PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the straight pullup bar?

eddiehead
04-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Most gyms in our area do not have any straight / horizontal pullup bars. Instead there are handles that stick out and up at various angles. Why is this? Is there some type of benefit to these type of bars as opposed to the old-fashioned straight bar that I prefer?

AsianAesthetics
04-17-2011, 11:45 AM
its easier on the wrists for wide grip.

Shoua
04-17-2011, 12:11 PM
its easier on the wrists for wide grip.

Not just wide grip but also all other grip widths. As someone with a wrist injury due to over supination, I had to experiment with many pullup grip variations so that I could do pullups again with no pain. A slightly pronated grip worked best for me.

RBLOCK
04-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Most gyms in our area do not have any straight / horizontal pullup bars. Instead there are handles that stick out and up at various angles. Why is this? Is there some type of benefit to these type of bars as opposed to the old-fashioned straight bar that I prefer?

No, I think it's mostly silliness. Much of the commercial gym equipment nowadays is catering to people who want their gyms to look more like star trek and less like the gyms of the '70s. IMO the only pullup bars that don't strain rotator cuffs are horizontal and parallel grips.

RBLOCK
04-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Not just wide grip but also all other grip widths. As someone with a wrist injury due to over supination, I had to experiment with many pullup grip variations so that I could do pullups again with no pain. A slightly pronated grip worked best for me.

In that case it sounds like this is a question of personal preference. I have a wrist flexion injury, and it's very difficult for me to grip angled bars ever since it happened. I usually go for parallel grips on cable stations and pullups alike.

PeterGibbons316
04-17-2011, 12:26 PM
I AGREE!

I hate the "bars" that are actually broken in the middle so that you can't do close-grips.

Trevy-trev
04-17-2011, 01:32 PM
IMO the only pullup bars that don't strain rotator cuffs are horizontal and parallel grips.
me too. The angled grip pullup bars kill my shoulders.

eddiehead
04-17-2011, 06:03 PM
I AGREE!

I hate the "bars" that are actually broken in the middle so that you can't do close-grips.

I agree, the one I use at the gym in on a power tower and you cannot do a close grip. It at least allows me to use a straight grip at a slightly wider than shoulder width grip, then it veers down and away for the wide grip. This is at least better than than the other pullup contraption they have... that one is basically a massive square-shaped crossbar that attaches two huge pieces of universal equipment, and 4 handles stick out from this crossbar. You grab the handles to do the pullups. If you've been to a big gym like Urban Active, you probably know the kind I mean.

I just don't get why these places can't have one straight pullup bar. People must not want them, I dunno...