PDA

View Full Version : Help boxing questions

vancityk
06-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Please excuse me if I do anything wrong in this post it is my first one.
I just have a few questions for any boxers that might be on this forum. A little about my self I fight at 175lbs and from what I'v been told picked up the sport of boxing extremely quickly. I had my first fight with only 5 months of training and won. This is where it goes downhill. For some odd reason I can never fight the way I spar or train in practice. My coaches tell me I dont even look like the same person. I lost my last two but that doesnt bother me as much as not being able to translate my training into my fighting. I'v gotten noticeably worse in my last two fights and seem like Im going backwards. I dont understand why this is happening. This month will be my 8 months of training and really want to do whatever possible to fight to my potential any solutions? Another question I have is can anyone post any good lifting programs I can use that won't hinder my boxing. My coaches tell me over and over I shouldn't lift but they're a bit old school in there thinking because I know infact a lot of boxer incorporate lifting in the regime. I appreciate the time in looking into my post, hope I get a response soon...

Much Appreciated...

grandhustlek1ng
06-12-2011, 09:55 PM
check rossboxing.com

Kinesiologist
06-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Rossboxing is garbage by the way... I haven't seem you so it's hard to say exactly what is a solution but lift how ever you want it will never hinder boxing as long as you stay flexible.I'm a former Olympian and current professona boxer and I lift 6 days a week, I think conditioning is super important and translates over to actual fights try doing sprints it's the next best thing next to sparring for fight preparation. And skill set wise I have to say footwork is what separates good fighters from great fighters, watch as much tape as you can of early Roy Jones jr,Oscar Delahoya, Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson to name a few boxing is a thinking mans sport. Be smarter than your opponent be in top shape and the rest will be your skill set but be patient 8 months is still very very green I have been boxing 15 years and still learn something everyday.....

vancityk
06-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Rossboxing is garbage by the way... I haven't seem you so it's hard to say exactly what is a solution but lift how ever you want it will never hinder boxing as long as you stay flexible.I'm a former Olympian and current professona boxer and I lift 6 days a week, I think conditioning is super important and translates over to actual fights try doing sprints it's the next best thing next to sparring for fight preparation. And skill set wise I have to say footwork is what separates good fighters from great fighters, watch as much tape as you can of early Roy Jones jr,Oscar Delahoya, Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson to name a few boxing is a thinking mans sport. Be smarter than your opponent be in top shape and the rest will be your skill set but be patient 8 months is still very very green I have been boxing 15 years and still learn something everyday.....

I really appreciate you getting back to me man. Ya my coaches seem to think that if i lift i'll become slower and my punches won't be thrown loose. But again like i have stated they're very old school in their methods. What do you focus on primarily in the weight room? And do going back to my first question do you have any idea why I cant fight like the way I spar in practice? Im noticeably worse come fight time I wing punches that are not strait and seem to freeze if I have a boxer that is a rushing kind of style and end up throwing my entire game plan out the window. You have any psychology kind of answer to it or is it something that just comes with time in the gym? Like I said before i appreciate you guys responding to me quickly..