PDA

View Full Version : Good instructional for sighting in a gun?

Turbomunkey
01-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Nothing to do on a boring sunday so I might as well read. I will be sighting my troy flip up rear sight on my ar15 come spring so I need to learn to how to it, as i have never sighted a gun before.

Vids/articles/text+pics all good to me

thanks

mashir
01-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Attached a PDF I like for AR sighting. Hope it helps bro.

Turbomunkey
01-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Attached a PDF I like for AR sighting. Hope it helps bro.

are you only supposed to adjust left or right on the rear sight, and up or down on the front?

if thats the case that means that all my adjustment is going to take place on the front sight post then right?

NuggzTheNinja
01-09-2011, 02:10 PM
are you only supposed to adjust left or right on the rear sight, and up or down on the front?

if thats the case that means that all my adjustment is going to take place on the front sight post then right?

Traditionally, rear sight adjusts for windage, front sight adjusts for elevation. That's how it is on the A1 rifles.

My ARMS BUIS is the same way: rear = windage, front = elevation. I've never used the Troy, but I zero nearly all of my rifles for 50 meters because that'll get you close enough at 200. That is, unless I have a load/weapon that I understand completely.

For instance, 62 grain M855 out of a 14.5" barrel, 4x ACOG IDF reticle...

25m = -4 cm
45m = zeroed
100m = 7 cm
200m = 10 cm
250m = zeroed
300m = -20 cm

This is a load/combination that I understand completely. But for most purposes, zeroing at 50m will get you very close at 200 and 250, and minute-of-asshat out to 300.

BryantTheBear
01-09-2011, 02:23 PM
i zero mine at 50 yards. keeps you within 2" out to 250.

ie: 0 to 2" low under 50 yards, 0 to 2" high from 50 to 150, then 0 at 215, and 2" low at 250.

keep in mind m855 will drop faster than m193, and if youre using other ammo it will change things even more.

add a www at the front, i cant post links.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=328143

PancakeOfDoom
01-09-2011, 02:42 PM

if you are zeroing it in the first time you'll probably need to be adjusting both the front and rear sight.

Heiber
01-09-2011, 02:51 PM
start at 25 yards then go to 50 then 100

sometimes at 50 they will be so far off you wont be on the paper and you would waste ammo, so really start at 25 with atleast 2 shots, then 50 for 2, then 100 for like 5-7 shots and you should able to be dead on.

this is for a scope though.. never have done open sights but i think you should still start at 25

Tel0004
01-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Its really a piece of cake. Bring a larger piece of cardboard, so if it misses by a bit you can see it. Bincolars or a spotting scope are also a huge help.

If the shot hits low, then raise the front sight up.
If the shot hits high, move it down.

To move the front sight base, you can buy a sight tool, but you can also a bullet.

If the bullet is hitting too far to the right, move the rear sight to the left.
If the bullet hits too far to the left, move the sight to the right.

The most important thing is a steady sandbag to support the front (and rear if possible) of the rifle.

If you can't be consistant on your hits, you will never get it sighted in.

BryantTheBear
01-09-2011, 03:03 PM
start at 25 yards then go to 50 then 100

sometimes at 50 they will be so far off you wont be on the paper and you would waste ammo, so really start at 25 with atleast 2 shots, then 50 for 2, then 100 for like 5-7 shots and you should able to be dead on.

this is for a scope though.. never have done open sights but i think you should still start at 25

yep start close, also keep in mind your barrel heating up may change point of impact.

if this is a hunting gun you would want to let the barrel cool between shots

edit: also think about what kind of sight picture you want. you can go with a 6 o'clock hold (bullseye on top of front sight post like a pumpkin on a fencepost). or you could do a navy hold where you split the bullseye in half and poi is right at the top flat part of your sight post. just shooter preference but something to think about.

Turbomunkey
01-09-2011, 04:11 PM
tons of good posts thanks guys, repped where i could

so what im gathering is set the sight at 50 yards (the guide stated this as well) and then if i needed to engage a target out to 200 simply aim about 2'' higher and it would be on target?

also what to pick up for the range trip

front sight tool, bean bags for bench rest shooting, do i need a 5 round mag or what?

Tel0004
01-09-2011, 04:24 PM
tons of good posts thanks guys, repped where i could

so what im gathering is set the sight at 50 yards (the guide stated this as well) and then if i needed to engage a target out to 200 simply aim about 2'' higher and it would be on target?

also what to pick up for the range trip

front sight tool, bean bags for bench rest shooting, do i need a 5 round mag or what?

a 20 round mag will work fine. It just depends on how tall the front bag is, the design of your shooting bench, and how you hold it. I've never had problems with 20 round mags. I sighted in an aimpoint last week, and had a 30 round mag.

Also, throw a sharpie in your range bag. When you have a cease fire, mark the bullet holes, so its easier to tell which bullet holes are new.

A 50 yard zero is pretty close to a 225 yard zero (and good enough for government work at 200 yards.) At 100 yards the bullet will actually hit high.

The reason is the sights/scope are pointed in a downward direction relative to the barrel.
At 50 yards the bullet is rising relative to the sights, then it hits the peak at about 125 yards. This is really a moot point on iron sights. Sight it in for 50 yards, and just aim at your target up to 200 yards, and pull the trigger.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/xuhqpttxnv.jpg
http://www.box.net/shared/static/8xved8kfrm.jpg

Turbomunkey
01-09-2011, 07:22 PM
nice pics man thanks. man am i itching to shoot. winter sucks for us illinois folks. im try to get the indoor range this week with my buddy who coming in town for a court date

Tel0004
01-09-2011, 07:55 PM
nice pics man thanks. man am i itching to shoot. winter sucks for us illinois folks. im try to get the indoor range this week with my buddy who coming in town for a court date

Are the outdoor ranges closed?

Man up, put on some long johns, and go shooting. I went shooting 2 days ago, and had a blast. Shot my friends silenced P22, shot my CZ-452, and my AR.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8558/img00022201101071425.jpg

Plus, we were the only people at the range when we went. It made for a great experience. I could shoot 5 shots, then walk down range to see exactly where they were hitting. It helped me get a perfect 0 on my aimpoint. In the spring with a packed range, it would be very rude to call a cease fire after 3 minutes to walk down range again.

PS: A silencer makes a great hand warmer. If its starts to cool down, reattach it to the gun, and blast another 50 rounds through it.

Turbomunkey
01-09-2011, 08:49 PM
very few outdoor ranges in illinois, and they are all private owned. The one nearest me (hour plus away) closes in the winter

i live in the chicago suburbs