time.

BUT NO! She automatically gets peeved and gets an attitude with me just because I don't want to blow off a workout completely.

For crying out loud don't non-working out spouses have to compromise at all? Come on, I HATE working out in the mornings so in my eyes I'm giving a lot and plus I will be getting up about an hour early for me and she would only need to be up 15-20 minutes early.

Dude you have to find balance,yes workouts are important,but so are you responibilties as a father and husband..sorry to say but Father/husband responibilties trump workouts anytime..comes with being a man ya know,just reschedule your workout man.

Bladerunner1811
07-07-2011, 02:56 PM
You are lucky.

My wife is starting to grumble that I'm getting to big as well. She tells me she has never liked big muscles. I hadn't trained for several years when we met and I was a bit smaller but trim than in the bow tie picture. Now I'm definitely more muscular (though not as trim YET!) and she isn't liking it.

well you'll just have to set her down and talk to her on this maybe you and her can reach a compromise.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Dude you have to find balance,yes workouts are important,but so are you responibilties as a father and husband..sorry to say but Father/husband responibilties trump workouts anytime..comes with being a man ya know,just reschedule your workout man.

Dude/MAN........... /:

I offered to do that.

Compromise is me moving my workout to the next morning (can't move it to friday night that won't work with other commitments we both have) but she doesn't want to work with me at all.

This isn't the first time this kind of thing has sprung up, she wants me not to reschedule she wants me to stop working out PERIOD!

cowboybiker
07-07-2011, 02:59 PM
So no cardio ???

Suggest you do something nice or this will be a horrible night.

Deal With It

Get her some flowers. :)

Old-Time-Lifter
07-07-2011, 03:04 PM
well you'll just have to set her down and talk to her on this maybe you and her can reach a compromise.

How? She doesn't like muscular men and I want to be as muscular as I can get to be.

I'd like her to be skinny again but she isn't and isn't willing to try to be, so I think that's enough of a compromise.

Don't get me wrong I love and adore my wife but she's never been particularly fair or willing to compromise about anything it's just the way she is wired.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-07-2011, 03:08 PM
So no cardio ???

Suggest you do something nice or this will be a horrible night.

Deal With It

Get her some flowers. :)

It's already too late she's playing the "don't worry about it" card on me. My daughter is also going into orbit because she wants me to drive her to see her bf (lives in another town) and then come back for her. That makes for over 120 miles of driving just so she can see her bf who isn't really her bf in her words they just have a thing for each other. I tell you living with two women is pure he!!.

Earlier today I told my daughter I would take her then workout and then go get her. Of course my wife doesn't want me to do this because of all the gas and because now she suddenly (this going to the jazz thing just came up this afternoon) wants to do something.... which now she says she doesn't because she knows it will make me feel guilty and I'll end up blowing off another workout to make her happy.

There's no way to make them both happy so I lose no matter what there's going to be one crabby female in the house.

LisaSkinnoble
07-07-2011, 03:08 PM
I think if I were in your wife's shoes, I would have turned to the 16YO and said "busy morning in store for us. Set your alarm clock, get showered and dressed and packed up and be ready to go when I say. I'll have no spare time for shenanigans." And then I would have added, with a chesire cat grin and a wink, "I have a date with your father."

LisaSkinnoble
07-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I tell you living with two women is pure he!!.

There's no way to make them both happy so I lose no matter what there's going to be one crabby female in the house.

My Dad had 6 women to put up with! lol... My mom, 4 teenagers, and one pre-teen. Somebody was always crabby in our house. The rest of us just ignored whoever happened to be crabby!

cowboybiker
07-07-2011, 03:12 PM
It's already too late she's playing the "don't worry about it" card on me. My daughter is also going into orbit because she wants me to drive her to see her bf (lives in another town) and then come back for her. That makes for over 120 miles of driving just so she can see her bf who isn't really her bf in her words they just have a thing for each other. I tell you living with two women is pure he!!.

Hit the gym and push some serious iron my friend.

The release alone will do you good.

tell daughter summer school does not come with benifits.

Still get the flowers

Bladerunner1811
07-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Dude/MAN........... /:

I offered to do that.

Compromise is me moving my workout to the next morning (can't move it to friday night that won't work with other commitments we both have) but she doesn't want to work with me at all.

This isn't the first time this kind of thing has sprung up, she wants me not to reschedule she wants me to stop working out PERIOD!

Dude,you are just going to have to put the foot down,man up then tell her this is something imporant to you,and as much as the "RADICAL"womens lib types are going to hate this,take control and be the BOSSMAN of the household.

But I do feel for you man I had this same kinda crap go on for a while.

discdoggie
07-07-2011, 03:22 PM
I think if I were in your wife's shoes, I would have turned to the 16YO and said "busy morning in store for us. Set your alarm clock, get showered and dressed and packed up and be ready to go when I say. I'll have no spare time for shenanigans." And then I would have added, with a chesire cat grin and a wink, "I have a date with your father."

That's why Flex loves Lisa. :) ^^^^^^

Well, one of the reasons.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-07-2011, 03:24 PM

Unfortunately my daugher likely would fall back to sleep and miss school entirely.

Doubly unfortunately the wife wouldn't wink like that. :(

Hit the gym and push some serious iron my friend.

The release alone will do you good.

tell daughter summer school does not come with benifits.

Still get the flowers

Now she doesn't want to go and said we'll go another time. But she flatly refuses to get up 15 minutes early in order to get our daughter going even next week. (these are weekly events)

I just don't get this? :(

No summer school doesn't come with benefits, ultimately it's making my life pure heck.

