PDA

View Full Version : don't let the terrorists win

KrohDaddi
12-19-2010, 09:14 AM
thumbs up everyone who thinks its hardcore to stay up all night, then have to fix your furnace for three hours at dawn and still decide to work out even though it would have been a good excuse to not work out even if i was standing around waiting for a furnace repair guy instead of breaking my back doing it myself.

immuno
12-19-2010, 11:54 AM
thumbs up everyone who thinks its hardcore to stay up all night, then have to fix your furnace for three hours at dawn and still decide to work out even though it would have been a good excuse to not work out even if i was standing around waiting for a furnace repair guy instead of breaking my back doing it myself.

But now you have a sense of accomplishment AND the knowledge that you saved cash which can be allocated elsewhere!

KrohDaddi
12-19-2010, 12:29 PM
i've already had abundant cause for sense of accomplishment in my life
what i have a dearth of are the trophies and accolades
war stories i got

SP1966
12-19-2010, 12:51 PM
war stories i got
Get up early some Saturday morning and go garage sale shopping, trophies are abundantly available, and cheap!! As for accolades, I know *STEVE*'s fuktard response isn't exactly what you're looking for, but considering the source, I would say it's a positive!! ;) :D

Merry Christmas KD!!!

paolo59
12-19-2010, 12:57 PM
It is hard to imagine many things more 'terrifying' than me trying to fix a furnace! I'd probably blow myself up with half of the neighborhood! Now wouldn't that make everyone's Christmas merry and bright?

SP1966
12-19-2010, 01:03 PM
It is hard to imagine many things more 'terrifying' than me trying to fix a furnace! I'd probably blow myself up with half of the neighborhood! Now wouldn't that make everyone's Christmas merry and bright?
For some reason Christmas and the roasting of nuts comes to mind...

:eek:

paolo59
12-19-2010, 01:08 PM
For some reason Christmas and the roasting of nuts comes to mind...

:eek:

LMAO Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, and everybody's freakin' goose cooked to a cinder! Carbonized mayhem!!!

CATRACCOM
12-19-2010, 01:17 PM
We had a furnace with a picture of June Cleaver on it. It stopped working and we went to fix it. Nobody made parts for it anymore. It was snowing and we went out to the garage to fab up parts to make it work. Had to make my own leather washers. Got it working again. Nothing like sleeping in your own bed indoors and seeing your breath.

kademrulz
12-19-2010, 01:24 PM
My mom and I rented a place a few years back that had an old furnace. The landlord said he had just had it checked out and worked on so we didn't think anything about it. First time we turned it on it kept making a loud booming noise. We called the landlord and he said it was fine, that it was old and would make weird noises. This was our first gas furnace so we didn't think too much of it but then the booming was getting worse.

Having failed with the landlord we called MUD (gas company) and they sent out a technician. The first time it went boom with him there he was up the stairs faster than bullet and got us out and shut the gas off to the whole house. He was a little freaked out. Turns out the guy that had worked on the furnace before had adjusted the pilot up and never reset it. It was too high to ignite the gas flow so the whole bottom of the furnace was filling with gas before igniting. When it did it would go BOOM. The guy couldn't believe it had went for over a week without blowing up the house.

*STEVE*
12-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Get up early some Saturday morning and go garage sale shopping, trophies are abundantly available, and cheap!! As for accolades, I know *STEVE*'s fuktard response isn't exactly what you're looking for, but considering the source, I would say it's a positive!! ;) :D

Merry Christmas KD!!!

what the f*** is that supposed to mean ? considering the source ... ya ok ...

and thanks for draggin me into the tards thread too :rolleyes:

SP1966
12-19-2010, 02:12 PM
what the f*** is that supposed to mean ? considering the source ... ya ok ...
Considering the source, that's about as good as he's gonna get... :rolleyes:

SP1966
12-19-2010, 02:14 PM
and thanks for draggin me into the tards thread too :rolleyes:

Not even, you had to enter of your own free will to even know you were commented here! :rolleyes:

A bit touchy this morning are we?

*STEVE*
12-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Considering the source, that's about as good as he's gonna get... :rolleyes:

When I try to type out how I really feel about him it just gets turned into a bunch of "*****" lol

Not even, you had to enter of your own free will to even know you were commented here! :rolleyes:

A bit touchy this morning are we?

