PDA

View Full Version : WTF happened to me?!

FemmeFatale28
09-01-2010, 05:54 AM
I run 9 miles a week at minimum and I have for months due to being in the Army. Friday we had a little 3 mile run, no problems.. Ive ran up to 6miles without a problem including hills thrown in.

This weekend was my daughters birthday and it was a southern food carbtastic free for all. For two days I ate minimal protein and alot of fat and carbs. I didnt count anything because 1. I didnt want/plan to 2. I decided I was ready to continue with my cut that I was taking a break from and I was gonna start that on this past Monday, which I did. Anyway..

I ate enough carbs to wear I was SOO seriously bloated like I have never been before. Ever. Monday morning rolls around we are going for a run and like .5 a mile into it my shins are on FIRE, I mean to the point where I can hardley walk, much less run and in my right shin a knot developed that you could see through the skin. I was like WTF. I wasnt too alarmed because when I first started running or if i havent ran in a LOOOONG time this happens to me but never after a few days. So I was like ok.. I am dehydrated. I drank a gallon of water on Monday.. held most of it because I didnt pee that much. Yesterday I started letting go of some water finally, tried to run a mile, same thing happened. Today bloat has gone down more, and today I had to do a two mile run and I made it through but it still hurt only not as bad. Its like each day as my bloat goes down my shins get better but I wanna know what made this happen? You would think the excess glycogen/water would have helped not hindered? I decided to post here because I couldnt figure out what section it belonged in and I value the opinions and knowledge here. So I am looking for insight.

Recap :

- ate a bazillion carbs, swoll up like stay puft
- I run alot after carb fest shins are acting crazy when I run
- as bloat goes away shins are getting better
- I want to understand the physiology of this
- you guys/gals rock and keep the brosh*t to a minimum :)

Barn01
09-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Glycogen super compensation is a funny thing after being carb depleted for a while. When you make a step change like that in your diet your body reacts. I recall the first time I did this my muscles actually hurt as in felt like they were being ripped apart and that was without working out. Just the expansion alone was very painful. So then try and add stress to it .. as in your running, and there's no doubt that you could easily cramp and be in pain. This is another reason a lot of people will cramp up on stage. If you don't time your carb up right and warm up before stage right, then you may get a muscle lock/cramp while posing.

So now your body is adjusting to that step change and the super compensation is going down to normal levels. That's why it's getting easier to deal with. It usually lasts for a few days.

rwsmith3623
09-01-2010, 06:24 AM
hottest female in the army/10

AustrianOakJr
09-01-2010, 06:32 AM
I would be willing to bet it was due to the sodium you consumed with all of that food. Water follows the sodium and if you had a crap ton more sodium than your body is used to it will hold it interstitially which can also lead to cramping and bloating. After my first contest of this past season, I went out to eat at a chinese restaurant and I ended up in severe cramps and extreme pain on the floor of the restaurants.....I literally couldnt stand up. Made for quite the scene. But the point is that large amounts of excess sodium when your body isnt used to handling that much sodium can cause these issues.

fltallpaul
09-01-2010, 06:44 AM
I think the shin issue would be related to the super carb up causing one crazy pump in your shins when you started running. I often get painful pumps when I am really carbed up...but then I don't have to run another 5 miles, lol.

That muscle on the front of the leg is small but I know it bothers me from time to time when playing basketball and volleyball, it does a lot of work with ankle flexion(is that a word)?

Cumulonimbus
09-01-2010, 08:08 AM

x2 lol

surfergirl36
09-01-2010, 08:13 AM
I would be willing to bet it was due to the sodium you consumed with all of that food. Water follows the sodium and if you had a crap ton more sodium than your body is used to it will hold it interstitially which can also lead to cramping and bloating. After my first contest of this past season, I went out to eat at a chinese restaurant and I ended up in severe cramps and extreme pain on the floor of the restaurants.....I literally couldnt stand up. Made for quite the scene. But the point is that large amounts of excess sodium when your body isnt used to handling that much sodium can cause these issues.

I had a pretty similar experience after my first contest, although I managed to get home before I had the pain on the floor episode. ;) I think it was a combination of the sodium and the carbs and the stuffing myself.

