PDA

View Full Version : Keto Opinions...

urru87
02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
I was hoping some expeirenced keto'ers can help me identify any problems with my diet, been on this for a week. 6'3 250lbs, 33 years, looking to cut for summer. Any input or suggestions are appreciated.

5:45. - 6 raw eggs
8:00. - 15 almonds
10:00 - 2 tbl spoons natural PB, chicken breast, broccoli, mayo mixed with greek feta dressing
1:00. - same as 10:00
4:00. - 35 grams protien powder, 3 fish oil pills
6:00. - 2 tbl spoons almond butter, 2 tbl spoons flax seed oil
8:00. - 35 grams protien power (post-workout)
10:00 - 6 hard boiled with a little mayo

Also, Is it true anything over 120 heartbeats per second during cardio burns muscle? Thanks!

blong4133
02-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I was hoping some expeirenced keto'ers can help me identify any problems with my diet, been on this for a week. 6'3 250lbs, 33 years, looking to cut for summer. Any input or suggestions are appreciated.

5:45. - 6 raw eggs
10:00 - 2 tbl spoons natural PB, chicken breast, broccoli, mayo mixed with greek feta dressing
6:00. - 2 tbl spoons almond butter, 2 tbl spoons flax seed oil
8:00. - 35 grams protien power (post-workout)
10:00 - 6 hard boiled with a little mayo

Also, Is it true anything over 120 heartbeats per second during cardio burns muscle? Thanks!

I'd personally ditch the raw eggs...The nutrients that are lost during cooking them is so insignificant that it's really not worth the risk...I used to do that until my insides pretty much exploded from salmonella poisoning. i wouldn't risk it if I were you.

As far as the rest of it goes, I'd ditch the 4:00 protein shake. You want to eat real food as much as possible while on keto. Protein shakes are fine, but whey is glucogenic, so try to avoid them unless you're drinking them pre/post workout. Also, maybe ditch 2 tbsp of peanut butter. A lot of people like natty pb, but there are carbs in it. You didn't list any macros and i'm too lazy to try and figure it out myself, but it seems like if you ditch either 4 tbsp of natty pb, or 2 tbsp of natty pb and 2 tbsp of almond butter, and instead eat a steak, you'd cut out a good chunk of carbs, while still getting a good bit of fat from a good source. Just my two cents.

And don't worry about heartbeat while doing cardio. Just do HIIT for about 20-30 minutes and you'll be fine. I like to hop on the elliptical and do a 5 minute warm up, then do 1 minute high resistance/maximum effort, then 2 minutes low resistance and at my warm up pace, then just keep doing the 1 minute high intensity/2 minutes low intensity until you've done your cardio for the amount of time you had decided on.

access1denied
02-08-2011, 04:44 PM
5:45. - 6 raw eggs You can eat them raw if you want. It's broscience that the protein is only 50% bioavailable if uncooked. However, there's no reason not to fry these up in some coconut oil to get in some additional Medium Chain Triglycerides.
10:00 - 2 tbl spoons natural PB, chicken breast, broccoli, mayo mixed with greek feta dressing Ditch the peanut butter and go with some coconut oil. The Greek feta is a nice addition, but I'd also recommend goat cheese (Chevre) because of its higher MCT content than cow dairy.
6:00. - 2 tbl spoons almond butter, 2 tbl spoons flax seed oil Ditch the flax seed oil. It is totally unnecessary if you have fish oil. Also, ditch the almond butter and go for coconut oil. In fact, you could even get in some MCT oil instead of coconut oil at this point. If you're scared of not getting in enough fiber, add some psyllium husk.
8:00. - 35 grams protien power (post-workout) I recommend getting in 15g dextrose (Don't forget to calculate the carbs in your protein into this) with your PWO shake. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but a tiny bit of dextrose will not take you out of ketosis for long, if at all, and it helps spare protein and muscle recovery
10:00 - 6 hard boiled with a little mayo There's nothing really wrong here, but I'd still recommend just frying up your eggs in coconut oil.

In general, you're lacking saturated fats, and I'd highly recommend incorporating coconut oil for its MCT content. MCT's are highly ketogenic, and will put you into ketosis faster, while also giving you a quickly absorbed and easily metabolized fuel that is very similar in function to glucose (Minus the insulin response and other stuff bad on keto).

Suggestions in bold

urru87
02-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks to you both, those are great suggestions and just what I was looking for.

blong4133
02-08-2011, 07:44 PM
In general, you're lacking saturated fats, and I'd highly recommend incorporating coconut oil for its MCT content. MCT's are highly ketogenic, and will put you into ketosis faster, while also giving you a quickly absorbed and easily metabolized fuel that is very similar in function to glucose (Minus the insulin response and other stuff bad on keto).

Suggestions in bold

I agree the raw egg thing is a bro science. But when I got salmonella poisoning, i literally felt like I was going to die. Probably the worst thing I've ever went through. I eat raw eggs from time to time when i get tired of cooking them every way imaginable, but i make sure I use the egg beaters when I do. So to the OP if you want to drink the raw eggs, drink the egg beaters, they're pasteurized so all that nasty stuff has already been killed.

Dirty Shoez
02-09-2011, 12:34 AM
If you're looking to cut for summer......you're going to need more variety sooner or later, or you're going to go nuts. Or at least, I would.

Good additions:
Baked Chicken Legs/Thighs/Wings (or Breasts, if you like it dry!)
Beef Roasts (top round, sirloin tip, etc.)
Green Beans, Broccoli, Lettuce
Avocado (great for fats+fiber)

One of my favorite once-in-a-while meals is a Bunless Burger. 2 burger patties, 2 slices cheese, mayo on top, little mustard, maybe 1/2 small avocado..... 700 or so calories, ~50 protein, and only around 5 carbs. Will fill you up for hours.

This diet is fairly easy to stick to, after the first few days. Its after a few weeks of eating the same crap over and over again that you'll get a little stir crazy.