Im always touchy lol , its part of being named steve .... you should be aware of that fact :)

Bando
12-19-2010, 02:19 PM
My mom and I rented a place a few years back that had an old furnace. The landlord said he had just had it checked out and worked on so we didn't think anything about it. First time we turned it on it kept making a loud booming noise. We called the landlord and he said it was fine, that it was old and would make weird noises. This was our first gas furnace so we didn't think too much of it but then the booming was getting worse.

Having failed with the landlord we called MUD (gas company) and they sent out a technician. The first time it went boom with him there he was up the stairs faster than bullet and got us out and shut the gas off to the whole house. He was a little freaked out. Turns out the guy that had worked on the furnace before had adjusted the pilot up and never reset it. It was too high to ignite the gas flow so the whole bottom of the furnace was filling with gas before igniting. When it did it would go BOOM. The guy couldn't believe it had went for over a week without blowing up the house.

great story!!

I put a pellet stove in my dining room maybe 6 years ago, one of the smartest things I've ever done. Best part is that it's so simple I can tear it down and fix it (and have) myself.

paolo59
12-19-2010, 02:24 PM
great story!!

I put a pellet stove in my dining room maybe 6 years ago, one of the smartest things I've ever done. Best part is that's it's so simple I can tear it down and fix it (and have) myself.

Those suckers can put off the heat!

kademrulz
12-19-2010, 02:29 PM
great story!!

I put a pellet stove in my dining room maybe 6 years ago, one of the smartest things I've ever done. Best part is that's it's so simple I can tear it down and fix it (and have) myself.

Those suckers can put off the heat!

I have wanted an electric fireplace for some time. Not so much for the heat but for how it looks, although the heat would be nice. Matt says I would burn the house down yet he has one down stairs. Grrrrr. If I wind up with own place I am so getting one!

Depending on where I live a pellet stove would be great when the kids get older. I've always loved the country and would love to move back out that way. An old farm house fixer upper would be ideal :)

KrohDaddi
12-19-2010, 03:09 PM
one that burned corn-cobs would be cool just on the sound of it

i had to fabricate parts
5 AM Sunday drill-press in the basement of townhouse

last house had one so old that the guy from the company that made them didn't know they had made them that far back
they had no records
it made a big 'wumph' like a match dropped in a pond of kerosene
it had weightlifting diagrams decopaged on it from the 50's

noisy and used up a lot of energy on nothing

Corbi
12-19-2010, 03:16 PM

House near work blew up a few weeks ago, a supposed licensed furnace installer had just put a new one in a week prior. 2 people got out alive but one other died. And when I say blew up I mean the house is totally gone, there is nothing left but a foundation.

Bando
12-19-2010, 03:18 PM
one that burned corn-cobs would be cool just on the sound of it

noisy and used up a lot of energy on nothing

^^ Sounds like my furnace, hence the pellet stove. In my area you can get ones that burn corn or pellets. This is a clean steady cheap heat and I'm big on renewable energy so win - win.

hochspeyer
12-19-2010, 04:02 PM
I thankfully have no furnace stories to contribute.

righter
12-19-2010, 04:26 PM
I have wanted an electric fireplace for some time. Not so much for the heat but for how it looks, although the heat would be nice. Matt says I would burn the house down yet he has one down stairs. Grrrrr. If I wind up with own place I am so getting one!

I have an electric fireplace in my study. I like it. Has neat fake flames and warms up good! Picked it up at Lowe's.

<-- ♥'s Lowe's!

KrohDaddi
12-19-2010, 06:05 PM
electric heat is very drying to the skin and mucous membranes, leaving sinuses and respiratory passages susceptible to irritation and infection

righter
12-19-2010, 06:09 PM
electric heat is very drying to the skin and mucous membranes, leaving sinuses and respiratory passages susceptible to irritation and infection

I ♥ my electric fireplace!! :p

OTH51
12-19-2010, 06:09 PM
war stories i got

I'm sure the Wizard has a testimonial or medal for you in his bag.

A commendation for bravery in fighting wicked furnaces

kineticforce
12-19-2010, 06:23 PM
I ♥ my electric fireplace!! :p

OH HAI AGAIN....where you from ?

kademrulz
12-19-2010, 06:29 PM
I have an electric fireplace in my study. I like it. Has neat fake flames and warms up good! Picked it up at Lowe's.

