PDA

View Full Version : How much carbs do you guys consume pre-workout in contest prep?

JOSEF RAKICH
10-03-2010, 01:50 AM
I know every one will be different and there is no "correct" answer, but just interested.

Devils
10-03-2010, 02:04 AM
You mean in a shake or meal? how far pre-workout, 1 hour, 2?

I try to have had a meal at least 1-2 hours before working out, usually low to moderate carbs, I think it's better to have more carbs post workout than before.

So anywhere between 0 and 50g I guess.

AustrianOakJr
10-03-2010, 06:12 AM

I try to have had a meal at least 1-2 hours before working out, usually low to moderate carbs, I think it's better to have more carbs post workout than before.

I would disagree. I believe pre-workout is THE most important place to put your carbs. This is what keeps your workouts as intense as possible. Stimulus is the biggest factor in muscle retention. Carbs post workout are important for glycogen fill, but this is not necessary for muscle repair.

To answer the OP, this number is going to vary as my diet goes along. I generally have a large meal two (or so) hours prior and one smaller carb meal within a half hour before training. So, at this point in my diet (just starting) my larger meal has 50-60g of carbs. The smaller meal has 30g of carbs. The further I go along, the more carbs are reduced in my two hour prior meal (which is lunch). So that might get reduced to 10-20g of carbs, but my immediate pre workout never really goes below that 30g.

Zarazen
10-03-2010, 06:31 AM
25-30% of my daily total

Cumulonimbus
10-03-2010, 06:37 AM
About 27g of carbs 1 hour before training. Dieting sucks.

ChristianBBer
10-03-2010, 07:01 AM
I had an AMAZING 10 week mock prep and did the following

If I were to eat 180g of carbs a day,

I would eat around 80g pre workout and 80g post

Nealy 90% of my carbs were around my workout. I had the rationale that the remaining day with low blood glucose levels it'll enhance the fat burning hormone.

And it worked very well.

I did crash hard at night though

chaosmatt
10-03-2010, 07:06 AM
the amount of and type of carbs taken in before training makes little difference to your workout, consume glucose through your workout and that will make a difference. A study done by Thomas et al showed that the type of carbs made a small difference in favour of eating low GI foods before training enables better endurance. Also a study done by Burke et al Showed that consumption of carbs during exercise seems to affect long term performance. So the pre WO meal makes little difference if you are consuming carbs during your session.

Just thought i'd share that. With all of that said i try and just get a meal in at the moment depends which meal falls before training as i work shifts.

TrainOfThought
10-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Im eating 70 grams of carbs from sweet potats now pre-workout

Withoutreason
10-03-2010, 07:47 AM

Nealy 90% of my carbs were around my workout. I had the rationale that the remaining day with low blood glucose levels it'll enhance the fat burning hormone.

And it worked very well.

I might try this out then, I've always had a heavy carb meal in the morning just cause I like having oats for breakfast (80g of carbs)

OoFaP
10-03-2010, 08:13 AM

And it worked very well.

I did the same thing...and by 8:00 pm I couldn't move or keep my eyes open lol.

shawn3087
10-03-2010, 08:20 AM
25-30% of my daily total

this

str8flexed
10-03-2010, 08:23 AM
depends on what phase of prep and how restricted I am. As carbs go down, the % i consume pre/post goes up proportionately

for example when I was at 200g of carbs per day I was consuming about 25-30% pre & post workout, so 50-60g. But when I was down to 100g/day I was consuming 35-40g pre & post workout. So less in total, but more proportionate to my other meals (35-40%)

JOSEF RAKICH
10-03-2010, 12:47 PM

What ever you shove into your pie hole before you lift weights, weather its a shake or meal.

depends on what phase of prep and how restricted I am. As carbs go down, the % i consume pre/post goes up proportionately

for example when I was at 200g of carbs per day I was consuming about 25-30% pre & post workout, so 50-60g. But when I was down to 100g/day I was consuming 35-40g pre & post workout. So less in total, but more proportionate to my other meals (35-40%)

Layne how often would you re-feed? Once a week?

ErickStevens
10-03-2010, 01:37 PM
5 Normal Days (105g cho): Pre / Post - 35g
2 Refeed Days (195g cho): Pre / Post - 60g

str8flexed
10-03-2010, 02:44 PM
What ever you shove into your pie hole before you lift weights, weather its a shake or meal.

