PDA

View Full Version : Best headphones?

WCP1200
08-14-2010, 09:10 PM
So what are the best headphones to get for the 360. Theres so many different opinions. I was looking at either the ax720, x31 or x41s. Im kinda leaning towards the x31s though. lots of people saying trittons are made with cheap parts and are heavy and uncomfortable. I would like opinions from people who actually own a pair or have tried them. Thanks

WWUCasey
08-14-2010, 10:41 PM
So what are the best headphones to get for the 360. Theres so many different opinions. I was looking at either the ax720, x31 or x41s. Im kinda leaning towards the x31s though. lots of people saying trittons are made with cheap parts and are heavy and uncomfortable. I would like opinions from people who actually own a pair or have tried them. Thanks

I have the X3.1's, they burn through batteries really quick, but they're comfortable as hell, i just played probably 7 hours of cod today and it's no big deal wearing 'em.

triton's are owned by mad catz, and i remember the aftermarket controllers they make suck dick, so i bring that into my opinion on the ax720s.

if you want to go with the x4.1's i'd rather go with a set of A40's by astro.

Clide Whit
08-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Best bang for buck is the AX-720 IMO. If you really want to get fancy, get the Astro Mixamp and either the Sennheiser AD700 or HD595.

WCP1200
08-15-2010, 07:00 AM
I have the X3.1's, they burn through batteries really quick, but they're comfortable as hell, i just played probably 7 hours of cod today and it's no big deal wearing 'em.

triton's are owned by mad catz, and i remember the aftermarket controllers they make suck dick, so i bring that into my opinion on the ax720s.

if you want to go with the x4.1's i'd rather go with a set of A40's by astro.
The x31s use batteries? I thought the are usb. How is the sound quality? Can you hear the direction of where a sound is coming from?

Lord_Lemon
08-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Top of the line gaming headphones, look into the 3 offered by these companies:

-Astro A40 w/ mixamp (most durable and crafted headset with the best mic. great surround, bass, and portable. Tons of wires to deal with. Official headset of Major League Gaming)

-Tritton AX Pro (the best 3 dimensional surround by a good margin, bass just ok. Mic sucks and has a high failure rate. Quality of headset is not the best. Not made for people with big heads)

-Turtle Beach X41 (great surround, wireless. Most people are happy with their purchase.)

Don't go cheap. Get one of these. I have the Astros and highly recommend them.

note on the Tritton's: Their AX Pro's are better than anything else they came out with, even the newer models. If you go this route, make sure you replace the crap mic with a ax720 mic.

mehdi84
08-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Read my thread here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126298533

Astro MixAmp + Turtle Beach HPA2

Lord_Lemon
08-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Read my thread here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126298533

Astro MixAmp + Turtle Beach HPA2

I have the Turtle Beach HPX-1 and tested it with the mixamp. The Astro A40's were way better. Two large drivers > multiple small poor ones. Not to mention you can't even take advantage of the multiple small speakers on a console and it will just be 2.1 with weaker stereo mains than if you got a headset with two quality drivers to begin with.

mehdi84
08-15-2010, 12:15 PM
I have the Turtle Beach HPX-1 and tested it with the mixamp. The Astro A40's were way better. Two large drivers > multiple small poor ones. Not to mention you can't even take advantage of the multiple small speakers on a console and it will just be 2.1 with weaker stereo mains than if you got a headset with two quality drivers to begin with.

The HPX-1's are an older model, and don't compare to the HPA2s which have two 40mm drivers, plus the smaller ones for surround sound simulation. The drivers work in tandem when in stereo mode. Most every review I've read actually rate the A40s pretty low, while suggesting the second generation A30s are even better.

The plus side with the HPA2s is the ability to then use it for surround sound movies and games on the PC as well.

http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276655

Lord_Lemon
08-15-2010, 12:22 PM
I would be really surprised if that were the case. I've also demo'ed the A40s and wasn't the least bit impressed. Every review I've seen between the two suggest just that as well. Also note, the HPX-1 is an older model.

The plus side with the HPA2s is the ability to then use it for surround sound movies.

I've done numerous swaping tests and there's really no comparison. In every way the Astros are better than the HPX-1, from 3 dimensional surround field, bass, audio clarity, comfort, etc..

Regardless of my tests, the tech behind it supports my claim that two quality drivers > multiple smaller ones which most don't get used anyway in console play.

Other studies I've read online back this up.

