PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Barbell

Gunnett
04-29-2011, 05:49 AM
I know, I know there are a million of threads on this topic and I have been reading them over the last week or so. I have narrowed down my choices and I just need help making the final decision. I primarily do the Madcow 5x5 program so it's a majority of powerlifting static movements. I know that ideally the diameters of a bar one would use for a deadlift compared to squat would be different, but I really only want to purchase one bar. Though I haven't done any olympic lifts, I'd still like the option to in the future. I've heard a lot about CrossFit but don't know much about it but that's another topic.

So with 5x5, I would want a bar good for squats, making Center Knurling a must. I'm thinking that 29mm would be a good diameter to still allow a good grip for deadlifts. I obviously want a bar that doesn't have bolts on the end that is a higher quality.

I'm thinking the Troy AOB-1500 seems like the best choice.
http://www.troybarbell.com/items.aspx?brand=vtx&cat=bar&catnumber=9&item=15

I've also looked at the Jesup OPB86M but it seems like the diameter is too thick and the bar is too stiff to be multi purpose.
http://jesupgym.com/products.php?cid=12

I hear a lot of people talk about Rogue bars, the Beater bar seems to suffer from the same problems as the Jesup and lacks the center knurling. The economy bar may work but it's not in stock and there is no information about the specifics of the bar. I believe the economy bar was a closeout.

I already have Troy VTX plates so I see the Troy AOB-1500 seems like the best choice. It just seems like $250 for "just a bar" is a lot especially since I weigh like 175 lbs and I'm probably never gonna have more than 350 lbs on the bar.

AttyGuy
04-29-2011, 06:58 AM
So with 5x5, I would want a bar good for squats, making Center Knurling a must.

A must? Why?

mr_ben
04-29-2011, 07:00 AM
just use the standard olympic 20kg bar i guess?

Gunnett
04-29-2011, 07:52 AM
A must? Why?

That what I been lead to believe and what I'm accustomed to. Your thoughts?

I also see the Cap OB-86BCK might be an option but I have a prejudice against CAP products.

KBKB
04-29-2011, 07:55 AM
So with 5x5, I would want a bar good for squats, making Center Knurling a must. I'm thinking that 29mm would be a good diameter to still allow a good grip for deadlifts. I obviously want a bar that doesn't have bolts on the end that is a higher quality.

Take a look at the B&R (Burgener & Rippetoe) Bar (http://www.roguefitness.com/burgener-ripptoe-bar.php). It has center knurling and is 29mm in diameter. It seems like a well thought out bar in that it has a bit of extra smooth steel in between the knurls to help keep your shins from getting torn up when deadlifting.

The B&R bar was one of the ones that I considered as I, too, was looking at bars recently. I ended up purchasing the Rogue bar with no center knurling.

A must? Why?
The theory is that the center knurling provides better friction against your shirt, thus helping you maintain correct bar position during squats. I'm not convinced it's a "must" though. (To the best of my recollection, all the squats that I did back in the day were with a bar with no center knurling.)

AttyGuy
04-29-2011, 08:27 AM

KBKB has part of the answer, the center knurling may help with holding the bar to your shirt when doing heavy squats. It has also been said that bars had center knurling back when competitors in the iron game and strongmen did one-handed snatches. Objectively, center knurling is not a must. It may be necessary for some when going heavy or if one is perspiring heavily.

Gunnett
04-29-2011, 08:46 AM
KBKB has part of the answer, the center knurling may help with holding the bar to your shirt when doing heavy squats. It has also been said that bars had center knurling back when competitors in the iron game and strongmen did one-handed snatches. Objectively, center knurling is not a must. It may be necessary for some when going heavy or if one is perspiring heavily.

I figured that since I'm usually squatting three times a week, I would really benefit from the Center Knurling. That's why I've been leaning towards the AOB-1500 rather than the AOB-1200B or GOB-1200 by Troy because of CK. As for the Jesup, I'm under the impression that it is thick and stiff and not good for dead lifting.

Kodokan
04-29-2011, 08:52 AM
I figured that since I'm usually squatting three times a week, I would really benefit from the Center Knurling. That's why I've been leaning towards the AOB-1500 rather than the AOB-1200B or GOB-1200 by Troy because of CK. As for the Jesup, I'm under the impression that it is thick and stiff and not good for dead lifting.

for what it's worth, i've got an econ pendlay bar without cente knurling and it's great. no problems with squatting, and it's a + in my opinion for deadlift and front squatting without having the knurl chew your throat.

Gunnett
04-29-2011, 08:54 AM
for what it's worth, i've got an econ pendlay bar without cente knurling and it's great. no problems with squatting, and it's a + in my opinion for deadlift and front squatting without having the knurl chew your throat.

