PDA

View Full Version : Personal training as a part time job?

killbill34
06-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Is this possible? I'm going into my sophomore year of college as a kinesiology major and I wanted to become a personal trainer during my college years in order to help pay for college and I think it'd look good as I'm planning on going to physical therapy school. The thing is during the school year I am very busy with class work and won't be able to dedicate full time to personal training. So is it possible to do part time personal training but still make decent cash? I'd really appreciate some insight on this before I drop $600 on the NASM package. Thanks!

Nate R.
06-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Is this possible? I'm going into my sophomore year of college as a kinesiology major and I wanted to become a personal trainer during my college years in order to help pay for college and I think it'd look good as I'm planning on going to physical therapy school. The thing is during the school year I am very busy with class work and won't be able to dedicate full time to personal training. So is it possible to do part time personal training but still make decent cash? I'd really appreciate some insight on this before I drop $600 on the NASM package. Thanks!

It is an excellent part time job when in school! I am still going to college and working as a trainer. I make a lot for my hourly rate but dont have as many hours as full time. I make as much as my friends do that work full time all week. The hard part is actually working it full time and staying booked with clients.

I would go for it man

onionhead444
06-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Im starting school in the fall and plan on studying to go to a physical therapy doctorate program.. My schedule will look like this:
6am-10am gym, 11-4 school 5-8 gym 8-11 homework, freetime etc

KyleAaron
06-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Yes, very possible and very common.

Those coming into it with the "just for some spare cash" mindset will of course not usually be as good as those coming with a "it's my career" mindset. But they'll still know more than 99% of gym members and clients, so will have plenty to offer. They'll be the ordinary trainers, not the excellent ones.

killbill34
06-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Thank you all! So how should I go about doing this? Should I plan to work at a gym or on my own?

JOhman
06-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Thank you all! So how should I go about doing this? Should I plan to work at a gym or on my own?

Working at a gym allows you to obtain clients more easily, but also has the downside of having to work for someone else. If you feel that you can build a great client base on your own without the help of a gym then I would recommend this obviously cause you aren't tied down and you can make more money this way.

Once you do start to develop a client base or even before you begin training you should have a client management system. WT Trainer is a great tool that allows you to do so many things whether it is generating sales proposals, invoicing clients, scheduling training sessions, logging client workouts, setting & tracking goals, building workout plans, and so much more, all online and in one complete tool. This means no more spreadsheets or switching back and forth between various software programs. WT Trainer can be found at WeightTraining.com

Hope this helps,

John

JohnO@WeightTraining.com

KarmaKong
06-20-2011, 05:04 AM
If I wanted a career as a Personal trainer is there any certification that is accepted world wide???? Where would I start?

chrisarnett
07-04-2011, 12:30 AM
I used to train over 35 clients. I was making over 7 grand a month and now I only train 7 clients total and I work just 2 days a week.

I would say it's highly possible when you own your own studio. Not sure when you have to work for a gym type of mill program pushing products and making sales.