Nikonguy
07-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Ask her WWJD?

What Would Jay (Cutler) Do?

Then duck! :eek:

srsly, sorry you are getting grief OTL. :(

Bladerunner1811
07-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Unfortunately my daugher likely would fall back to sleep and miss school entirely.

Doubly unfortunately the wife wouldn't wink like that. :(

Now she doesn't want to go and said we'll go another time. But she flatly refuses to get up 15 minutes early in order to get our daughter going even next week. (these are weekly events)

No summer school doesn't come with benefits, ultimately it's making my life pure heck.

Dude you seriously need to take control of your family.Sounds like with your daughter you need to stop sparring the belt,and tan her hide,as my pops used to say.

Brackneyc
07-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Show her a "before" picture of me, and ask her if this is what she wants for you, or her. She will drive you to the weight store, and you get a shopping spree, and all the time you could ever want, to work out.

This morning I was your exact height and weight.

Corbi
07-07-2011, 03:28 PM
My wife is starting to grumble that I'm getting to big as well. She tells me she has never liked big muscles.

Some women are just fickle like that, my wife likes my arms but complains that i'm getting "lumpy" because my traps are developing. I agree with her that the pro BBer look like Jay Cutler is not good, but a decent build and having some mass as well as definition is great.

WonderPug
07-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I hate to say it, but I fear this will not end well...and by "this", I don't mean this particular episode.

From your description, there's substantial resentment building up and likely progressive push-back.

Perhaps you guys should try talking with a marriage counselor...before things escalate beyond repair.

Nikonguy
07-07-2011, 03:32 PM
What ever you do DON'T Say "well if I don't lift weights who is going to carry your ass around when you are 70!"

beentheredonethat.gif :(

Old-Time-Lifter
07-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Some women are just fickle like that, my wife likes my arms but complains that i'm getting "lumpy" because my traps are developing. I agree with her that the pro BBer look like Jay Cutler is not good, but a decent build and having some mass as well as definition is great.

She doesn't like my pecs, traps or lats. :(

Truth is I really don't train my traps and they are just what they are and they are what she hates the most. :(

LisaSkinnoble
07-07-2011, 03:34 PM

Wow, I don't get it either. What's 15 minutes?

And summer school should not disrupt your life - only your daughter's. When I was in highschool, our highschools went to Grade 13, but I wanted to complete my 5 years in 4. So every summer I took advanced credits at summer school. 6 weeks and 4 hours a day. I set my own alarm clock, got up in time to go for a morning swim, shower, get ready, and I took the public transit bus to school. But then, it was my choice to do so.

I was never late. But I was surely tempted the day of Prince Charles and Diana's wedding. Oh how I wanted to skip that day or go in late. But my mom reminded me that I had committed - not committed to school, but committed to myself.

GuyJin
07-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Maybe you should go to the concert in just your bow-tie. You know, reliving the good old days...?

Just sayin'...

Actually, I got nothing.

luxx
07-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Feelsbadbrah

discdoggie
07-07-2011, 03:40 PM

I don't get this, either. :confused:

When I last loved someone, I loved everything about him. Even his fat rolls. :D Srs. Because they were his and a part of him.

Bladerunner1811
07-07-2011, 03:40 PM

Truth is I really don't train my traps and they are just what they are and they are what she hates the most. :(

Look tell her it's your body,and you don't want it sagging all over the place,and tell her she married the person on the inside not just the body.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-07-2011, 03:41 PM
I hate to say it, but I fear this will not end well...and by "this", I don't mean this particular episode.

From your description, there's substantial resentment building up and likely progressive push-back.

Perhaps you guys should try talking with a marriage counselor...before things escalate beyond repair.

Well I'd like to think not. We've had worse in our marriage and made it through. I think ultimately it's the old saw that she is frustrated that I'm closing in on being in as good a shape as I was in my 20's and she's obviously not the cardio bunny she was when we met.

What ever you do DON'T Say "well if I don't lift weights who is going to carry your ass around when you are 70!"

beentheredonethat.gif :(

I maybe stupid but I ain't that stupid. ;) LOL

Bladerunner1811
07-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Well I'd like to think not. We've had worse in our marriage and made it through. I think ultimately it's the old saw that she is frustrated that I'm closing in on being in as good a shape as I was in my 20's and she's obviously not the cardio bunny she was when we met.

I maybe stupid but I ain't that stupid. ;) LOL

Dude encourage her to get back into it.

stillfit
07-07-2011, 03:45 PM
You want her to get in shape but she won't change for you so why should you be something you don't want to be for her. A man has to do what a man has to do. Be true to yourself or resentment will swallow you up.

jasnija
07-07-2011, 03:46 PM

Yeah seriously, at 16 she should be (I emphasise SHOULD) responsible for getting herself up and ready. I say with no experience with teenagers yet. I have twin 5 year old daughters and another girl on the way so I'm sure this will happen to me.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-07-2011, 03:47 PM

And summer school should not disrupt your life - only your daughter's. When I was in highschool, our highschools went to Grade 13, but I wanted to complete my 5 years in 4. So every summer I took advanced credits at summer school. 6 weeks and 4 hours a day. I set my own alarm clock, got up in time to go for a morning swim, shower, get ready, and I took the public transit bus to school. But then, it was my choice to do so.

I was never late. But I was surely tempted the day of Prince Charles and Diana's wedding. Oh how I wanted to skip that day or go in late. But my mom reminded me that I had committed - not committed to school, but committed to myself.

I don't get the 15minutes to my wife at all?

She says though that it's our daughters problem but that just means it's thrown back to being my responsibility.

