PDA

View Full Version : Where science meets Buddhism (mind blown possible)

d1ez3
10-13-2010, 04:49 PM
qj_i7YqDwJA

ZlmrHMBW36w

watch both parts, most of the stuff I already knew but it is still an awesome mindblowing video especially at the end about reality.

chevy72blu
10-13-2010, 05:08 PM
will watch

Ces.
10-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Great video. There's lots of similarities to this video and a book I just recently read.

d1ez3
10-13-2010, 09:04 PM
What was the book you just read?

R.Cranium
10-13-2010, 10:15 PM
suggested reading

the universe in a single atom by the dalai lama

talks about the similiarities that i'm sure these videos touch on. will watch videos tomorrow. but read the book if you're interested, it's really good

CHCubs
10-14-2010, 01:24 AM
crazy vids

Fennesz
10-14-2010, 04:13 AM
lol @ stating that the physics community has 'come to accept that human consciousness itself alters a particles behaviour' or whatever it was he said

STRONG misunderstanding of wave-particle duality / superposition / whatever hes getting at

still an interesting vid though

wildphucker
10-14-2010, 05:05 AM
sigh....

I knew I was gonna get deepaked when I hovered over thread, but watched anywya, got deepaked, and somehow I'm sort of surprised.

d1ez3
10-15-2010, 05:07 PM
anyone else

F.Liu
10-17-2010, 07:00 PM
The guys who made this vid have no idea what they're talking about.

I seriously cringed when they tried to explain quantum entanglement and the double experiment with basketballs and baseballs. Both of these concepts work only with electrons, and just by using math one can prove that it is IMPOSSIBLE to do a double slit experiment with baseballs due to its mass (the required velocity would be many times the speed of light).

It's an interesting concept, but its pretty obvious it was geared towards less educated people. (e.g. assuming people don't know what velocity means so they put in "speed") somewhere in part 2.

mulletman444
10-17-2010, 08:13 PM
The guys who made this vid have no idea what they're talking about.

I seriously cringed when they tried to explain quantum entanglement and the double experiment with basketballs and baseballs. Both of these concepts work only with electrons, and just by using math one can prove that it is IMPOSSIBLE to do a double slit experiment with baseballs due to its mass (the required velocity would be many times the speed of light).

It's an interesting concept, but its pretty obvious it was geared towards less educated people. (e.g. assuming people don't know what velocity means so they put in "speed") somewhere in part 2.

Strive6
10-17-2010, 09:00 PM
suggested reading

the universe in a single atom by the dalai lama

talks about the similiarities that i'm sure these videos touch on. will watch videos tomorrow. but read the book if you're interested, it's really good

holy **** I came in this thread to recommend this book, srs

also, "The Tao of Physics" is good

I started thinking about the similarities when taking an asian philosophy class at the same time as physics... came to find there were already a bunch of books written about the topic. mind was blown.

Advaita hinduism, buddhism, and taoism are all similar in this regard

F.Liu
10-17-2010, 09:15 PM

Your point?

I have enough knowledge of physics to understand all the general concept presented in that video. Do you?

wildphucker
10-17-2010, 10:30 PM
consciousness doesnt create reality, sorry.

waveforms dont collapse because you watch them, its coz of photons

Errorist
10-17-2010, 10:36 PM
one can prove that it is IMPOSSIBLE to do a double slit experiment with baseballs due to its mass (the required velocity would be many times the speed of light).
Contradiction.

obmas
10-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Can't watch the video. The guy's voice/narration is annoying as hell.

mulletman444
10-18-2010, 12:39 AM

Your point?

I have enough knowledge of physics to understand all the general concept presented in that video. Do you?

i honestly don't care whether you're right or wrong, i'm just loling at that fact that you expect anyone to take you seriously. and i cracked up at "geared towards less educated people" as if your highschool diploma makes you anything special

F.Liu
10-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Contradiction.

Wavelength = Planck's Constant / Momentum

Sub in numbers and you'll see that unless you have a baseball moving at 10^25 m/s, you won't have any wavelength close to that of an electron. This isn't accounting for the size of the baseball, a surface to project the baseballs onto. I hope thats what you were getting at because simply saying "contradiction" is ambiguous.

i honestly don't care whether you're right or wrong, i'm just loling at that fact that you expect anyone to take you seriously. and i cracked up at "geared towards less educated people" as if your highschool diploma makes you anything special

I'm an engineering student... I never said my HS diploma makes me special, and how do you know I even have an HS diploma?

d1ez3
10-18-2010, 09:52 AM
He said the baseball slit experiment was theoretical to visualize it better, obviously you cannot do that experiment with baseballs.

AntiGlobalist
10-18-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm an engineering student... I never said my HS diploma makes me special, and how do you know I even have an HS diploma?

Oh good, so the psychology 101, calc 1, and english 1000 make you a subject matter expert eh?

Errorist
10-18-2010, 04:39 PM
I hope thats what you were getting at because simply saying "contradiction" is ambiguous.
Contradiction as in you said "by using math one can prove that it is IMPOSSIBLE," but then stated "the required velocity would be many times the speed of light." So, you said "It's impossible, but possible at a certain velocity." So you proved yourself wrong.

Lol @ your whole attitude in this thread.

http://www.kahmeal.com/files/monocle.png

If you were half way intelligent, you would realize the more you know, the less you know. Get off your ****ing high horse. Lol @ freshmen engineering. I'm in my junior year double majoring in engineering and chemistry, and freshmen + sophomore years aren't ****. I haven't even had upper division classes yet and it's already getting harder.

F.Liu
10-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Contradiction as in you said "by using math one can prove that it is IMPOSSIBLE," but then stated "the required velocity would be many times the speed of light." So, you said "It's impossible, but possible at a certain velocity." So you proved yourself wrong.

Lol @ your whole attitude in this thread.

http://www.kahmeal.com/files/monocle.png

If you were half way intelligent, you would realize the more you know, the less you know. Get off your ****ing high horse. Lol @ freshmen engineering. I'm in my junior year double majoring in engineering and chemistry, and freshmen + sophomore years aren't ****. I haven't even had upper division classes yet and it's already getting harder.

You didn't even understand what I said. Let me rephrase it: The required velocity is many times the speed of light, hence, it is impossible.

And I may have been arrogant initially, but can you honestly say that the vid is "good" with the education you have? The analogies are grossly exaggerated to the point where if someone tries to talk about it at a dinner table with a scientist there, the scientist would facepalm immediately.

And what I was trying to say was, even though I'm only a high school graduate, I could see that there were major flaws in the video. Don't say you couldn't see them... again i apologize for my attitude, i did not intend it.