<-- ♥'s Lowe's!

<--- worked over 2 yrs at Lowe's.
<--- Does NOT ♥ Lowe's but wants the fireplace anyways :D they are getting better and better every year too. I just want it for the flames LOL

KrohDaddi
12-19-2010, 06:44 PM
no sleep
fixed furnace
worked out two sessions
finished reading 40 pages of novel
read three short stories
going to start another novel at bedtime
haven't done any Christmas shopping yet
and i ain't even worried
drink coffee and tea all day long
fall asleep like a kitten
the secret?
i don't really hate anyone

we just got Lowes here a year or two ago
it has the best selection of everything
but i have to go through gangland murder-central to get there from here
i can walk to Home Depot and Rona (they're on the outskirts of murder)

righter
12-19-2010, 07:19 PM
<--- worked over 2 yrs at Lowe's.
<--- Does NOT ♥ Lowe's but wants the fireplace anyways :D they are getting better and better every year too. I just want it for the flames LOL

The flamez! ;)

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/righter4/firplc.jpg

righter
12-19-2010, 07:21 PM
OH HAI AGAIN....where you from ?

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/righter4/emotioncon-hello.gif

where YOU from?

Bando
12-19-2010, 07:25 PM
but i have to go through gangland murder-central to get there from here
i can walk to Home Depot and Rona (they're on the outskirts of murder)

That's fear talking. I remember that.

Quit talking like that.

crupiea
12-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Whats a furnace?

I have some sort of heating mechanism in a closet type thing in my house but I havent used it in years. I dont even know if it works or not.

I do own some wool socks though.

KrohDaddi
12-21-2010, 03:02 AM
Whats a furnace?

I have some sort of heating mechanism in a closet type thing in my house but I havent used it in years. I dont even know if it works or not.

I do own some wool socks though.

who is Jack Kerouac?

just kidding.

my uncle went AWOL from the Canadian Army when he was 15(lied to get in) and hitch-hiked from Nova Scotia to San Francisco in the sixties

who does sh!t like that anymore?

JolietKev
12-21-2010, 04:23 AM
During the first year of our marriage, my wife and I lived in a small house that had an old stand up furnace that went out in the middle of winter. My grandmother had recently died so we went to her house (which was right next door). There we were, in the bed she died in a week previously with our cat and our parrot. The parrot cage was too big to move so we spent the first night without it. Needless to say it was a rough night but Tinker made it through OK.

discdoggie
12-21-2010, 05:13 AM
who is Jack Kerouac?

just kidding.

my uncle went AWOL from the Canadian Army when he was 15(lied to get in) and hitch-hiked from Nova Scotia to San Francisco in the sixties

who does sh!t like that anymore?

I did. Except for the Canadian Army part. And I was 17, not 15. :) Should my son get bitten by the bug of wanderlust as well, he'll have my full support.

beachguy498
12-21-2010, 05:20 AM
Gotta admire someone that can keep the heat going. With my old oil burner (which I installed myself) I could change a filter and nozzle in 10 minutes flat and not get dirty. Had all the tools and parts right there and a box of latex gloves. Over the years I had to change flow control valves, the pump and motor.

Finally got sick of dealing with the oil and had it switched over to gas last year. Everything new from A-Z. I have a gas detector as part of my alarm system and real pros did the install job. It did crap out on my (after the warranty was up...) and had to have a $250 part changed. With that, all I'm able to do is re-light the pilot if it goes out.

BG

cozener
12-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Im always touchy lol , its part of being named steve .... you should be aware of that fact :) Yes, I can see how carrying that name would be much like living with an open wound...not as bad as Bart or Cliff...but still.

IR45N
12-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Probably the biggest hype, most $$$400 (at the time a few years ago) and biggest piece of J*U*N*K; the eden pure heater. To their credit, getting a refund wasn't a hassle.

