PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else really hate regenerating health in games?

Patrick-Bateman
02-04-2011, 07:42 PM
My issue with it has nothing to do with realism; health packs aren't realistic either.

My problem is that regenerating health totally kills the tension. With the health bar/health pack system, my adrenaline is pumping when I'm low on health, and then I get a wave of relief when I make it past enemies and finally find health or body armor. Remember playing the old Zelda games, sh*tting bricks when you're fighting the boss deep in a dungeon with 2 hearts left and no fairies or potions? Or in Left 4 Dead, when you're black and white, 1 HP left, limping, and the safe room is within sight, but you hear a hunter?

I rarely get this feeling with most modern games that have regenerating health like Black Ops or Bad Company 2, because I know no matter how dangerous the situation seems, I can just sit behind a rock and fap for 5 seconds and I'll be okay.

Box_o_Dynamite
02-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Regen health for decreased rage.

Ephedra
02-04-2011, 08:12 PM
I loved Socom 2 multiplayer because the health didn't regenerate. Made you play quite a bit more realistically.

Moh7
02-04-2011, 08:26 PM
lol..

battlefield 2 and call of duty 1...

i remember one mission in cod 1 i was ****ting my pants looking for a ****ing health pack. My health meter was about 1mm long.

Z06
02-04-2011, 08:47 PM
I can just sit behind a rock and fap for 5 seconds and I'll be okay.

loled hard

Unbeaten
02-04-2011, 09:04 PM
no, this is a video game not real life.

Ultrablack
02-04-2011, 09:05 PM
My issue with it has nothing to do with realism; health packs aren't realistic either.

My problem is that regenerating health totally kills the tension. With the health bar/health pack system, my adrenaline is pumping when I'm low on health, and then I get a wave of relief when I make it past enemies and finally find health or body armor. Remember playing the old Zelda games, sh*tting bricks when you're fighting the boss deep in a dungeon with 2 hearts left and no fairies or potions? Or in Left 4 Dead, when you're black and white, 1 HP left, limping, and the safe room is within sight, but you hear a hunter?

I rarely get this feeling with most modern games that have regenerating health like Black Ops or Bad Company 2, because I know no matter how dangerous the situation seems, I can just sit behind a rock and fap for 5 seconds and I'll be okay.

The tension during this is ridiculous. It's worse if you hear a smoker though...

But yeah I hate how you can just duck behind cover for a few seconds then play like nothing happened.

Vagitarian
02-04-2011, 09:30 PM

There is no regen health on hardcore mode in BC2.

Pastier911
02-05-2011, 08:38 AM
nah. IMO it's kind of stupid. You can't get good kill streaks and makes it easier for low lvl players to kill you. Example, compare halo 2 and 3

mojo85
02-05-2011, 08:58 AM
MGS Snake eater FTW. Your hurt? Eat a snake or rat. Stabbed? Bandage yourself or slowly bleed out and you damn well better make sure you disinfect that wound first. Ahh wish I could play it again.

Ultrablack
02-05-2011, 10:02 AM
MGS Snake eater FTW. Your hurt? Eat a snake or rat. Stabbed? Bandage yourself or slowly bleed out and you damn well better make sure you disinfect that wound first. Ahh wish I could play it again.

Brb suturing a cut while fighting killer bees
Brb eating alligator meat

reyes12
02-05-2011, 10:23 AM
this is why I like games like Day of Defeat, you lose health, you don't get it back son.

we'll even go back in time; Goldeneye.

The most health you get back is Body Armor, and still your orange/red bar of health doesn't go up. You're ****ed either way

ChristmasFnatic
02-05-2011, 10:45 AM

This.

But anyway, depends on the game. I dont mind the health regen though, some games works great with it, esp. with good AI, when merely hiding anywhere wont cut it. And yes, less rage.

squirrell751
02-05-2011, 11:00 AM
counterstrike was the best man. knowing you had 29 health left and you had to save the hostages agaisnt 7 more guys was intense

genetics 83
02-05-2011, 11:03 AM
too easy to win this kind of game.