PDA

View Full Version : Internet Router and New Laptop Question

Nkuch
08-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Just a couple really quick questions for the tech forums. Moving into a new apartment here soon and am sick and tired of having my desktop running out of the wireless router everyone else in the apartment uses for their laptops. The reason for this being that every time one of them needs to restart the router I lose connection and could be in the middle of an intense game of Star Craft 2. My real question is is it possible to connect two modems in a single house? The ISP is Charter, does anyone know if there is a way they will detect this / frown upon this?

My other question is that my brother is soon to buy a laptop for school and i see a lot of different models has refurbished or recertified in them. Wondering what the general consensus is on buying refurbished laptops are these days as i have never bought a laptop and just built my own desktops over the years.

Thanks for your replys

ProPUA
08-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Sorry I don't speak spanish

Phenom01
08-10-2010, 03:25 PM
You need too separate modems

TJMachine
08-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Why is the router being restarted so much? At most it should need to be done like once a week.
Not sure they'd care if they could detect it.
Not sure how Charter is setup, but you'll probably get only one public IP Address from them. If you have two modems, they'll both be fighting for that one IP Address, and one or the other will always be disconnected.