PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 or PS3 (4.25k reps for good answers)

Fire8085
02-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Found some costco/walmart deals. I'm also buying a new tv.

Pros and cons of each? They both end up 399 with the movement deal or 199-299 without it. How much does HD space matter. With recommended accessories (what would I need here anyway) how much extra is it?

I'll be mostly playing it on my own, maybe with 1-2 people over on occasion.

I don't care much about blu-ray. Should I? Wouldn't it also be cheaper in the future anyway.

Want to game online with FPS and other things and have netflix etc as well.

Gimme the low down, will it directly connect to the wireless in my house?

Monkey Helmet
02-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Based on what you said I'd say 360.

I guarantee there will be a bunch of posts talking about getting the PS3 for reliability but that's not an issue anymore unless you're planning on buying an older console.

If you don't care about Blu-ray and online shooters are your thing then it seems like 360 is the way to go. Plus the new 360 Slims uses a higher-speed wireless standard and a lot of people have reported more luck and reliability with the 360 Slim's wireless abilities over the PS3.

Just my opinion.

Just Live
02-09-2011, 04:47 PM
if it's going to be used mainly for single player go with the ps3.. tons of great exclusive single players + multi platform single players.

if you think you will use it primarily online then go with 360 as live is a better online experience then psn.. although you will be paying monthly for it

edit- if you do go with a 360 definitely get the 250gb over the 4gb. for the ps3 the lowest gb (160) would be enough for a casual gamer

Fire8085
02-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Repped and bump.

trunchenmassive
02-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Its always nice to have blu-ray just incase you ever may need it, ps3 also has 3D capabilities. But the main thing you should do is go to a gaming site, or find a list of exlcusives (the games only made for 1 console). See which games you like the look of more and go for that console. Good luck.

BobDaNob
02-09-2011, 05:17 PM
It should also be mentioned that the BluRay player in the PS3 is really top notch and probably the highest quality player you can find in that price range.

I also like the fact that Sony basically loses money on each PS3 and there aren't infalted profit margins - kind of makes it seem like a better buy in a way.

But basically, it kinda sounds like the wifi 360 is the one you're leaning towards.

Drew Krew
02-09-2011, 06:36 PM
It really depends on the kind of games you like. If you end up loving mostly multiplatform games (CoD, etc) then go with whatever is cheaper for you.

I have both, and personally I felt that the ps3 was lacking in the exclusive rpg department, which is most unfortunate as I rather enjoy rpgs. Especially when comparing it to the ps2. It seems like more are coming out for it though, so who knows it might change for me.

whiskey55
02-09-2011, 06:50 PM
I would say the PS3 for single-player gaming, 360 for online shooters.

Both can do netflix, and if you're getting a new model both will have built-in wireless and will run reliably (older 360's will need Ethernet and are more prone to RROD).

AlleyBoy
02-09-2011, 06:59 PM
360: Best gaming community, best games, new model=very reliable, unlike the old model with the 3 rings (had my 4gb for some time, even put my own 250 gb hd into it with NO problems)

ps3: great unique games, free online community (however it is VERY difficult to handle, can't even find friends easy, friend psn is stupid), HOWEVER, you can buy a 60 gig for like 40 bucks at target and integrate your own cheap ass hard drive in that bitch for free

I'd still go with the xbox, ps3 can be bought later for like 40 bucks, then adding your own hardrive (any hard drive will work unlike the new xbox's tho).
Plus the ps3 still has overheating issues, the new model of xbox with the huge ass fan is doing well. The red dot of death rumor, is just a hard drive error, or an error, not DEATH of the xbox.

sorry for bad typing playing halo reach lol

ChristmasFnatic
02-09-2011, 07:40 PM
PS3 - lots of great games thats been release and lots to look forward to.

360 - got lots of games released but so far, not much to look forward to.

And Blu-ray = your favorite movies = win. Star Wars Collection this Sept.!

cellshot
02-09-2011, 07:47 PM

Pros and cons of each? They both end up 399 with the movement deal or 199-299 without it. How much does HD space matter. With recommended accessories (what would I need here anyway) how much extra is it?

I don't care much about blu-ray. Should I? Wouldn't it also be cheaper in the future anyway.

Other posters already listed pros/cons

I just wanted to say, if you have never watched a movie on blu-ray, you need to. Especially if you get a good HDTV

mag1c
02-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I have both.

Ever since I got my PS3 I haven't used my 360..

PS3 uses Blu-ray discs which can hold 25 GB. Xbox uses DVDs which can hold ~5 GB. This allows PS3 developers to make games with much more detail than Xbox.

It really depends on what you like though, in terms of games.

If you want Halo, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead get a 360.

If you want Uncharted, Infamous, Resistance, SOCOM, God of War, MGS4 get a PS3.

Both systems have Mass Effect & Bioshock as well as the major call of duties / battlefields / sports games.

Fire8085
02-09-2011, 11:36 PM
On recharge from whiskey down...will get you gentlemen tomorrow.