Hang in there girl. Hope you are back to normal soon! :)

scoobysnacks
09-01-2010, 08:26 AM
I think the shin issue would be related to the super carb up causing one crazy pump in your shins when you started running. I often get painful pumps when I am really carbed up...but then I don't have to run another 5 miles, lol.

That muscle on the front of the leg is small but I know it bothers me from time to time when playing basketball and volleyball, it does a lot of work with ankle flexion(is that a word)?

I suffered from shin splints all my life, after my carb-ups, and mine go up to 1300 over the day, my shins will hurt just doing my liss cardio around the neighborhood, and its definitely due to the pump. I surmise its some sort of imbalance with me that is amplified when pumped up..I also have flat feet which compounded the issue, but its definitely the pump you are getting from the full muscle bellies.

DavyGrolton
09-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Sounds like glycogen supercompensation and the inherent severe water retention.

FemmeFatale28
09-01-2010, 09:33 AM

x2 lol

Ha! Thanks... and judging by the fact you refer to me as a "female" and your sig I would assume you are also in the military :) Im actually joined from the Charlotte NC MEPS. BTW, it was put in my monthly consuling that while my motivation and dedication to PT is admirable I need to not "over do it" and that I need to (and I quote) " Baby your shins" Geez. I know it was all in my nutrition but they want to believe because I go to the gym (in addition to morning PT) and Ive leaned out so much that I am "over doing it"

Glycogen super compensation is a funny thing after being carb depleted for a while. When you make a step change like that in your diet your body reacts. I recall the first time I did this my muscles actually hurt as in felt like they were being ripped apart and that was without working out. Just the expansion alone was very painful. So then try and add stress to it .. as in your running, and there's no doubt that you could easily cramp and be in pain. This is another reason a lot of people will cramp up on stage. If you don't time your carb up right and warm up before stage right, then you may get a muscle lock/cramp while posing.

So now your body is adjusting to that step change and the super compensation is going down to normal levels. That's why it's getting easier to deal with. It usually lasts for a few days.

^^ This^^ and the following statements makes perfect sense.. seriously feels like the muscle is ripping. The first day (Monday) it brought me to tears, Today it sucked but I still ran 16:25 with bulging shins so it was tolerable just not ideal as it slowed me down. This really makes me feel better because I have a PT test on the 8th and I cannot afford this type of behavior from my shins. If I had known THEN what I know NOW I would have NEVER eatten so much. It was fun at the time but not worth the yuck look/feeling or the pain. No more super carbs for this girl thats for damn sure. I am more sore all over my body from training this week then I have been since I started training. I attributed it all to changing my exercises up but now I believe there is more to it. Funny part is, my shins, after they calm down, are not sore at all.

rwsmith3623
09-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Ha! Thanks... and judging by the fact you refer to me as a "female" and your sig I would assume you are also in the military :) Im actually joined from the Charlotte NC MEPS. BTW, it was put in my monthly consuling that while my motivation and dedication to PT is admirable I need to not "over do it" and that I need to (and I quote) " Baby your shins" Geez. I know it was all in my nutrition but they want to believe because I go to the gym (in addition to morning PT) and Ive leaned out so much that I am "over doing it"

^^ This^^ and the following statements makes perfect sense.. seriously feels like the muscle is ripping. The first day (Monday) it brought me to tears, Today it sucked but I still ran 16:25 with bulging shins so it was tolerable just not ideal as it slowed me down. This really makes me feel better because I have a PT test on the 8th and I cannot afford this type of behavior from my shins. If I had known THEN what I know NOW I would have NEVER eatten so much. It was fun at the time but not worth the yuck look/feeling or the pain. No more super carbs for this girl thats for damn sure. I am more sore all over my body from training this week then I have been since I started training. I attributed it all to changing my exercises up but now I believe there is more to it. Funny part is, my shins, after they calm down, are not sore at all.

yupp i sure am. im a corpsman attached to the marines. so are you active duty? and if so where are you stationed? how many years in? rank? haha i know a million questions, just kinda curious.