Our daughter has never ever had a sense for time. She has always been of the type that she can get lost in thought and the next thing you know she's late. Her mind is extremely creative and she's very smart but she's just a free spirit when it comes to time lines and schedules. I'm not sure what she needs to go into for a living but it needs to be something kind of loosy goosy as far as time goes.

Our daughter has her own car so she drives herself it's just getting her butt out the door.

racejunkie
07-07-2011, 03:49 PM

This^^^^
A 16 yr old should be responsible enough to get herself out of bed and ready in time in the morning. Seriously. She is becoming a young adult now after all. I've had my own alarm clock and have been doing it since kindergarten. It's not rocket science.

Keltron
07-07-2011, 03:49 PM

ARE YOU SERIOUS? Did you read any of the original post? Criticizing a man's worth as a husband and father are serious allegations, I'd make sure everything was read and understood on my end before making them.

Rdez
07-07-2011, 03:50 PM

They just don't get it. If I had a dollar for every time I heard "Well, can't you just skip your workout today?"...

Brackneyc
07-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Dude,you are just going to have to put the foot down,man up then tell her this is something imporant to you,and as much as the "RADICAL"womens lib types are going to hate this,take control and be the BOSSMAN of the household.

BR, are you married, and/or do you have kids. Curious. My guess is no based on the last few of your posts here.

discdoggie
07-07-2011, 03:54 PM
OTL, most gyms I know open at 4:30- 5 am. If you were so inclined, you could be there when it opens, train, and be back by the time everyone was just getting up. I can't imagine summer school starting much earlier than 7?

Old-Time-Lifter
07-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Dude encourage her to get back into it.

I've tried many times. She has asthma and it's a cope out tool imho.

You want her to get in shape but she won't change for you so why should you be something you don't want to be for her. A man has to do what a man has to do. Be true to yourself or resentment will swallow you up.

Not about to stop lifting until they nail the lid down on me.

This^^^^
A 16 yr old should be responsible enough to get herself out of bed and ready in time in the morning. Seriously. She is becoming a young adult now after all. I've had my own alarm clock and have been doing it since kindergarten. It's not rocket science.

My daughter really is unique. It's part of what makes everyone fall in love with her, and they all do. She can walk into any room and leave with everyone acting like she's their best friend in the world. She's one of a kind honestly.

If I had a dollar for every boy that has texted/facebooked/called to profess their love to her I'd be able to retire. Seriously. It's one of the reasons I want to be as big as I can be!

They just don't get it. If I had a dollar for every time I heard "Well, can't you just skip your workout today?"...

I talked to my wife a little bit ago and tried to explain that disrupting one workout didn't just mess up that workout but meant I'd have to adjust other workouts and recovery times. I told her no big deal moving the workout to the next morning but I wasn't at a good point to blow off another workout. I could hear her eyes glazing over on the phone. :(

hochspeyer
07-07-2011, 04:02 PM
You need to get her to watch the "I Want To Be A Bodybuilder" videos somewhere in this forum. I will bump that thread if I can find it. Don't thank me now.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-07-2011, 04:03 PM
OTL, most gyms I know open at 4:30- 5 am. If you were so inclined, you could be there when it opens, train, and be back by the time everyone was just getting up. I can't imagine summer school starting much earlier than 7?

Trouble is I'd have to be back home by 6am. Believe it or not it takes my daughter from 6-7:30 to get ready for school. It takes me 20 minutes to be ready to go to work. Helps to have no hair I suppose. ;) School starts at 7:45am.

Wife leaves at 7:15 for work. I generally just wake up and read and stay out of the bathrooms (we only have two) so I don't slow them down, and then jump in the shower once the daughter is gone.

Not enough time to get to the gym/workout/clean up/drive to work and make it on time to make sure my employee is actually doing her job and not calling her kids on my dime.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-07-2011, 04:04 PM
You need to get her to watch the "I Want To Be A Bodybuilder" videos somewhere in this forum. I will bump that thread if I can find it. Don't thank me now.

I showed them to her she didn't see the humor. :(

Corbi
07-07-2011, 04:11 PM
OTL, most gyms I know open at 4:30- 5 am. If you were so inclined, you could be there when it opens, train, and be back by the time everyone was just getting up.

Don't know how some folks can do morning workouts, have tried it a few times and definitely not for me.

I've tried many times. She has asthma and it's a cope out tool imho.

My wife has asthma as well and uses it for all kinds of excuses to get out of doing stuff. I have bought her literally thousands of dollars of workout equipment over the years, why I continue do so is beyond me, and it never gets used. The only thing she ever used and stuck with was Billy Blanks workout videos. She lost close to 80 lbs between doing that and dieting. But then she slowly but surely crept back up. I don't even discuss it anymore as it's just a complete and utter waste of time. She wants the "magic pill" that burns fat off while you watch tv. hell I want a magic pill that does cardio for me because I hate doing cardio.

LisaSkinnoble
07-07-2011, 04:12 PM
I generally just wake up and read and stay out of the bathrooms (we only have two) so I don't slow them down, and then jump in the shower once the daughter is gone..

I love that!

Could it be that she doesn't want to start her day by nagging and maybe arguing with her daughter to get moving and keep moving? Maybe she's thinking that it's not the 15 minutes, it's that she doesn't want to be the heavy/the disciplinarian? Perhaps she thinks your daughter responds better to you?

crupiea
07-07-2011, 04:13 PM
What would happen if she asked you to get up 15 minutes early?

Chances are you would just say ok and do it.

Sounds to me like someone doesnt like to give up control.

This would account for her "not liking" your muscles and for her throwing up road blocks to you working out.