Layne how often would you re-feed? Once a week?

i prefer moderate refeeds every 3-4 days

AustrianOakJr
10-03-2010, 02:48 PM
the amount of and type of carbs taken in before training makes little difference to your workout, consume glucose through your workout and that will make a difference. A study done by Thomas et al showed that the type of carbs made a small difference in favour of eating low GI foods before training enables better endurance. Also a study done by Burke et al Showed that consumption of carbs during exercise seems to affect long term performance. So the pre WO meal makes little difference if you are consuming carbs during your session.

Just thought i'd share that. With all of that said i try and just get a meal in at the moment depends which meal falls before training as i work shifts.

I've done it both ways and I think it will effect different people at different levels of lean-ness in differing ways. Personally, I have always gotten the most boost by taking in a low GI carb prior to training and sipping on BCAA's while training. I have done gatorade or carb drinks while training and personally find them hard to stomach if my training is very intense (like on a leg day).

SupaaJ
10-03-2010, 03:44 PM
150 in my pre-meal, 200 in my post.
Yes, I'm dieting. :D

JOSEF RAKICH
10-05-2010, 02:13 AM
i prefer moderate refeeds every 3-4 days

How much extra carbs do you consume on your re-feed days?

150 in my pre-meal, 200 in my post.
Yes, I'm dieting. :D

Lol wut?

AustrianOakJr
10-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Lol wut?

It helps to include that those are his only meals of the day.

str8flexed
10-05-2010, 05:55 AM
How much extra carbs do you consume on your re-feed days?

Lol wut?

anywhere from 50-100% more over my normal dieting levels, just depends on various factors

SupaaJ
10-05-2010, 10:13 AM
It helps to include that those are his only meals of the day.

Exactly.
I don't know too many folks eating 350 carbs and losing fat 15 weeks into dieting, terrible.....that IF'ing.

AustrianOakJr
10-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Exactly.
I don't know too many folks eating 350 carbs and losing fat 15 weeks into dieting, terrible.....that IF'ing.

Well, I wouldnt say that you cant lose fat at 350g of carbs any other way......granted I havent been dieting for 15 weeks, but my carbs are at 250-300g (415 on refeeds) and im losing 2 lbs a week with zero cardio. And I know guys on this forum that eat far more than that when they are dieting.....its just an individual metabolism thing. There is no magical diet.

mrusa85
10-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Zero carbs. I train in the morning on an empty stomach and a fatburner. I start sipping a SizeOn precontest drink about 1/3 of the way through the workout. Plenty of energy. Then I eat all my carbs later in the day between 5-7 pm. Carb cycling is done with a few cheat meals and refeeds thrown in. Easiest diet I've ever done without worrying about all the pre and post grams of this and that. Great results too. Down 15 pounds in about 6 weeks. Retaining size and energy. Mood is fine.

Agostage
10-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I have a bout 25g in the morning then split the rest pre and post.

SupaaJ
10-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Well, I wouldnt say that you cant lose fat at 350g of carbs any other way......granted I havent been dieting for 15 weeks, but my carbs are at 250-300g (415 on refeeds) and im losing 2 lbs a week with zero cardio. And I know guys on this forum that eat far more than that when they are dieting.....its just an individual metabolism thing. There is no magical diet.

That's pretty impressive at your (read, my age). :D

I don't by any means think intermittent fasting is magic. In fact the reason I like it most is sort of embarrassing. I've been obsessed with food since I was 17. IF'ing allows me to eat and forget about it. Sure I still count my macros and plan meals, but eating 4+ meals a day has me always craving or thinking about something.

Plus, even though the science doesn't support it, there sure seems to be something going on as far as how rapidly IF'ing drops bodyfat. Something physiologically is going on during that fast....be it stubborn fat receptors being used for energy or whatever. Again, this is just from what I've noticed with myself and some of the other guys that have gotten even leaner than I have. YMMV.

AustrianOakJr
10-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Yes, this is the highest my carbs have ever been on a cut. I think I am finally realizing the importance of chopping them slowly and using that glucose to keep the metabolism revving. But its only been a little less than a month.....so we shall see.

There are a lot of threads going on about IF, and I cant say its not interesting to me. BUt I would try it on a bulk before I did tried cutting. Id be SCARED of my musculs falling off. :)