They don't make the pendlay economy or the rogue economy anymore do they?

Mitrovski
04-29-2011, 09:05 AM
http://www.wwfitness.com/olybarscollars.html

TPB out of your price range? I like mine better than the Troy, although the Troy is a decent bar. What's your budget?

AttyGuy
04-29-2011, 09:23 AM
I don't think the number of times a week you squat is key determinant on whether you need center knurling. Preference, weight on the bar, perspiration, and whether or not you wear a shirt (on which the bar may or may not slip) are factors. If you prefer the center knurling, fine.

Gunnett
04-29-2011, 09:39 AM
http://www.wwfitness.com/olybarscollars.html

TPB out of your price range? I like mine better than the Troy, although the Troy is a decent bar. What's your budget?

No more than $250, obviously the cheaper the better. I really like the price of the Jesup.
I've not ever squatted bare shirt, I also don't sweat too much.

Troy AOB-1500 is available locally for $245 plus tax.
Jesup is $175 shipped.

Gunnett
04-29-2011, 11:10 AM
*****://www.lifestylesport.com/p-2234-texas-power-bar.aspx

How about that?

I'd like to have it by May 9

twodog
04-29-2011, 01:11 PM
I also see the Cap OB-86BCK might be an option but I have a prejudice against CAP products.

Why not look into the Cap, I also don't have a love for cap products but Christians Fitness Factory recommends the OB-86B as a very good bar.

http://blog.christiansfitnessfactory.com/what-is-the-best-olympic-bar/

And the shipped price is around $185. Heck since you are already in Pa. you can take a day drive and have it the same day, or at least check it and other bars out.

Good Luck !

Gunnett
04-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Why not look into the Cap, I also don't have a love for cap products but Christians Fitness Factory recommends the OB-86B as a very good bar.

http://blog.christiansfitnessfactory.com/what-is-the-best-olympic-bar/

And the shipped price is around $185. Heck since you are already in Pa. you can take a day drive and have it the same day, or at least check it and other bars out.

Good Luck !

The version with Center Knurling is around $232.5 shipped

Cleveland33
04-29-2011, 01:46 PM
It seems like a well thought out bar in that it has a bit of extra smooth steel in between the knurls to help keep your shins from getting torn up when deadlifting.

My favorite part of deadlifting is the bleeding from tearing my shins up. Freak some people out and all.

twodog
04-29-2011, 01:57 PM
The version with Center Knurling is around $232.5 shipped

The price is still good and I wouldn't want the knurling anyway personally. I've never had a problem squating with a smooth center bar (550 max) and if you do any heavy cleans or even military presses with a center knurling it can hurt like h***. If you get the center knurling make sure it's deep cut so that it can grab on to your traps because that's what it's for.

Honestly, if I were you I would definitely take a day trip down to Lancaster because they have a bunch of bars and you can check for feel. The $45 shipping savings would help with the gas and you will get what you really want, because holding, feeling and using a bar is the only way to know if it's right.

Good Luck.

Gunnett
04-29-2011, 02:37 PM
The price is still good and I wouldn't want the knurling anyway personally. I've never had a problem squating with a smooth center bar (550 max) and if you do any heavy cleans or even military presses with a center knurling it can hurt like h***. If you get the center knurling make sure it's deep cut so that it can grab on to your traps because that's what it's for.

Honestly, if I were you I would definitely take a day trip down to Lancaster because they have a bunch of bars and you can check for feel. The $45 shipping savings would help with the gas and you will get what you really want, because holding, feeling and using a bar is the only way to know if it's right.

Good Luck.

I agree with you completely, I was actually gonna do that before but didn't have time. Currently, I'm in a predicament where I'm on work release jail and I will be on house arrest. I'll be home May 9 so I wanted to have my bar is broken (got it for free used and bolt was missing from one of the collars). I'm leaning towards the Jesup because it seems like best bang for the buck and I can suck it up for deadlift (once a week). I also could use an ez curl bar and I was gonna order one of Jesup's along with it.

twodog
04-29-2011, 02:46 PM
I agree with you completely, I was actually gonna do that before but didn't have time. Currently, I'm in a predicament where I'm on work release jail and I will be on house arrest. I'll be home May 9 so I wanted to have my bar is broken (got it for free used and bolt was missing from one of the collars). I'm leaning towards the Jesup because it seems like best bang for the buck and I can suck it up for deadlift (once a week). I also could use an ez curl bar and I was gonna order one of Jesup's along with it.

Understood. Good luck !

Gunnett
04-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Understood. Good luck !