FemmeFatale28
09-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Just want to report that exactly 5 days after losing my fking mind with the carbs that I am back to my normal weight.. ( ok.. a half a pound higher) but the outline of my abs are back ( which is all ive had anyways) and I ran 3 miles this morning.. no shin knots. Thanks for the wisdom that kept me calm this week. I srsly dont know what I would do with out some of the ppl here! Makes me emotional sometimes.. I get all warm and fuzzy. ( In a "clean" way of course bahaha)

DanTheManB
09-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Just want to report that exactly 5 days after losing my fking mind with the carbs that I am back to my normal weight.. ( ok.. a half a pound higher) but the outline of my abs are back ( which is all ive had anyways) and I ran 3 miles this morning.. no shin knots. Thanks for the wisdom that kept me calm this week. I srsly dont know what I would do with out some of the ppl here! Makes me emotional sometimes.. I get all warm and fuzzy. ( In a "clean" way of course bahaha)

What the...I don't even...

FemmeFatale28
09-03-2010, 01:37 PM
I know right?

No Davy. You dont. What was he implying?

FemmeFatale28
09-03-2010, 01:38 PM
What the...I don't even...

are 'we' unclear about something?

DanTheManB
09-03-2010, 03:30 PM
are 'we' unclear about something?

You people are just sometimes riDONKulous

DanTheManB
09-03-2010, 03:45 PM
looking pretty fat in your new avi man

haha you expected something funny didn't you?

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/Takorax/trollface.jpg

I know, right?

cptdgraham
09-03-2010, 03:50 PM
it does a lot of work with ankle flexion(is that a word)?

yes thats a word, actually its technically called dorsiflexion, but ya its the same thing.

OP - Looks like you got some great nutritional advice on what might be causing your problems. How are you joints though? with running that much that can be really hard on them...only because running, actually jogging, is one of the worst things you can do for your body (Joints of course, not cardiovascularly)

FemmeFatale28
09-03-2010, 05:45 PM
You people are just sometimes riDONKulous

Im not sure which group of 'you people' I fall under butttt I was just coming back to say thanks to the folks that let me know what was going on with my body. I dont see at all where I was being "riDONKulous" its not like I was whining about eating so much because I did it on purpose. It wasnt some mindless binge that I now regret. What I regret is that it affected me athletically and that I am *not* cool with. I knew that I would lose the water and I knew that the weekend and the crazy as shin pain had to be related so I was asking about the physiologics behind it. So again.. I dont see where I was being ridiculous.

yes thats a word, actually its technically called dorsiflexion, but ya its the same thing.

OP - Looks like you got some great nutritional advice on what might be causing your problems. How are you joints though? with running that much that can be really hard on them...only because running, actually jogging, is one of the worst things you can do for your body (Joints of course, not cardiovascularly)

Pretty sure my joints are fine. I have no joint pain. If I could get away with not running then I would but unfortunately when I signed my life away I also signed away my right to make those types of decisions and ( i didnt look if you are American or not) but I appreciate the Army turning me into a runner so in the event Im in the situation where Im about to get my ass blown off I can at least make an attempt to escape all for this great country alot of us here call home. :D :D

Sorry if I seem irritated. My glycogen is depleting ;)

DanTheManB
09-03-2010, 05:48 PM
women in general. surprised you never experienced this before

FemmeFatale28
09-03-2010, 06:11 PM
women in general. surprised you never experienced this before

What the whole shin thing?

TheHeirApparent
09-03-2010, 06:14 PM
I suffered from shin splints all my life, after my carb-ups, and mine go up to 1300 over the day, my shins will hurt just doing my liss cardio around the neighborhood, and its definitely due to the pump. I surmise its some sort of imbalance with me that is amplified when pumped up..I also have flat feet which compounded the issue, but its definitely the pump you are getting from the full muscle bellies.

1300 carbs??? shiit lol thats like eating going to the bakery and cleaning off the shelves.