She doesnt care about the muscles, she cares that you are doing something without her. Add in that you are changing and she cant help but feel like she is losing control. not that she is a control freak or anything, its just taking her out of her comfort zone.

What if the roles were reversed and she would get up early and go do something on her own every day. say she went to the library or whatever. She is bettering herself but you dont know what she is doing there. it would be uncomfortable.

Its easy to ask yourself why does she need to read so much? is she not happy with the books we have at home? cant she just read books here?

its an easy trap to fall into.

Meatpants
07-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Read original post. Started to reply. Realized this wasn't a BH thread.:D

Lulz were had.

Didn't read the whole Book of Roy here, but sometimes the women just wants confirmation that she is the most important thing in your world. Unless your going to compete, it would have been easier, and more beneficial, to just made the workout up.

Luckily, my wife enjoys working out, and this doesn't come up often. But when it does, I adapt, improvise, and overcome.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-07-2011, 04:23 PM
I love that!

Could it be that she doesn't want to start her day by nagging and maybe arguing with her daughter to get moving and keep moving? Maybe she's thinking that it's not the 15 minutes, it's that she doesn't want to be the heavy/the disciplinarian? Perhaps she thinks your daughter responds better to you?

Actually my daughter does respond to me better. My wife just goes ballistic on her and yes that's a good point it's likely not how she wants to start her day. Good point there Lisa. :eek:

This would account for her "not liking" your muscles and for her throwing up road blocks to you working out.

She doesnt care about the muscles, she cares that you are doing something without her. Add in that you are changing and she cant help but feel like she is losing control. not that she is a control freak or anything, its just taking her out of her comfort zone.

What if the roles were reversed and she would get up early and go do something on her own every day. say she went to the library or whatever. She is bettering herself but you dont know what she is doing there. it would be uncomfortable.

Its easy to ask yourself why does she need to read so much? is she not happy with the books we have at home? cant she just read books here?

Good points.... :(

Read original post. Started to reply. Realized this wasn't a BH thread.:D

Lulz were had.

Didn't read the whole Book of Roy here, but sometimes the women just wants confirmation that she is the most important thing in your world. Unless your going to compete, it would have been easier, and more beneficial, to just made the workout up.

Luckily, my wife enjoys working out, and this doesn't come up often. But when it does, I adapt, improvise, and overcome.

LOL at the thinking it was a BH thread. ;)

I'd like to compete someday actually but I'm thinking it's going to take another 3 or 4 years before I'm close to ready. I've already blown off a couple workouts in the last couple weeks due to 'compromising' I'm not going to miss this one.

Brackneyc
07-07-2011, 04:23 PM

Did I see you at Heartbreak Ridge....:D

Meatpants
07-07-2011, 04:33 PM
I'd like to compete someday actually but I'm thinking it's going to take another 3 or 4 years before I'm close to ready. I've already blown off a couple workouts in the last couple weeks due to 'compromising' I'm not going to miss this one.

Well it sounds like you better quit slacking off, so you can spend some time with your wife. :D

Did I see you at Heartbreak Ridge....:D

Just because we’re holding hands doesn’t mean we are going to take warm showers together later.

racejunkie
07-07-2011, 04:38 PM
My wife has asthma as well and ....

I have asthma too and so do millions of others. Everyone has their limits with what they can and can't do with asthma (I would love to run a marathon, but I know I can't get past 2 miles with my 60% lung function). I found weight lifting to be the best thing for me because it's great for fat loss, but not so hard on the lungs like aerobic exercise is. Besides, eating a BB "natural" or "clean" diet is the best thing if you have food allergies.

Actually my daughter does respond to me better. My wife just goes ballistic on her and yes that's a good point it's likely not how she wants to start her day. Good point there Lisa. :eek:

Makes sense. Teenage daughters typically don't get along too well with moms. :)

Could it be PMS or perimenopause? :) Srs. Hormones can make us do and say the darndest things sometimes! :)

Nikonguy
07-07-2011, 04:44 PM

ARE YOU SERIOUS? Did you read any of the original post? Criticizing a man's worth as a husband and father are serious allegations, I'd make sure everything was read and understood on my end before making them.

BR, are you married, and/or do you have kids. Curious. My guess is no based on the last few of your posts here.

And this is why I think he's a troll.

cozener
07-07-2011, 05:08 PM
What I'm getting from this thread is that my wife has another husband in Nebraska.

Small world, huh!? :D

whatevergirl
07-07-2011, 05:11 PM
There's two sides to every story...but, going with what you say here, OTL...and other posts I've seen you write on this...it would seem that 'the gym' is just a symptom of something else. Not like you're asking to climb Mt Everest. lol

I also echo Lisa as it relates to your 16 yr old. I mean...your 16 year old daughter should have absolutely no bearing on whether or not you make it to the gym in the morning.

I think it's time to really get to the heart of the matter with your wife. Because while compromise is good, you can't always be the one making concessions. I personally don't even see this as an issue...you're going to the gym at a time that will make it possible to go to the concert with her. It shouldn't be an issue in my eyes.

The fact that it continues to be a sore subject...I'd want to see what the issue is.

Is your wife not into working out and therefore is 'worried' you will become a hottie and not want to be with her? I mean...that's the only thing I can come up with.

Not that you're not a hottie, already. hahaha!

Whew, that was close. :D

Anyways...just my two cents !! I know you are a man of God, so pray too about this. I think therein will lie how you should approach your wife. :)

whatevergirl
07-07-2011, 05:37 PM

I think this post makes a lot of sense, as what it might be.