Trust me, I really wanted to like the HPX and I bought it after my Astro purchase after hearing good things about it but they are just not as good.

mehdi84
08-15-2010, 12:25 PM
I've done numerous swaping tests and there's really no comparison. In every way the Astros are better than the HPX-1, from 3 dimensional surround field, bass, audio clarity, comfort, etc..

Regardless of my tests, the tech behind it supports my claim that two quality drivers > multiple smaller ones which most don't get used anyway in console play.

Once again, the HPX-1 is not the same as the HPA2 or the HPX-2.

The HPA2s actually use their drivers in tandem when in stereo mode.

Finally, the HPA2 has 40mm drivers, just as the Astro A40 has 40mm drivers. However, in addition the HPA2 has an extra pair, plus a pair of 30mm drivers, plus the bass driver.

Every review I have ever come across between the HPA2 and the A40s puts it ahead. In fact, the closest thing Astro produces to the other premium headsets is the new A30s, which is a redesign. I've also done swap tests.

Lord_Lemon
08-15-2010, 12:32 PM

I doubt there's much difference. They all use 40mm stereo drivers.

50mm drivers are way better for console gaming.

mehdi84
08-15-2010, 12:34 PM
I doubt there's much difference. They all use 40mm stereo drivers.

50mm drivers are way better for console gaming.

A40s don't have 50mm drivers. They have 40mm drivers. ( http://www.astrogaming.com/manuals/Headset_Guide_Final.pdf )

Every established reviewer suggests the HPA2s are better then the A40s hands down. This isn't just my opinion.

Lord_Lemon
08-15-2010, 12:44 PM
A40s don't have 50mm drivers. They have 40mm drivers. ( http://www.astrogaming.com/manuals/Headset_Guide_Final.pdf )

Every established reviewer suggests the HPA2s are better then the A40s hands down. This isn't just my opinion.

My mistake about the 50mm drivers. And you can find any review that will contradict another. The true test is one's own ears. I know there was a debate a while back on this so I took the plunge. Astros were way better than the HPX-1's many people were raving about then.

What is so better about the HPA2 or the HPX-2 from the HPX-1?

Lord_Lemon
08-15-2010, 12:54 PM
The reviewer you quoted in your tread said in his youtube description that the HPA2 are identical to HPX. Are you saying the reviewer you were using for a reference is wrong about that?

mehdi84
08-15-2010, 12:57 PM
My mistake about the 50mm drivers. And you can find any review that will contradict another. The true test is one's own ears. I know there was a debate a while back on this so I took the plunge. Astros were way better than the HPX-1's many people were raving about then.

What is so better about the HPA2 or the HPX-2 from the HPX-1?

You're right about that. At the end of the day, it all depends on how it sounds to you. I just haven't seen one review yet that puts the A40s ahead of the HPA2s. The HPX-1s, I can understand.

For me, I found the A40s to lack clarity in comparison to the HPA2s. As mlgsteggy puts it in his extensive review:

"Going from the HPX’s to the A40’s, the difference was pretty noticeable off the bat. The a40’s are kind of hollow sounding. I found myself turning up the volume to get anywhere near the same impact as I did with the HPX’s. It still performs ok for directional positioning, but the clarity just isn’t fully there. To put it in perspective, for the spectrum of headphones, the headsets we’ve tested place between HD515’s and HD555’s, for clarity anyways. While the HPX and PC350 lean towards the 555 end, the Astros lean towards the 515’s. "

In addition, I'm a huge fan of the sub woffers that are in the HPA2s. When things explode, you feel them explode in an awesome way.

The second gen HPX and HPA2s are reworked designs; improved circuitry, different drivers, etc. From what I've read, the improvement has been rather night and day between the first model.

This is very similar to how many suggest that the second generation A30s are showing much improvement, even over, the first generation A40s.

The reviewer you quoted in your tread said in his youtube description that the HPA2 are identical to HPX. Are you saying the reviewer you were using for a reference is wrong about that?

No, he's correct. The HPX he is referring to is the second generation HPXs, while you are referring to the HPX-1, which is the first generation.

The difference between the HPX (second gen) and the HPA2 are the dongles that come with it.

meathead99
08-16-2010, 01:57 PM
I got a pair of "Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 Noise Isolating Earphones" and really really love them!

WWUCasey
08-16-2010, 07:05 PM
The x31s use batteries? I thought the are usb. How is the sound quality? Can you hear the direction of where a sound is coming from?

nope, pretty sure only the X1's use the USB to power them up, X3'1s and 4'1s are both wireless, so invest in some rechargeable batteries.