DanTheManB
09-03-2010, 06:14 PM
What the whole shin thing?

yea. has happened to me probably 3 times before and i go thru running phases. i also go thru over eating phases. it is pretty debilitating as far as running goes

DanTheManB
09-03-2010, 06:16 PM
1300 carbs??? shiit lol thats like eating going to the bakery and cleaning off the shelves.

you'd be surprised for an intense trainer (esp if enhanced and no Jason I'm not inferring you are or aren't) how easy it is to put down a ton of carbs

FemmeFatale28
09-03-2010, 06:48 PM
yea. has happened to me probably 3 times before and i go thru running phases. i also go thru over eating phases. it is pretty debilitating as far as running goes

Well this is the first time Ive overate like that on pretty much straight carbs, 2 days straight. Ive had the whole 1 day escapades here and there but the last almost year Ive kept my diet tight for the most part. So it is my first experience. I really cant afford for it to happen again either. But it is fortunate that I found out about it THIS week and not next week because I have a PT test on Wednesday and thats the last thing I need is my shins acting crazy

cptdgraham
09-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Pretty sure my joints are fine. I have no joint pain. If I could get away with not running then I would but unfortunately when I signed my life away I also signed away my right to make those types of decisions and ( i didnt look if you are American or not) but I appreciate the Army turning me into a runner so in the event Im in the situation where Im about to get my ass blown off I can at least make an attempt to escape all for this great country alot of us here call home. :D :D

Sorry if I seem irritated. My glycogen is depleting ;)

haha ya i am and i totally understand all the running you are required to do, which i think is awesome.

you'd be surprised for an intense trainer (esp if enhanced and no Jason I'm not inferring you are or aren't) how easy it is to put down a ton of carbs

what the hell are you eating to put down 1300 carbs? when i was on a bulk i shot for 600 and that was a major struggle, i was eating constantly. oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, and brown rice mostly. shot up about 14 lbs in 2 months, loved the strength gains too. just wondering what the hell you're eating to make it so easy?

TheHeirApparent
09-03-2010, 09:14 PM

what the hell are you eating to put down 1300 carbs? when i was on a bulk i shot for 600 and that was a major struggle, i was eating constantly. oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, and brown rice mostly. shot up about 14 lbs in 2 months, loved the strength gains too. just wondering what the hell you're eating to make it so easy?

im bulking as well, but to take in that many carbs i have no eat nonstop till my stomach gets full and hurts...about 3times in a day lol

FemmeFatale28
09-04-2010, 06:56 AM
I wish I had a clue how many I consumed. It was ridiculous haha .. Im talking..

- angel food cupcakes w. choco PB frosting for breakfast, later that day deviled eggs, baked man and cheese with a cracker topping, ice cream, banana pudding, yeast rolls, potatoes and carrots with syrup and sprinkles, mass amounts of alcohol mixed with orange juice

the next day :

- banana pudding and ice cream for breakfast (lol), more mac and cheese, countless saltine crackers with peanut butter, banana sandwich, oatmeal cookies with caramel topping.. I mean... it goes on and on. It was a nasty ass mess. Ive never been so bloated in my life lol..

DanTheManB
09-04-2010, 07:04 AM
LOL

it's easy as hell to eat 1300 grams of carbs in a day if you're eating junk

this....2 pop tarts alone is 75 g...and they digest fast too...

surfergirl36
09-04-2010, 08:42 AM
I wish I had a clue how many I consumed. It was ridiculous haha .. Im talking..

- angel food cupcakes w. choco PB frosting for breakfast, later that day deviled eggs, baked man and cheese with a cracker topping, ice cream, banana pudding, yeast rolls, potatoes and carrots with syrup and sprinkles, mass amounts of alcohol mixed with orange juice

the next day :

- banana pudding and ice cream for breakfast (lol), more mac and cheese, countless saltine crackers with peanut butter, banana sandwich, oatmeal cookies with caramel topping.. I mean... it goes on and on. It was a nasty ass mess. Ive never been so bloated in my life lol..

I am now adding angel food cupcakes with choco PB frosting to my post show treat list! That sounds soo good!! :)

surfergirl36
09-04-2010, 08:43 AM
this....2 pop tarts alone is 75 g...and they digest fast too...

Yep...it really doesn't take much for it to add up....especially if you're eating junk!

