PDA

View Full Version : Please any tips would be appreciated

sweetmx85
02-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Im a stay at home mom, cant afford a trainer, I just need to know a few basics, like protein shakes, the gnc guy talked me into their amplified wheybolic extreme 60 and gave me a sample of oxy elite pro. Ive been doin workouts from this book I got called womans health big book of exercises and they really are making me sweat. I cut out pops, sweets, ive been tryin to just eat healthier stuff like veggies and fruits, not as big portions and low fat yogurt instead of ice cream. Idk how much cardio I should be doing, I would like to have more muscle and get rid of this baby belly Ive had the past year. I need to drop my fat down and build up muscle. I read that lifting is more important than cardio?? is that true?? or should I do a mixture of both? ive been doing mainly lifting and core training, lunges/squats that type of stuff. Not really running. ive been tryin to drink 90oz of water a day. so theres the info here are my questions :)
is their a cheaper better protein shake? and when should i be drinking it?
should I go ahead and the full size of the oxy elite pro or is their something better?
more cardio and less lifting?
do situps even really do anything for slimming your midsection or does that work only after your already fit?
how does meal replacing work, which meals and how?
I think thats all, any help, tips, answers, suggestions would be aweosme thank you in advance!

TeayotaSoupra
02-24-2011, 01:53 PM
I let GNC sell me that expensive stuff too...
Myoplex is yummy protein and so is ON whey.. there is a thread in the supplement section on them all.

I take OxyElite Pro and love it. makes me feel great!!!

bethtwenty4
02-24-2011, 03:08 PM
First things first. Diet is #1 by a long shot. Have you figured out what your maintenance calories are? Do that, then subtract 500 for a ~1lb drop each week.

Next, set up your diet. Aim for 1-1.5g/protein and at least .5g/fat per lb of bodyweight. Fill the rest of your calories with carbs or more fat/protein.

You don't NEED protein shakes or ANY type of supplement to get fit. If you find it hard to meet your proteinquota, by all means, have a shake.

Don't believe the myths: carbs after 6pm get stored as fat, lifting heavy will make you look like a man, fat is bad, etc.

When it comes to transforming your body, it goes like this:
1. Diet
2. Weight lifting
3. Cardio

You can be strong as a horse(and look like one) if you over eat. Not eating enough will hinder muscle growth and, as you drop weight, you'll drop muscle.

Lifting builds muscles which raises metabolism which burns calories.

Cardio is fine. If you enjoy it, do it. I think of it as a tool to create a caloric deficit. It burns calories while you do it. You can do it so that you may eat more while losing weight.

sweetmx85
02-24-2011, 03:40 PM
ok with diet im really just winging it, Ive been trying to eat what I think is healthy but im not sure how much of what I should be eating. Ive never really ate unhealthy dinners its the snacking through out the day. So I havent really been eating breakfast, im never hungry in the morning and if I am ill eat a peice of fruit, usually a banana or an orange or two or three. Then Ill work out, then after I work out ive been drinking my protein shake but instead of the 3 scoops like it says with 12oz of water ive been doing half of that. Ill snack on carrots or celery and peanut butter or low fat yogurt till dinner then eat whatever I made in the crock pot that day. usually chicken breast and a "cream of" soup and rice. Ill google how to find my maintence calories im 26, 5'7 140lbs.

Scots65
02-24-2011, 03:46 PM
On is surly the best I am hooked on it on the first day!

sweetmx85
02-24-2011, 05:03 PM
is ON optimum nutrition?

Emma-Leigh
02-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Im a stay at home mom, cant afford a trainer, I just need to know a few basics, like protein shakes, the gnc guy talked me into their amplified wheybolic extreme 60 and gave me a sample of oxy elite pro. Ive been doin workouts from this book I got called womans health big book of exercises and they really are making me sweat. I cut out pops, sweets, ive been tryin to just eat healthier stuff like veggies and fruits, not as big portions and low fat yogurt instead of ice cream. Idk how much cardio I should be doing, I would like to have more muscle and get rid of this baby belly Ive had the past year. I need to drop my fat down and build up muscle. I read that lifting is more important than cardio?? is that true?? or should I do a mixture of both? ive been doing mainly lifting and core training, lunges/squats that type of stuff. Not really running. ive been tryin to drink 90oz of water a day.
1st. No matter what CHOICES you make with your food - if you eat too much, you'll not lose weight.
Weight loss is all about how MUCH you eat. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703921
BUT eating mostly healthy food WILL help you FEEL better and help you maintain your HEALTH as you diet (which is important, too). ;)

2nd. Both weights and cardio can be important (to different degrees) when trying to lose fat.

is their a cheaper better protein shake? and when should i be drinking it?
Yes there are STACKS of better / cheaper proteins - try this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123241801
You can drink it when you WANT to drink it in order to help boost your daily protein intake - but you don't NEED a protein powder.

should I go ahead and the full size of the oxy elite pro or is their something better?
Don't bother paying for a thermogenic. It is not worth the money at the moment. Concentrate on getting your diet, lifting, and cardio on track.

more cardio and less lifting?
Correct Diet => weight loss
Correct *heavy* Lifting => keeps your muscle mass and makes you look pretty when the dieting is done
Correct *and not too much* cardio => aids in calorie burning for the day, so you don't have to diet as much
^ too much lifting, and/or too much cardio will both do you a disservice. They need to be in balance with your needs. Check out this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127023861

do situps even really do anything for slimming your midsection or does that work only after your already fit?
Neither. Sit ups can (sometimes) help to strengthen abs (if done properly). But they don't 'slim' your midsection (regardless of how fit you are). Dieting 'slims' your midsection. ;)

how does meal replacing work, which meals and how?
Don't bother unless you NEED to (ie: can't prepare meals/ find alternatives).
You are better just eating proper food. ;)

imperfectly_lou
02-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Check out the sticky in the Female Nutrition section for instructions on calculating your maintenance calories. The thread is titled "Calculating Calories and Macros"

sweetmx85
03-03-2011, 07:56 PM
thanks everyone for you advice!

ALianne
03-05-2011, 10:08 AM
1st. No matter what CHOICES you make with your food - if you eat too much, you'll not lose weight.
Weight loss is all about how MUCH you eat. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703921
BUT eating mostly healthy food WILL help you FEEL better and help you maintain your HEALTH as you diet (which is important, too). ;)

2nd. Both weights and cardio can be important (to different degrees) when trying to lose fat.

Yes there are STACKS of better / cheaper proteins - try this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123241801
You can drink it when you WANT to drink it in order to help boost your daily protein intake - but you don't NEED a protein powder.

Don't bother paying for a thermogenic. It is not worth the money at the moment. Concentrate on getting your diet, lifting, and cardio on track.

Correct Diet => weight loss
Correct *heavy* Lifting => keeps your muscle mass and makes you look pretty when the dieting is done
Correct *and not too much* cardio => aids in calorie burning for the day, so you don't have to diet as much
^ too much lifting, and/or too much cardio will both do you a disservice. They need to be in balance with your needs. Check out this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127023861

Neither. Sit ups can (sometimes) help to strengthen abs (if done properly). But they don't 'slim' your midsection (regardless of how fit you are). Dieting 'slims' your midsection. ;)

Don't bother unless you NEED to (ie: can't prepare meals/ find alternatives).
You are better just eating proper food. ;)

Great reply!!! Straight to the point