OTL...Hope you know...I wasn't saying she has anything to worry over when you go to the gym. But, just grasping at straws...as it just seems to be a really sore subject w/her. :(

Whatever you do...I'm sure the Lord will lead you to the right decision. He always does.

djflex
07-07-2011, 05:37 PM
How? She doesn't like muscular men and I want to be as muscular as I can get to be.

I'd like her to be skinny again but she isn't and isn't willing to try to be, so I think that's enough of a compromise.

Don't get me wrong I love and adore my wife but she's never been particularly fair or willing to compromise about anything it's just the way she is wired.

You should know this already but...

Disregard female, aquire mass

geer_matt
07-07-2011, 05:43 PM
A 16 year old she be getting themselves up and ready for school. I can see giving them a ride or what not, but they should be setting their own alarm and getting up by themselves.

Bladerunner1811
07-07-2011, 06:10 PM

yes I am,and yes I do.

I had trouble with my wife shortly after we where married.

First time she tried crap with me,that I looked at her and said "You think you are going to live on my dime,and me have to come into a dirty house and do everything myself?..

She said yeh,thats when I said :"either do the house work and lay off the soaps or pack your stuff and get out of the house now"

needless to say I have not had those kind of problems since then,I know on the days I have to work I'm going to come home to a clean house on my days of we split things.

As to my son he knows to obey me not merely because I am his father but because if he gets out of hand he will be punished and i'm not talking this namby pamby, do what i say or i'll turn your cell phone crap off either.

djflex
07-07-2011, 06:16 PM
^^^^^ REALLY? that is no way to talk to your wife imo. I am guessing this is bs

Corbi
07-07-2011, 06:42 PM
There's two sides to every story...

Actually there are 3 sides to every story, his, hers and the truth.:D

righter
07-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Ugh, I can get real crabby when I have to miss a workout. It has happened a few times, but usually my hubs is very cool about it, even though he doesn't workout. There have been times when he's stayed home an hour or two in the mornings, just so I could hit the gym real quick. then he'll go into the office. Course, his schedule allows for a bit more flexibility than some.

And even though he doesn't workout, he totally digs my muscles! He liked my body when I was chubby too, though ...

Not sure what to tell ya, OTL. Seems there should be some compromise. Definitely. It's important to you. When something is important to my spouse, I try to be mindful of that, and he returns the favor when something is important to me.

LisaSkinnoble
07-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Actually there are 3 sides to every story, his, hers and the truth.:D

So says Don Henley.

Simpy
07-07-2011, 07:27 PM

Do you ever do anything wrong? Seriously. Besides pissing off mods, that is. :p

When I last loved someone, I loved everything about him. Even his fat rolls. :D Srs. Because they were his and a part of him.
I must respectfully disagree. I love Big Sexy to the point of adoration. I think everyone on here knows that. But I can't say I love his fat rolls. I don't obsess over them, or anything, but I wouldn't mind having underwear model Sexy back, either.

Trouble is I'd have to be back home by 6am. Believe it or not it takes my daughter from 6-7:30 to get ready for school. It takes me 20 minutes to be ready to go to work. Helps to have no hair I suppose. ;) School starts at 7:45am.

Wife leaves at 7:15 for work. I generally just wake up and read and stay out of the bathrooms (we only have two) so I don't slow them down, and then jump in the shower once the daughter is gone.

Not enough time to get to the gym/workout/clean up/drive to work and make it on time to make sure my employee is actually doing her job and not calling her kids on my dime.Your daughter needs her ass kicked. She's too old for all that nonsense. Your wife needs a reality check. It's healthy for a person to have a hobby she needs to get one, as well.

As for the asthma comment (I thought I quoted it), I have asthma and it ****ing pisses me off! :mad: I hate that I'm not perfect.

Brackneyc
07-07-2011, 07:30 PM

I think I am going to have to agree here. Sounds very suspicious to me.

whatevergirl
07-07-2011, 07:31 PM
The question we all have though......

is.........

how was the concert? :p

Karl_Hungus
07-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Funny, I had the EXACT same issue with my ex-gf. She would get pissed if she would call and I wasn't there to answer because I was at the gym. She'd then say that I thought the gym was more important than her....which used to bug the hell out of me because I only spend four hours per week at the gym.

Her physical ideal for a guy was to be tall and skinny (I'm far from skinny, and I'm not that tall). She didn't like my pecs or my traps. I didn't really fault her for that though....because you can't really help what you are attracted to.

djflex
07-07-2011, 07:42 PM
The question we all have though......

is.........

how was the concert? :p
Lol...

cozener
07-07-2011, 07:57 PM
And even though he doesn't workout, he totally digs my muscles! He liked my body when I was chubby too, though ...yep, that's kinda how it works when you really do love someone. :)

latebloomingmom
07-07-2011, 09:09 PM
your marriage relationship is in a state of imbalance? is that the right word? yes? It's like when a hubby loves golf, or skiing or highjumping and the wife doesnt so anytime he wants to go or does go she makes his life miserable. resentment, hostility, snide comments, ridicule. what ever happened to supporting each other, building each other up? uh huh. It is ok to have seperate hobbies, interests. That is allowed in a marriage. Now, having said that, if your wife joined water ballet on tues nites that would be ok, Yes? IF she was in a book club on thurs? uh-huh...if you are ok with her hobbies and she is ok with some of yours or all of yours except for this one...then it is all about jealousy and her own insecurities on how you are looking and how she is not looking. She is not about to support something for you or make it easy for you when this is something she is not willing to do for herself. yep, been in that spot, still am in that spot. Husband is an on again/off again kind of guy. He will stick with the diet and working out for awhile and then takes some time off of it or gets sick of it and quits. When we are both doing it together, he is in full support of me and we do the workouts around each other and we do the grocering together, the cooking together and its all good. When he quits and only wants to feel sorry for himself and drink too much whatever...well then my life becomes a lot harder. I understand. stick to your guns, if you have to make a stink about keeping your workout then do it, she will have to get used to it or not but the bottom line is that you are unwilling to backslide and become unhealthy just so they feel content.