I like your new avi Dan. :)

FemmeFatale28
09-04-2010, 09:12 AM
I am now adding angel food cupcakes with choco PB frosting to my post show treat list! That sounds soo good!! :)

Girl. It was like a reeses cloud :) So wonderful.

DanTheManB
09-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Girl. It was like a reeses cloud :) So wonderful.

Hahaha@reeses cloud!! love it

DanTheManB
09-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Yep...it really doesn't take much for it to add up....especially if you're eating junk!

I like your new avi Dan. :)

thank ya! I look better fatter...right davy?

surfergirl36
09-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Hahaha@reeses cloud!! love it

mmmm....that is such a great visual! laying in a cloud of reeses! makes me feel happy. lol

FemmeFatale28
09-04-2010, 02:04 PM
thank ya! I look better fatter...right davy?

mmmm....that is such a great visual! laying in a cloud of reeses! makes me feel happy. lol

Chewing on a Reeses cloud watching Dan get 'fatter' .......Im so in. ( some hetero intended) bahaha

Chubbs387
09-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I run 9 miles a week at minimum and I have for months due to being in the Army. Friday we had a little 3 mile run, no problems.. Ive ran up to 6miles without a problem including hills thrown in.

This weekend was my daughters birthday and it was a southern food carbtastic free for all. For two days I ate minimal protein and alot of fat and carbs. I didnt count anything because 1. I didnt want/plan to 2. I decided I was ready to continue with my cut that I was taking a break from and I was gonna start that on this past Monday, which I did. Anyway..

I ate enough carbs to wear I was SOO seriously bloated like I have never been before. Ever. Monday morning rolls around we are going for a run and like .5 a mile into it my shins are on FIRE, I mean to the point where I can hardley walk, much less run and in my right shin a knot developed that you could see through the skin. I was like WTF. I wasnt too alarmed because when I first started running or if i havent ran in a LOOOONG time this happens to me but never after a few days. So I was like ok.. I am dehydrated. I drank a gallon of water on Monday.. held most of it because I didnt pee that much. Yesterday I started letting go of some water finally, tried to run a mile, same thing happened. Today bloat has gone down more, and today I had to do a two mile run and I made it through but it still hurt only not as bad. Its like each day as my bloat goes down my shins get better but I wanna know what made this happen? You would think the excess glycogen/water would have helped not hindered? I decided to post here because I couldnt figure out what section it belonged in and I value the opinions and knowledge here. So I am looking for insight.

Recap :

- ate a bazillion carbs, swoll up like stay puft
- I run alot after carb fest shins are acting crazy when I run
- as bloat goes away shins are getting better
- I want to understand the physiology of this
- you guys/gals rock and keep the brosh*t to a minimum :)

I can't help you, but I have had something similar happen to me. When I'm bloated, my ankles swell up and my feet feel heavy and painful when I run. The doc told me that mine is from sodium though, not carbs.

DanTheManB
09-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Chewing on a Reeses cloud watching Dan get 'fatter' .......Im so in. ( some hetero intended) bahaha

guess i cant make any sarcastic remarks to your posts anymore *flattered*

surfergirl36
09-04-2010, 04:51 PM

LOL...if Dan's pic is fat...I'm all over fat guys!

Quelly
09-04-2010, 05:22 PM
also something to consider, the bloat probably came with weight gain no? After the worst binge I had post show, I put on 13lbs....running with an added 13lbs your body is not used to will definitely cause shin splints....granted you probably didn't gain that much, but its all relative to frame

DanTheManB
09-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Damn look at that. Women hitting on you over the internetz.

score

at least it happens somewhere =/

MrMcCarthy
09-04-2010, 09:56 PM
This thread got... interesting.

FemmeFatale28
09-05-2010, 06:57 PM
guess i cant make any sarcastic remarks to your posts anymore *flattered*

Ha. Sure you can, now you can just be a little sweeter about it ;)

also something to consider, the bloat probably came with weight gain no? After the worst binge I had post show, I put on 13lbs....running with an added 13lbs your body is not used to will definitely cause shin splints....granted you probably didn't gain that much, but its all relative to frame

Im sure there was weight gained, idk how much because I wasnt crazy enough to put myself through that. Whatever I did gain was gone 4 days later.