PDA

View Full Version : Is the universe an accident? Why? Why not?

wildphucker
08-06-2010, 09:39 PM
How do you feel about the fact the universe could possibly a complete accident, unintentional, completely absurd and meaningless and without a point whatsoever.

How does this make you feel on an emotional level? On an intellectual level?

Do you have any reason for believing one way or the other? What justifies this belief?

Non-religious answers only please. You can mention God if you need to as a metaphor or understanding device, but no bibles or good books please.

endofdays89
08-06-2010, 09:41 PM
We live in a universe, surrounded by billions, if not infinite universes. All under different laws of physics, but universes none the less. It isn't an accident, its just the way things are.

dt02
08-06-2010, 09:42 PM
We live in a universe, surrounded by billions, if not infinite universes. All under different laws of physics, but universes none the less. It isn't an accident, its just the way things are.

lol you say it as if you know this for sure...

clue: you dont.

wildphucker
08-06-2010, 09:43 PM

There isnt a shred of evidence supporting infinite universes anyway.....

treefidddy2
08-06-2010, 10:07 PM
I hope it is an accident honestly. The fact that all the suffering that occurs on just our planet would make it hard for me to believe anything so powerful would create such a flawed reality...

farquezy
08-06-2010, 10:08 PM
There isnt a shred of evidence supporting infinite universes anyway.....

tell that to Brian Greene and Michio Kaku son

wildphucker
08-06-2010, 10:10 PM
I hope it is an accident honestly. The fact that all the suffering that occurs on just our planet would make it hard for me to believe anything so powerful would create such a flawed reality...

flawed.....might wanna reconsider the meaning behind existence son. You seem to be caught up in the old religious God that hangs around and watches it all go on.

What about a meaning that involves us personally on a much more deeper level rather than some stupid test by some stupid angry God

wildphucker
08-06-2010, 10:11 PM
tell that to Brian Greene and Michio Kaku son

string theory? please thats so flawed and being more and more disregarded daily noone will entertain it 20 years from now.

CleverNickName
08-06-2010, 10:23 PM
There is a theory that says that the universe will collapse into an infinitesimally small point sometime in the distant future. At this point, another Big Bang could happen. If this is true, and the universe always expands and contracts after a certain period of time, then maybe the universe didn't always exist this way.

Maybe with the creation of each universe there were different conditions and given infinite time, the universe that could support human life (our current universe) came into existence. We might just be a statistic, just a thought.

wildphucker
08-06-2010, 10:25 PM
There is a theory that says that the universe will collapse into an infinitesimally small point sometime in the distant future. At this point, another Big Bang could happen. If this is true, and the universe always expands and contracts after a certain period of time, then maybe the universe didn't always exist this way.

Maybe with the creation of each universe there were different conditions and given infinite time, the universe that could support human life (our current universe) came into existence. We might just be a statistic, just a thought.

That really isnt an answer, it just pushes the mystery back into infinite.......why the eternal bangs and crunches? why is there universes banging and crunching eternally?

CleverNickName
08-06-2010, 10:33 PM
That really isnt an answer, it just pushes the mystery back into infinite.......why the eternal bangs and crunches? why is there universes banging and crunching eternally?

Well that would mean our own existence was accidental or due to probability.

As far as why the universe itself does that, well, it just does. Maybe there is no reason. In order for the universe to do something on purpose, it would have to be a conscious entity or be controlled by a conscious entity.

Zuggie
08-06-2010, 10:38 PM
How do you feel about the fact the universe could possibly a complete accident, unintentional, completely absurd and meaningless and without a point whatsoever.

Makes me want to question existance itself, and whether it's truly worth it. Especially knowing that I must go through all this shiit that's involved in "living", for it to all end up as nothing and meaningless?

endofdays89
08-06-2010, 10:40 PM
string theory? please thats so flawed and being more and more disregarded daily noone will entertain it 20 years from now.

So you think the universe popping out of nowhere makes more sense? The multiple universe theory is very valid.

wildphucker
08-06-2010, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=wildphucker;529933223]How do you feel about the fact the universe could possibly a complete accident, unintentional, completely absurd and meaningless and without a point whatsoever.

QUOTE]

Makes me want to question existance itself, and whether it's truly worth it. Especially knowing that I must go through all this shiit that's involved in "living", for it to all end up as nothing and meaningless?

Does it make you a bit fearful or nautious that 'you' are the product of completely accidental and blind and meaningless forces that didnt 'intend' on your existence at all?

If the universe is an accident, this means logically that its absurd, meaningless and the existence of everything is utterly pointless, and once you die youre gone forever, theres no point to anything, and the concept of 'meaning' is just a byproduct of human brains evolving but the real true nature of everything is lacking means and points entirely.

Its kind of a scary thought, makes you wanna question 'why' but 'why' becomes meaningless because the universe was in fact completely accidental and never meant to be, one still asks 'how did it get here' but because of the absurdity, rationality and 'common sense' dont even exist so nothing precludes a pointless existence just popping up for absoutely no reason whatsoever. Poor us are just stuck in it because curiously enough such extreme absurdity and lack of rationality and meaning has temporarily produced oasis's of rationality allowing us to evolve......

