PDA

View Full Version : My vacation and planet fitness

NYkarate
06-25-2011, 02:08 AM
So I wake up at 5:30am to go work out at a Powerhouse Gym. I get on the highway and bam, I have a blow-out. I put on the spare and pull off the highway. So there is a tire place right down the street from a planet fitness. So I dropped off the car and worked out in the Barney gym. It was twice the price of Powerhouse and much less of a gym. No, I didn't set off the lunk alarm. But what a pain it was to work out there, they had no squat rack, or bench press and the dumbbells only went up to 75. I felt very uncomfortable working out there and it made me appreciate my gym all the more.

crupiea
06-25-2011, 08:56 AM
No bench press? wtf. they call that a gym? i suppose there was no coffee pot as well.

nvrstopworking
06-25-2011, 09:02 AM
No bench press? wtf. they call that a gym? i suppose there was no coffee pot as well.

That's shocking... never heard of a "gym" that doesn't have a bench.

GirLInterrupted
06-25-2011, 09:07 AM
So I wake up at 5:30am to go work out at a Powerhouse Gym. I get on the highway and bam, I have a blow-out. I put on the spare and pull off the highway. So there is a tire place right down the street from a planet fitness. So I dropped off the car and worked out in the Barney gym. It was twice the price of Powerhouse and much less of a gym. No, I didn't set off the lunk alarm. But what a pain it was to work out there, they had no squat rack, or bench press and the dumbbells only went up to 75. I felt very uncomfortable working out there and it made me appreciate my gym all the more.

At least you sucked it up and went and got a workout! Good for you :) Some people would have been too cocky to go. You made the best out of a sh!tty situation!

Brackneyc
06-25-2011, 10:06 AM
What is Planet Fitness.

Corbi
06-25-2011, 10:16 AM
What is Planet Fitness.

Never heard of them, don't believe we have ever had a thread about this gym either. OP please aware us.

NYkarate
06-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Never heard of them, don't believe we have ever had a thread about this gym either. OP please aware us.

Very funny. Just thought I would share my experience and the fact that I sucked it up and worked out in Barneyland. I really regret not making it to Powerhouse Gym, I so wanted to buy a t-shirt from the place.

pharmamarketer
06-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Very funny. Just thought I would share my experience and the fact that I sucked it up and worked out in Barneyland. I really regret not making it to Powerhouse Gym, I so wanted to buy a t-shirt from the place.

I'm pretty sure you could still buy one....online

Runic
06-25-2011, 04:45 PM
I think one of the other threads said something about there is no bench or squat rack to keep their insurance lower.

NYkarate
06-25-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm pretty sure you could still buy one....online

I am sure, it just isn't the same thing.

jayluk4600
06-25-2011, 04:48 PM
I work alot of hrs and I have a family. These 2 things keep me from finding time for a real gym as the closest real gym is maybe 30 min away. The gym I go to does not have a squat rack or a real bench BUT they do have this rack with movable pegs so I can set it up to do real bench and real squats.

It sucks but I make do but god do I miss a good ole fashioned bench press. These gyms these days are so commercial they worry about the cost of their insurance having a real bench and a real squat rack. It is really dumb to be honest as I am typing this I am getting mad about it. LOL

People see me training there I do get alot of odd looks, espec when squatting LOL

Brackneyc
06-25-2011, 04:58 PM
People see me training there I do get alot of odd looks, espec when squatting LOL

This^^ is the real reason these "gyms" don't have basic equipment...no one would use it. Well, not as many as will use a machine, or a treadmill. I built my home gym as was needed for me. If I were a businessman, I'd much rather have a PF than what I have in my basement.

djflex
06-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Considering negs for not setting off lunk alarm....

On a positivr note dont they give out free donuts?

Whiskeyjack
06-25-2011, 05:02 PM
At least you sucked it up and went and got a workout! Good for you :) Some people would have been too cocky to go. You made the best out of a sh!tty situation!

This is my view.

NYkarate
06-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Considering negs for not setting off lunk alarm....

On a positivr note dont they give out free donuts?

Funny you say that, while I was there they were announcing free bagels one day and free piza another. I was chuckling under my breadth during the announcment. I also think the lunk alarm was broken, but it is kind of hard to make much noise with rubberized dumbbells and a padded floor. I could have clunked down the cable row (no barbells past 80 or so lbs do do my regular barbell rows), but I never do that.

By the way, it was $20 to work out there. Seriously, what a rip-off. They said I would get a full refund if I join within a month. I told them I am on vacation and it wouldn't makes sense for me to join. So the lady very politely said it was policy. I mean seriously, they don't have a visitor from out of town fee? Who is going to join a gym hundreds of miles from their home, WTF??? PH was only $10, which to me is much more reasonable.

djflex
06-26-2011, 07:13 AM
Would eat free bagels or pizza at gym...srs

Maybe you can still make it over to ph. Whenever possible i like to visit out of town gyms...just for fun

Nikonguy
06-26-2011, 07:31 AM
cool story bro

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww150/nikonguy_album/pflogo.jpg