I wish I knew what the diameter of the barbells at the gym were. I'd imagine they are 28-29mm that's standard. I keep questioning myself because everyone keeps saying how thick 31.7mm the Jesup bar is.

dEAthdEAlEr69
04-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Just ordered the IVANKO OBX-20KG to replace my cheap-ass bar I use to squat/bench in my rack. I have a "Rogue-bar" from rogue-fitness.com which I use to do deadlifts, powercleans, and overhead press and anything else I want to do outside of the rack.

The OBX-20KG seemed like a really nice bar for a home gym from what I was reading online. I will report back when it comes in a few weeks.

Kodokan
04-29-2011, 03:04 PM
They don't make the pendlay economy or the rogue economy anymore do they?

They don't...I just mention it to note that the lack of center knurling doesn't need to be an issue, and I follow a squat 3x week program.

The Rogue beater bar would probably be as good as it gets for a cheap-o bar, but I'd probably rather pay the extra money for the B&R or Rogue bar if I wanted to ever do cleans.

grumpytude
04-29-2011, 04:14 PM
A must? Why?

I agree- I have the rogue bar- no center knurling -and its a non-issue when doing squats. maybe for others it can be a big deal- but I've used both and in my case, it really doesn't affect the lift. So I wouldn't base your decision on that alone.

cgc
04-29-2011, 05:16 PM

I did a review of that cap bar. If you do a search for my name and cap, I'm pretty outspoke about how much I hate cap equipment…but I love this bar.
Now it does not have the center knurling but I have zero problems with it unless I have my shirt off and extremely sweaty. If you have a shirt on you will have zero issues.

For reference I'm doing a 5/3/1 routine with squats, and good mornings and no issues with the bar slipping around on my back

Great bar, great price by a company I normally consider crappy.…but I have no issues recommending it. lol

AttyGuy
04-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Currently, I'm in a predicament where I'm on work release jail and I will be on house arrest.

Interesting.

Gunnett
04-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Interesting.

Two DUI's

Gunnett
04-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Seems there is a lot of love for the TPB, I could go with the Capp's or a Troy AOB-1500B (I know the AOB-2000B) is the Texas power bar but the difference between the AOB-1500B and AOB-2000B seems to be zinc vs. steel.

Found this on a CrossFit forum.

"A little info I found on Troy's stuff, my e-mail to garage gym...

To whom it may concern,
I was just wondering what the differencs were between your Troy 28mm 1500lb test O-bar and Pendlay's Econ HD. They seem like similar products but it seems there would have to have been some budgeting cuts since you're selling it for about $50 less. If you have some information on the bushing construction, the shaft material, etc I would greatly appreciate it. I was also wondering the difference in the Texas Power bar and the the bars in question. Would these bars be versatile in their baility to be used in the O-lifts as well as slow lifts? I'm looking for a bar that would eventually go into a CrossFit facility if that helps you.
Thanks for your time,
Joby

Hello ,

Thank you for your interest in the GGS .

The pricing is a wholesale vs. retail issue and not one of quality. Troy's AOB-1500 and Texas Bar, AOB-2000B, possess a statical test of 1500lb. That's how much the bar will hold statically. I believe this is approx. 300-400lb more than what the Pendlay bar is rated for.
The collars on both , are snap-ring construction and made of stainless steel, have bronze bushings, and possess a 28 mm shaft. The AOB-1500B has a black zinc shaft with 4" center knurl. The Texas Power Bar is a polished steel shaft with a 4" center knurl and is way superior to Pendlay's Econ HD bar.

I hope this helps . Please let us know if we can assist you with anything else .

Thank you
Melissa

Still no answer on versatility but I e-mailed back and will post the response"

BisonPhoenix
04-30-2011, 12:39 PM
*****://www.lifestylesport.com/p-2234-texas-power-bar.aspx

How about that?

I'd like to have it by May 9

If I were to buy one bar to do it all (sans Oly lifting), it would be the TBP.

Gunnett
05-02-2011, 06:10 AM
If I were to buy one bar to do it all (sans Oly lifting), it would be the TBP.

Capps "Texas" Power Bar seems like a happy medium, it seems like a do it all bar and the price is pretty reasonable $275 shipped.

Anyone have any experience with their other bars, I need an EZ Curl bar as well.

twodog
05-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks for letting us know what you went with. I'm sorry that I can't help with a ez curl ar choice.

Good luck with The Texas power bar and give us a review after you use it .

gp92089
05-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Get the B&R bar! I have it and love it for slow lifts.

http://www.roguefitness.com/burgener-ripptoe-bar.php

Gunnett
05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone, I opted for the Capp's Texas Power Bar. The EZ Curl bar that Weightlifter's Warehouse carries is just a CAP's Barbell brand EZ Curl Bar. Time to look for a decent EZ Curl Bar...