Bladerunner1811
07-07-2011, 09:27 PM

It is when it's someone thats had everything handed to them on a plate and was spoiled growing by their parents,and never really had to do a thing around the house...that stuff don't fly with with me.

well thats your opinion on how to talk to the wife,but it was either nip it in the bud then and there or put up with it from then on,and like I said she wa not gonna live on my dime and me come home to a dirty house and me spend all my time doing the house work that she should have done while I was out sweating busting my hump making money for her to beable to live on.

i'm the kind of guy when it needs to be said will say it like it really is,no matter who gets mad.

Brackneyc
07-07-2011, 09:31 PM
It is when it's someone thats had everything handed to them on a plate and was spoiled growing by their parents,and never really had to do a thing around the house...that stuff don't fly with with me.

well thats your opinion on how to talk to the wife,but it was either nip it in the bud then and there or put up with it from then on,and like I said she wa not gonna live on my dime and me come home to a dirty house and me spend all my time doing the house work that she should have done while I was out sweating busting my hump making money for her to beable to live on.

i'm the kind of guy when it needs to be said will say it like it really is,no matter who gets mad.

If that works for you guys, who are we to judge.

Bladerunner1811
07-07-2011, 09:34 PM

look it all depends on how you where raised really.

I was raised to work,and have a clean house,no piles of dirty clothes or dishes,trashcans over flowing are any of that kinda stuff.Do you expect me to live in a pig stye?
would you?

Brackneyc
07-07-2011, 09:41 PM
look it all depends on how you where raised really.

I was raised to work,and have a clean house,no piles of dirty clothes or dishes,trashcans over flowing are any of that kinda stuff.Do you expect me to live in a pig stye?
would you?

I don't think your expectations of her contributing to the household are unreasonable. But if you talked to her in a way consistent with the way you worded it in your post, that seems a bit odd to me.

However, how I was raised has nothing to do with how I conduct myself as an adult, because I am an adult.

cowboybiker
07-07-2011, 09:53 PM
In b4 Bladerunner makes his wife get online and tell us how happy she is. :D

Bladerunner1811
07-07-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't think your expectations of her contributing to the household are unreasonable. But if you talked to her in a way consistent with the way you worded it in your post, that seems a bit odd to me.

However, how I was raised has nothing to do with how I conduct myself as an adult, because I am an adult.

Well she was adament she didn't have to raise a hand to do a thing and after about two hours of trying to calmly talk to her,and her refusing I decided it was drastic measures time,if she'd have compormised with me i'd not have had resort to that way of talking to her.

Believe me I didn't want to talk to her like that but I had too,to wake her up to the fact she had responsibilities as well.sometimes people just need tough love to get them to see the facts as they are.

Bladerunner1811
07-07-2011, 09:54 PM
In b4 Bladerunner makes his wife get online and tell us how happy she is. :D

I'm not a tyrant,she doesn't have to do all of the stuff around our fortess ,I do help out.

hochspeyer
07-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Serious thread has gotten pretty deep and serious.

I'll add my two cents (or so... maybe two bits worth [wink,wink])...

I won't say that I agree or disagree with anything or anyone that's posted here (mainly 'cause I don't want to go back through and multiquote). :) Relationships between any two entities involve a bunch of give and take, sometimes very unequal and sometimes beneficial to both parties. Snookums and I get along very well, but we have our moments like everyone else. This year we'll mark our 24th anniversary, and I think I'd say that the difference between this year and year 1 is not how easy life has gotten (it has definitely not!), but how we respond to life. I think the short definition of the difference is that we face life together, we choose our battles when we can, and define what lies ahead as our future. There are things about her that at times drive me batty, but I doubt you'll ever see me write anything other than praise for her. I choose to give honor and respect to my wife in this small way because I love her, and would never do anything to intentionally hurt or belittle her.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now. :)

cowboybiker
07-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Me and my wife get along rather well.
And yes she has faults.
but its those same faults that keep her from finding someone better than me ;)

nvrstopworking
07-07-2011, 11:09 PM
A 16 year old she be getting themselves up and ready for school. I can see giving them a ride or what not, but they should be setting their own alarm and getting up by themselves.

This. ^^^

If she wants to take summer school then she can bear the responsibility of getting her arse out of bed for it. If she doesn't want to get up then let her be late and face those consequences. Jeez..... at 16 yrs old you should be walking or taking the bus... no need for a ride from mom & dad every day.

IronCharles
07-07-2011, 11:15 PM

I have to say, I can see both sides of this issue. I've seen relationships where both the husband and wife were very, very polite to each other, and the partnership just fell apart because both were afraid to speak their minds, and both eventually ended up unhappy and not getting what they needed from each other.

My wife and I have some of the same conflicts as Roy and his wife, and a few others of you. I get the "you spend all your time at the gym" (what, 6 hours a week, including travel time?). I also get the "You don't spend time with the family in the evenings" (so I'm supposed to sit on the couch in the living room while the TV is on and everybody's focused on their computer?). I also get the "You're self focused, on 'body beautiful'" (so you'd like me better still smoking and unable to climb stairs, maybe laying in a hospital bed, or taking daily insulin shots, or whatever?). And I also get this "You need to focus on your work muscles, not your show muscles." (this one I get when I get tired from mixing concrete with a shovel, or carrying multiple sheets of 3/4" plywood up flights of stairs. Seriously! My wife thinks there are two different sets of muscles in the body....)