Title
02-09-2011, 11:42 PM
I have both and like the PS3 better for everything except online play.

heytred
02-09-2011, 11:50 PM

Given the bolded I'd say go with the 360. You say you'll be playing alone mostly so online play doesn't seem like a big deal. The downfall of 360 is the $9.99 a month subscription fee for XBL, whereas PSN is free. I hate playing an FPS on my PS3 because the controller (analog sticks especially) isn't made for those kinds of games... you won't notice if you're just a casual gamer, but trust me the 360 controller is 100x better.

You'll need to buy a wireless adapter to connect your Xbox to your home internet, I believe it used to be $100, but I'm sure the price has gone down or you can find some decent deals.

Unless there's a specific PS3 exclusive title you are looking forward to like KillZone 3 or something, I'd say go with Xbox.

3lixer
02-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Just get both. They're both awesome. I got an XBOX360, PS3 and a Wii and I play them in that order (most to least).

TBH if a game gets a multi-console release I'll always buy it on XBOX. PS3 has some good exclusives though like LBP, MLB the Show, Uncharted series and Gran Turismo 3.

Ecnewyx
02-10-2011, 06:55 AM
I also like the fact that Sony basically loses money on each PS3 and there aren't infalted profit margins - kind of makes it seem like a better buy in a way.

You've just described every console since the PS1 probably.

I'd get a 360 if you're looking to play shooters online. But get what your friends have. If you're foreveralone then 360. :D

BlueHaze23
02-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I've owned both consoles as well and i would pick my 360 over the two.

KiTinMacho
02-10-2011, 09:10 AM
The PS3 offers way more multimedia features. Keep in mind that most games are multiplatform so getting a 360 for single players games isn't bad, the thing is that PS3 has more topnotch games to offer both offline and online.

It really depends on what features/price you like.

thegenerel
02-10-2011, 09:49 AM
the big advantage for the ps3 is blu ray, but you dont seem very interested

the 360 is stronger in online play, which was indicated to be a decision point.

really, they are so similar. 90% of games can be found on either platform, and many of the exclusives dont make one system worth getting over the other.

i suggest you find out what your friends play, and go to best buy to try out each system. the interface and controller are unique to each system, so dont shell out $300 if one controller feels uncomfortable.

fwiw, i prefer the 360 controller. sits better in my hand, trigger buttons easier to press.

eLjay28
02-10-2011, 09:54 AM
If mainly for online i would say 360.

I've had both ps3 and 360, although for single player titles ps3 is win.

I need my multiplayer and psn just lacks what 360 has in entertainment with people online...boring IMO.

No fan boy just my personal opinion.

mrawdtsi
02-10-2011, 09:56 AM
the only thing that makes 360 online play "better" is its a larger community. Meaning more people play on XBL than PSN. aside from that, they are identical.

I've got both. I've red-ringed 5 360s and have a slim now that seems stable. we'll see. The only games i have for 360 are alan wake and halo..... the rest, including shooters i buy on PS3, i personally think things play smoother on PS3.

its all subjective.

keep in mind, the PS3 is really a computer, it can be used as a serious media player (stream movies from other wireless devices on your network, etc..) and is very intuitive, even for a novice to set up. And while you dont seem to have interest in a bluray player, you may as well "future proof" yourself and get one... in the long term, regular DVD will be gone, just nor near term.

nfiniteeffects
02-10-2011, 10:14 AM
360: Best gaming community, best games, new model=very reliable, unlike the old model with the 3 rings (had my 4gb for some time, even put my own 250 gb hd into it with NO problems)

ps3: great unique games, free online community (however it is VERY difficult to handle, can't even find friends easy, friend psn is stupid), HOWEVER, you can buy a 60 gig for like 40 bucks at target and integrate your own cheap ass hard drive in that bitch for free

I'd still go with the xbox, ps3 can be bought later for like 40 bucks, then adding your own hardrive (any hard drive will work unlike the new xbox's tho).
Plus the ps3 still has overheating issues, the new model of xbox with the huge ass fan is doing well. The red dot of death rumor, is just a hard drive error, or an error, not DEATH of the xbox.

sorry for bad typing playing halo reach lol

where the fck are you finding 60gb PS3's for $60?

A preowned PS2 runs about $40......

wowz
02-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Thought there was going to be a console war when I came in here...

everythingwentbetterthanexpected.ppt

Anywho, Ive had 3 PS3's, a 360, and 2 Wii's. Honestly I prefer the PC but play the PS3 the most out of all consoles. For me the free PSN is what has me leaning towards it. I don't really care how many people are on XBL, all I need is 10 people to play a game. Match making is way faster on the 360 but it just doesn't justify what I have to pay to get a game 10 seconds faster.

So like others have said, if you want to pay for a premium online gaming experience, go 360. If you just want to play games and don't care about the extra online features XBL has, go PS3. If you want Blu-Ray, then PS3 again.

If you have a media server, such as a NAS or just running from your computer via Windows media center, both do a phenominal job in connecting almost automatically and being able to stream with ease.

nfiniteeffects
02-10-2011, 10:16 AM
keep in mind, the PS3 is really a computer, it can be used as a serious media player (stream movies from other wireless devices on your network, etc..) and is very intuitive, even for a novice to set up.

