PDA

View Full Version : Windows7 Question (quick)

BOZZ
08-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Is there a way to lock the gadgets you put up on the desktop? I havent been able to figure it out and its not in help.

Moh7
08-10-2010, 12:59 PM
found this on http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1296794

Using the Group Policy Editor you can sorta lock the Sidebar with, redirect(override) the "get more Gadgets URL", permanently turn off sidebar, or even just disable unpacking and installation of non-signed gadgets.

For system-wide settings follow these steps.

Go to run >> gpedit.msc >> UAC prompt >> Computer Config >> Admin Templates >> Windows Components >> Windows Sidebar

For User-specific setups, which you really should create, just go to User Configuration instead of Computer Configuration.

I know it doesn't stop them from moving them, but at least they can't install anything new, download anything new or from disabling the sidebar all together.

Save for that you may want to create something like a Slide 2 Unlock Gadget. Or be really, really nice to someone who can develop it.

As for the re-arranging icons at restart/startup, that is due to a poorly coded gadget in the litter. I've run with several different configurations of gadgets and have only recently found my top 5 (well, guess the clock counts too.. so maybe 6) that do everything I need. I often try other gadgets out, but 1 at a time and I give them a break in period. Try eliminating your gadgets 1 by 1, milkweg and see if removing 1 stops the "madness".

BOZZ
08-10-2010, 01:02 PM
found this on http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1296794

Using the Group Policy Editor you can sorta lock the Sidebar with, redirect(override) the "get more Gadgets URL", permanently turn off sidebar, or even just disable unpacking and installation of non-signed gadgets.

For system-wide settings follow these steps.

Go to run >> gpedit.msc >> UAC prompt >> Computer Config >> Admin Templates >> Windows Components >> Windows Sidebar

For User-specific setups, which you really should create, just go to User Configuration instead of Computer Configuration.

I know it doesn't stop them from moving them, but at least they can't install anything new, download anything new or from disabling the sidebar all together.

Save for that you may want to create something like a Slide 2 Unlock Gadget. Or be really, really nice to someone who can develop it.

As for the re-arranging icons at restart/startup, that is due to a poorly coded gadget in the litter. I've run with several different configurations of gadgets and have only recently found my top 5 (well, guess the clock counts too.. so maybe 6) that do everything I need. I often try other gadgets out, but 1 at a time and I give them a break in period. Try eliminating your gadgets 1 by 1, milkweg and see if removing 1 stops the "madness".

That post was for windows vista and dated from 2k8 bro LOL

Moh7
08-10-2010, 01:04 PM
ya but most things that work for vista would work for 7... sometimes.

Anyways aprently you cant lock the gagets but someone did create an application called pinner

found it here http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/551444-how-to-lock-gadgets-on-desktop/

kenonator
08-10-2010, 01:08 PM
I don't think there is a way. People seem to be complaining and wanting this feature.