The only way we can work around these issues, is if we are both totally frank with each other. I speak my honest mind to her, and she doesn't pull any punches with me. Sometimes the words aren't pretty, but it's far preferable to disclose your true feelings and make clear what you expect from both yourself and your mate, than to try to play the diplomacy game; afraid to speak up for fear of "hurting", "disappointing", or just plain getting punished for your views.

How the hell is he / she going to know how you feel, if you don't spell it out clearly? Sure, there may be consequences for your honesty, but it's better than suffering in silence or being confused about what your partner really feels. As long as all cards are laid out on the table, both can see the hands being played. There's no room for coy dishonesty or even truth-bending to avoid confrontation or to temporarily silence or satisfy an objecting mate. Make all the options, and potential consequences for each specific course of action clear, and state what will happen if a particular course is followed. That way, you can decide what to do with the repercussions for any course of action already known in advance.

Resent the fact that you're working hard in the gym to look good and stay healthy, while your S.O. is on the couch drinking beer and eating Cheetos and cookies every day? Speak up! How much of it can you take? Spell it out! Mad because your partner is away from you at the gym? Tell them how you feel, and what you're going to do about it when you can't take it any more. If the rules are clear, there's no confusion or fear, and you can make educated decisions, without being surprised by the consequences.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-07-2011, 11:30 PM
This. ^^^

If she wants to take summer school then she can bear the responsibility of getting her arse out of bed for it. If she doesn't want to get up then let her be late and face those consequences. Jeez..... at 16 yrs old you should be walking or taking the bus... no need for a ride from mom & dad every day.

She has her own car. She didn't want to take summer school. I told her she had to take it because she had a bad grade in two classes. Now in summer school she has an A in both whereas she had D's in both before.

Here if your kid is late over x amount of times they send somebody to your house to drill the parents. They don't do squat to the kids but will put the parents through a wringer and even involve social services.

She is not a bad kid nor willfully irresponsible. There is just something about the way she is wired that makes dealing with time next to impossible for her. She has been that way all her life. You can ask her how long ago did something happen and she might say 10 minutes and it's been 2 hours. I yell out how much time she has left in the morning, it's just a way of keeping her on track otherwise time just slips past her. Now tonight I did tell her that in the morning I want her to try and get ready without me pushing her, we'll see how that goes but I'm afraid she'll just end up spending an hour and a half working on straightening her hair and forget to look at the clock. :(

We didn't go to the concert but I did take my daughter to see her not bf bf.... :confused: Then I came back hit the gym and went back and got my daughter. My wife agreed to go to the concert next week and I will just combine my wed & thur workouts into a marathon night on wed.

Part of the problem is my wife doesn't really like to plan ahead for stuff. She just likes to all of a sudden go hey let's go to this 'right now'. Well that makes planning a workout schedule kind of hard and I think she feels it takes all the fun out of going places. She doesn't even like to plan out vacations, we just get in the car and head down the road and see what we see along the way. It's a matter of deciding on east, west, north or south and then driving. It can be kind of fun but that's caused us some fights through the years too.... I kinda like to have a general idea where I'm headed.

racejunkie
07-08-2011, 02:47 AM
She has her own car. She didn't want to take summer school. I told her she had to take it because she had a bad grade in two classes. Now in summer school she has an A in both whereas she had D's in both before.

Here if your kid is late over x amount of times they send somebody to your house to drill the parents. They don't do squat to the kids but will put the parents through a wringer and even involve social services.

She is not a bad kid nor willfully irresponsible. There is just something about the way she is wired that makes dealing with time next to impossible for her. She has been that way all her life. You can ask her how long ago did something happen and she might say 10 minutes and it's been 2 hours. I yell out how much time she has left in the morning, it's just a way of keeping her on track otherwise time just slips past her. Now tonight I did tell her that in the morning I want her to try and get ready without me pushing her, we'll see how that goes but I'm afraid she'll just end up spending an hour and a half working on straightening her hair and forget to look at the clock. :(

We didn't go to the concert but I did take my daughter to see her not bf bf.... :confused: Then I came back hit the gym and went back and got my daughter. My wife agreed to go to the concert next week and I will just combine my wed & thur workouts into a marathon night on wed.

Part of the problem is my wife doesn't really like to plan ahead for stuff. She just likes to all of a sudden go hey let's go to this 'right now'. Well that makes planning a workout schedule kind of hard and I think she feels it takes all the fun out of going places. She doesn't even like to plan out vacations, we just get in the car and head down the road and see what we see along the way. It's a matter of deciding on east, west, north or south and then driving. It can be kind of fun but that's caused us some fights through the years too.... I kinda like to have a general idea where I'm headed.

:) I can relate to your wife in some ways I think. I hate to plan anything, that's why we got married 17 years ago by a JP on a Tuesday night in his living room! And nobody knew about it til they asked what was up with the ring on my hand at work the next day! Our parents didn't even know!