Are you aware that an Xbox is just the same?

tdnick
02-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I already had a 360 and I just got a PS3.

The only game I find myself playing on 360 anymore is Black Ops because I just like the 360 controller more when it comes to COD. I dunno why but just do

I love my PS3 though. Netflix app is a lot better for it and the picture is great. Blu Ray is awesome, even if you said you don't really care about it. I like the PS3 dashboard too and it just seems like the PS3 has more capabilities.

If I had to do it again, I would have bought a PS3 first. I feel like its a better all around console and just is better. Hope I helped.

cellshot
02-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Given the bolded I'd say go with the 360. You say you'll be playing alone mostly so online play doesn't seem like a big deal. The downfall of 360 is the $9.99 a month subscription fee for XBL, whereas PSN is free. I hate playing an FPS on my PS3 because the controller (analog sticks especially) isn't made for those kinds of games... you won't notice if you're just a casual gamer, but trust me the 360 controller is 100x better.

You'll need to buy a wireless adapter to connect your Xbox to your home internet, I believe it used to be $100, but I'm sure the price has gone down or you can find some decent deals.

Unless there's a specific PS3 exclusive title you are looking forward to like KillZone 3 or something, I'd say go with Xbox.

If he buys the new 360 slim, it will have built in wifi. I have it and its pretty sexy lookin :D

Yes the 360 can stream music/media as well, but are you aware (you prob are) that the ps3 has a built in internet browser?

(have both systems)

mrawdtsi
02-10-2011, 01:10 PM

i am aware, however the media software for the ps3 is better developed than anything ive seen on xbox. not saying it cant do it, but from personal experience owning both systems, the ps3 does it better.

Sgt T-Man
02-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Good posts up in this thread.

I preferred 360 when it was out even for a year after ps3 launch as the ps3 just lacked in games & alot of other areas i was very upset, but last couple years it has been ps3 always, my 360 only gets used for exclusives next turn my 360 on will be gears of war & that is it.

Both are decent systems but i prefer the ps3 PSn & trophies instead of those points the 360 does.

Just Live
02-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Good posts up in this thread.

this!

must say i'm proud misc.

a 360 vs ps3 thread without flaming console wars... thats a first :)

snako3000
02-10-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm a PS3 fan. But then it all comes down to personal preferences I guess. Some of my friends went for xBox, and so did the console war lol

Anyone who got the PS3 tried out GT5? Some people said it's not as good as it was expected. I never played it though.

BobDaNob
02-10-2011, 07:04 PM
You've just described every console since the PS1 probably.

Nah, Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft have never lost money on a console as much as the PS3 - it's because Sony insisted on using some sorta high quality BluRay player.

They're gambling that online play, big exclusive games and the BluRay will cover them in the long run.

It's an interesting marketing technique, and one I kinda like. It means they'll try extra hard to put out good content.

brb, getting a PS3 one of these days.

Fire8085
02-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Thank you, got everyone on page 1 so far.

forthenoodz
02-12-2011, 04:37 PM
based on what you said, 360 for sure.

acfusion29
02-12-2011, 06:37 PM
PS3 uses Blu-ray discs which can hold 25 GB. Xbox uses DVDs which can hold ~5 GB. This allows PS3 developers to make games with much more detail than Xbox.

biggest misconception in video gaming..

first off, xbox 360 games are on dual layer and hold 8.5gb

yes, a bluray disc can hold up to 25GB, but games that are for xbox and ps3 are developed for the xbox and ported over to the PS3. so the size of the ps3 games is the same as 360. also during porting, there may be loss in quality of the graphics, but there usually isn't. so technically, games on the ps3 aren't superior in graphics. the graphics for GT5 are amazing, but what the hell can you compare that game to for the XBOX? i'm sure if developers wanted to, they could create something as good.

(i have both ps3 and 360 btw, play my ps3 more)

obmas
02-12-2011, 07:19 PM
oh dam, i didn't know the xbox slim had a built in 802.11n wireless. That's pretty sweet, even though I have my ps3 wired.

Fire8085
02-13-2011, 04:52 AM
Alright, getting closer to a choice.

I like the move/kinect features of both as well, seems fun.

Now I would like to buy a system from a store offering a good warranty for the best price. I'm assuming this will be walmart or costco.

Any suggestions?

Family_Guy
02-13-2011, 08:34 AM
If you plan on online gaming then that's an extra $60 a year on 360 while it's free on PS3. Some don't think that's such a big deal, but I couldn't see myself paying for online gaming when it's been free for years.

Ayoub92
02-13-2011, 08:45 AM
I own both consoles, it depends, if you want to play online the xbox live isn't free but you get what you pay for, you have an ingame group chat with up to 7 of your friends, it is easier to invite/ join games and everybody has a mic, in the Playstation Network you kinda feel forever alone.
PS3 is a better media center, you can watch blu rays and is very less loud than the xbox.

The 360 has more games, and a huge list of old games you can buy for a ridiculous price, but the PS3 exclusives like Little Big Planet, Metal Gear solid, Uncharted, Resistence are awesome

IMO i would tell you to get an Xbox, as I play a lot more with it than my PS3.