Worse still, we arent even conscious, alive, 'here for a reason' or purpose but its all illusory because of the ultimate underlying absurdity allowing the 'anything goes' regimen which includes brief spouts of organic matter being able to think about things

CleverNickName
08-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Existential crisis.

wildphucker
08-06-2010, 10:50 PM
So you think the universe popping out of nowhere makes more sense? The multiple universe theory is very valid.

i dont think the universe popping out of nothing is valid at all, i think that is the most absurd idea ever.

multiple universes isnt supported by any evidence, and doesnt answer anything, it just multiplies the mystery by infinite

wildphucker
08-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Exisential crisis.

thats an understatement......its actually starting to make me depresssed and not enjkoy life

Who?
08-06-2010, 10:52 PM
An "accident" presupposes both a 'time' before, and an initial goal by some conscious being.

Not having a "point" does not mean it is an accident.

wildphucker
08-06-2010, 10:53 PM
An "accident" presupposes both a 'time' before, and an initial goal by some conscious being.

Not having a "point" does not mean it is an accident.

i use accident in the context of 'it was never meant to be' or its here without meaning or intention.

JustAnotherUser
08-06-2010, 10:54 PM

Maybe whatever set the universe in motion was flawed? Or it simply isn't thinking.

Zuggie
08-06-2010, 10:55 PM

Why can't the universe just "exist"? Why must there be an end and a beginning, is it because we see life this way?

I know all the notions of big bang, string, multiple universes, but I will always think of the universe as a living entity itself.. It fluctuates along like a breathing lung, contracting and expanding. I do know some scientist has mentioned this before, can't remember the name of the top of my head, but I always loved this idea.. Maybe because deep down it actually soothes me that we are not really alone..

Evolutionary1
08-06-2010, 10:56 PM
well if you dwell on these thoughts long enough you have no point to live so you should not ask "why" do things happen. you should live your life and make a reason to why they happen. the universe and everything in it are nothing without your believe of its existance.

Who?
08-06-2010, 11:01 PM
i use accident in the context of 'it was never meant to be' or its here without meaning or intention.

This shouldn't be troublesome or depressing to anyone, the universe as a whole, not having a point doesn't mean your life doesn't have a point, and not having a god or whatever determine your life's point isn't any different. You are free to choose your own life goal, your own point in existing, it's called volition, and it's much greater and much more inspiring than having a predetermined goal.

CleverNickName
08-06-2010, 11:08 PM
thats an understatement......its actually starting to make me depresssed and not enjkoy life

I went through some similar a few months ago. It's absolutely scary to think that there may be no purpose, it certainly is depressing I'll give you that. It's very easy to slip into nihilism, so please be careful.

I don't know if I can really help you overcome this way of thinking, I sometimes have trouble with it myself. People have been trying to come up with the answer to the meaning of our existence for a very long time. It's one of those age-old questions. Look into Existentialism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism), it's a philosophy that you may be interested in. The idea is if there is no inherent meaning to the universe, then it is your responsibility to give your life meaning.

Evolutionary1
08-06-2010, 11:13 PM
I went through some similar a few months ago. It's absolutely scary to think that there may be no purpose, it certainly is depressing I'll give you that. It's very easy to slip into nihilism, so please be careful.

I don't know if I can really help you overcome this way of thinking, I sometimes have trouble with it myself. People have been trying to come up with the answer to the meaning of our existence for a very long time. It's one of those age-old questions. Look into Existentialism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism), it's a philosophy that you may be interested in. The idea is if there is no inherent meaning to the universe, then it is your responsibility to give your life meaning.

nihilism is a pretty desolate and bleak reality, i don't see how people stick to it

CleverNickName
08-06-2010, 11:22 PM
nihilism is a pretty desolate and bleak reality, i don't see how people stick to it

Yeah, it is. I don't believe that it is a very optimal strategy for anyone to adopt, it's psychologically unhealthy.

wildphucker
08-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Yeah, it is. I don't believe that it is a very optimal strategy for anyone to adopt, it's psychologically unhealthy.

it may be bleak, but if the universe is actually this way, we should accept it for what it is rather than persist in delusion.

Thiough obviously theres no way we could ever know at this point in time.

Heres another thought:is it actually possible to triumph in the face of ultimate absurdity? Could some god-like species, possibly us, evolved in billions of years with unfathomably advanced technology have the capcity to give the universe a meaning?

If we were biologically immortal, and could prevent certain universe threatening scientific disasters from happening.....is it possible to actually turn it all around and create a meaningful universe when it originally had no meaning whatsoever?

wapacmane
08-07-2010, 08:14 PM

Do you have any reason for believing one way or the other? What justifies this belief?

Non-religious answers only please. You can mention God if you need to as a metaphor or understanding device, but no bibles or good books please.

why don't you save your self the trouble and just adopt an religion? or explore your inner spirituality if you detest religion

DeseanJackson
08-07-2010, 08:57 PM
our universe = some kid's science expierment for the science fair

hope his mom dosnt force him to throw it out

wildphucker
08-08-2010, 12:51 AM
our universe = some kid's science expierment for the science fair

hope his mom dosnt force him to throw it out

i doubt it, its a pretty damn good one

Galvatorex
08-08-2010, 01:33 AM

God created the universe \ thread

in b4 universe is infinite, no its finite, the empty space if infinite

wildphucker
08-08-2010, 01:50 AM
God created the universe \ thread

in b4 universe is infinite, no its finite, the empty space if infinite

i said no religious answers