I have to agree that planning stuff just sucks all the fun out of it. I can't bear to take those "tourist trap" type of vacations where you pay x number of dollars and every bit of it is planned to the nth degree. Silly as it sounds, I know exactly what it's like to just get in the car and drive up or down the coast, etc. From her point of view (I'm giving my educated guess), I am sure the house, job, and kids are all the commitment she can stand sometimes and her outlet is doing things like going to a concert with little notice. I bet she would be really, really ecstatic if you agreed to do stuff like that once in awhile, and, better yet, if you asked her to do something last minute once in awhile. Plan something fun unexpectedly. I'm sure it will pay off big. :)

joestrom2002
07-08-2011, 05:24 AM
Roy ,you're a good man. Sounds to me like you've always put family's needs before yours.
I've noticed that when one person in a family puts out all effort another starts to slack off.
My job requires physical labor all day , so when I come home and lift weights my wife thinks I'm crazy. If she doesn't stop annoying me we're moving to Florida and getting a pool.

Mr. Furious
07-08-2011, 07:36 AM

I have a 16 year old boy who can be the same way. He takes forever in the shower in the morning and forgets to set his alarm. One morning my wife and I just let it go. He overslept and spent too much time in the shower and we left without him. :D

After having to sprint to the bus with a bag full of books, it doesn't happen as much any more.

All that being said, both my wife and I have our faults but she works out as hard as I do and dislikes jazz just about as much, if not more than me.

discdoggie
07-08-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm afraid she'll just end up spending an hour and a half working on straightening her hair .

Tell her that letting her hair go natural (wavy? curly?) is much more appealing. :)

Using those dryers and straightening irons for all but rare special occasions is extremely damaging to hair. Daily use of them practically guarantees splitting and breakage.

Over-processed-looking hair = aging.

-=FLEX=-
07-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Sounds exactly like my ex.

I don't miss her one bit. :)

Old-Time-Lifter
07-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Tell her that letting her hair go natural (wavy? curly?) is much more appealing. :)

Using those dryers and straightening irons for all but rare special occasions is extremely damaging to hair. Daily use of them practically guarantees splitting and breakage.

Over-processed-looking hair = aging.

Me telling and convincing a 16yo girl of anything isn't likely to happen. LOL

I'd have a better chance if she wasn't mine.... LOL

Sounds exactly like my ex.

I don't miss her one bit. :)

My ex could be the same way too but I couldn't and wouldn't want to live without my current bride. She is my sweetheart and beloved.

Tonight and tomorrow are off nights so I'll be taking her to the movies tonight and maybe out to eat tomorrow. I can likely stand a cheat meal about now anyways. ;) :D

Brackneyc
07-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Tonight and tomorrow are off nights so I'll be taking her to the movies tonight and maybe out to eat tomorrow. I can likely stand a cheat meal about now anyways. ;) :D

Roy, this ^^ sounds like the beginning of the beginning. Enjoy the weekend. :)

MiamiSpartan
07-08-2011, 03:10 PM

This.

MiamiSpartan
07-08-2011, 03:15 PM
IMO, SHE wants to go to the concert, which is important to her...
OTL is compromising by moving his workout to the am, which is important to him, in order to free up time to go to the concert with her....
Waking up 15-20 minutes early shouldn't be a biggie.....
But what do I know...?

righter
07-08-2011, 03:53 PM

There ya go!

Kiss and make up!!!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-love006.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Whiskeyjack
07-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Part of the problem is my wife doesn't really like to plan ahead for stuff. She just likes to all of a sudden go hey let's go to this 'right now'. Well that makes planning a workout schedule kind of hard and I think she feels it takes all the fun out of going places. She doesn't even like to plan out vacations, we just get in the car and head down the road and see what we see along the way. It's a matter of deciding on east, west, north or south and then driving. It can be kind of fun but that's caused us some fights through the years too.... I kinda
like to have a general idea where I'm
headed.

Boy is she the polar opposite of mine. She has to do a colour-coded cost-benefit analysis whether it's vacation or a movie. Can't take her to dinner without a week's notice to plan, to seed the idea, etc.

I take the bad with the good because at 20 together I am committed to her, but I sure would like a bit of spontaneity.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-08-2011, 04:53 PM
There ya go!

Kiss and make out!!!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-love006.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Fixed that for you. ;) :D

djflex
07-08-2011, 05:09 PM
So you out of the dog house?

nvrstopworking
07-08-2011, 05:43 PM

Boy is she the polar opposite of mine. She has to do a colour-coded cost-benefit analysis whether it's vacation or a movie. Can't take her to dinner without a week's notice to plan, to seed the idea, etc.

I take the bad with the good because at 20 together I am committed to her, but I sure would like a bit of spontaneity.

The more that I listen to you guys (and others in this thread) talk the more I get convinced that I'm not destined for marriage lol....

I'm a pretty patient, good-natured person but some of that stuff would drive me insane if I had to deal with it on a regular basis.

Kudos to both of you. :)

Old-Time-Lifter
07-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Women are a lot of work but imho they are worth it ultimately. ;) :D

We'll just leave it at that.

Have a great weekend all. :)

IronCharles
07-09-2011, 12:54 PM
I think Roy made some sammiches, and all is well now! ;)

I want a sammich too, dammit! :mad: :p

Old-Time-Lifter
07-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Go see your wife then Charles. :p

LisaSkinnoble
07-09-2011, 01:25 PM
The more that I listen to you guys (and others in this thread) talk the more I get convinced that I'm not destined for marriage lol....

I'm a pretty patient, good-natured person but some of that stuff would drive me insane if I had to deal with it on a regular basis.

Kudos to both of you. :)

The right gal is out there waiting for you, Wayne. She'll adore you and your hobbies. And heck, she might even take up your hobby, and even like it. Been known to happen. ;) :)

Women are a lot of work but imho they are worth it ultimately. ;) :D

We'll just leave it at that.

Have a great weekend all. :)

This made me :) :)