KrohDaddi
12-22-2010, 12:58 AM
0xQtEmISMhQ

remember this?
this is funny
it's a miracle! you plug it in and heat comes out
all in an attractive wooden box with a TV screen playing a loop of flames continuously
and the Amish provide it free as a public service
all they ask is that you pay 600 dollars for a wooden box built no better than a packing crate to cover the labour of putting the electric heater inside of it.

hochspeyer
12-22-2010, 01:34 AM
0xQtEmISMhQ

remember this?
this is funny
it's a miracle! you plug it in and heat comes out
all in an attractive wooden box with a TV screen playing a loop of flames continuously
and the Amish provide it free as a public service
all they ask is that you pay 600 dollars for a wooden box built no better than a packing crate to cover the labour of putting the electric heater inside of it.

I just saw that as last week. I'm wondering how they filmed in the Amish "factory" as the Amish don't have electricity.

KrohDaddi
12-22-2010, 02:09 AM
I just saw that as last week. I'm wondering how they filmed in the Amish "factory" as the Amish don't have electricity.

can clearly see at one point that the box is made of veneered plywood

as an aside: Mennonites (which include Amish) do not all subscribe to one set of rules for community life. each population cluster works out on their own how much technology they are willing to adopt and agree to adhere to those limits or not as they choose together.

some have have cell-phones; some drive cars; some have electricity; some have land-phones but they don't come in the house: you have to go out to a little booth in the yard to use it.

one time i was driving through Mennonite country and came across a surreal scene like out of an episode of the X-files. dozens of nearly-identical black sedans looking like the FBI had descended in a field in the countryside to investigate animal disappearances or something
it was a Mennonite worship service. this particular group had decided to allow cars but not proud cars. black is the least-proud colour to them: that's why their buggies and most of their outer garments and hats are black.

hochspeyer
12-22-2010, 03:18 AM
can clearly see at one point that the box is made of veneered plywood

as an aside: Mennonites (which include Amish) do not all subscribe to one set of rules for community life. each population cluster works out on their own how much technology they are willing to adopt and agree to adhere to those limits or not as they choose together.

some have have cell-phones; some drive cars; some have electricity; some have land-phones but they don't come in the house: you have to go out to a little booth in the yard to use it.

one time i was driving through Mennonite country and came across a surreal scene like out of an episode of the X-files. dozens of nearly-identical black sedans looking like the FBI had descended in a field in the countryside to investigate animal disappearances or something
it was a Mennonite worship service. this particular group had decided to allow cars but not proud cars. black is the least-proud colour to them: that's why their buggies and most of their outer garments and hats are black.

They probably are disdainful of the usage of the letter "u" as well (except in Canada). *Not slamming Mennonites or Canadians. Not that Mennonites would be online.

KrohDaddi
12-22-2010, 03:31 AM
They probably are disdainful of the usage of the letter "u" as well (except in Canada). *Not slamming Mennonites or Canadians. Not that Mennonites would be online.

some are

KrohDaddi
01-02-2011, 12:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/15KBE.jpg

furnace broke down again
third time
once last year twice this
always seems to be Sunday early hours
and i'm always awake to hear the motor break free from the mounts and come to screeching halt

here's what i did this time
mounting flanges keep snapping off pinch-ring

Camel_Toad
01-02-2011, 12:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/15KBE.jpg

That looks pretty wicked, but if I die without ever having to know what that is or how it functions, that's fine by me.

rab71
01-02-2011, 01:17 PM
House near work blew up a few weeks ago, a supposed licensed furnace installer had just put a new one in a week prior. 2 people got out alive but one other died. And when I say blew up I mean the house is totally gone, there is nothing left but a foundation.

Wait... You work in Sun Prairie? How close are we? I'm on the west side.

*STEVE*
01-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Yes, I can see how carrying that name would be much like living with an open wound...not as bad as Bart or Cliff...but still.

ya but its still not as bad as being named somethin really ghey like "bradley" or "brad"

Corbi
01-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Wait... You work in Sun Prairie? How close are we? I'm on the west side.

Actually work in Deforest, my boss and a couple co-workers live within a mile of the now blown up house.

I get out to Middleton a pretty regular basis.

beachguy498
01-02-2011, 07:38 PM

Usually the result of a massive gas leak inside the house. Any good installer checks all the pipe fittings before he signs off on the job.

There was one that blew in the middle of the night years ago by me. I had to pass it on the way to work and they had the street closed off, firetrucks everywhere. There were pieces of brick thrown a good 200 yards by the blast and most of the house was in the street.

BG