PDA

View Full Version : Awesome picture of two galaxies colliding!

My_Friend
08-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Hubble, Cassandra and Spitzer worked together to produce this stunning picture of the Antennae galaxies colliding.

http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2010/antennae/antennae.jpg

http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2010/antennae/

DangerDan
08-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the new background.

winthorpe
08-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Some great pics on that site.

Gorilla_Dose
08-05-2010, 12:10 PM
lsV500W4BHU

Beelze
08-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Amazing.

As it wasn't widescreen, I've added to the sides a bit for those with higher resolution monitors who would like to use it as a background.

http://i33.tinypic.com/9ad7qp.jpg

Could you imagine if there was intelligent life in those galaxies just ****ting bricks when they knew this was about to happen?

ppself
08-05-2010, 01:19 PM
So that's what happens when balls touch.

Nice find though OP.

My_Friend
08-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Amazing.

As it wasn't widescreen, I've added to the sides a bit for those with higher resolution monitors who would like to use it as a background.

[IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/9ad7qp.jpg[IMG]

Could you imagine if there was intelligent life in those galaxies just ****ting bricks when they knew this was about to happen?

Thanks. I've set it as my background too.

Bababooey100
08-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Amazing.

Actually nothing happens. Stars are so far apart that even when galaxies collide, they never hit each other. The biggest "boom" is when the two supermassive black holes merge. Saw it on one of those Science Channel shows. We're going to collide with Andromeda in the next 4 billions years and I believe we're colliding with a much smaller galaxy right now.

10ThousandFists
08-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Actually nothing happens. Stars are so far apart that even when galaxies collide, they never hit each other. The biggest "boom" is when the two supermassive black holes merge. Saw it on one of those Science Channel shows. We're going to collide with Andromeda in the next 4 billions years and I believe we're colliding with a much smaller galaxy right now.

THIS.

Although the sound of two galaxies colliding sounds epic on all scales, it isn't really. Plus it takes millions and millions and millions of years to collide and merge as one.

The chances of any stars or planets hitting each other during the collision is virtually zero. They are just too far apart and the galaxies so massive.

wapacmane
08-05-2010, 04:02 PM
THIS.

Although the sound of two galaxies colliding sounds epic on all scales, it isn't really. Plus it takes millions and millions and millions of years to collide and merge as one.

The chances of any stars or planets hitting each other during the collision is virtually zero. They are just too far apart and the galaxies so massive.

some stars and planets do get flung out of their stable orbits, others even get ejected into interstellar space.

Exodus14
08-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Wow that's gorgeous.

I don't have much scientific to add, just wanted to show some appreciation.

Hardnutcheck
08-05-2010, 07:06 PM
So how does this happen? Galaxies move around?

pantera02018
08-05-2010, 07:18 PM
So how does this happen? Galaxies move around?

evertyhing fromt eh biggest super massive black holes to tiny meteorites orbits around everyhting else

obviouslly a black hole has a **** ton x1000000 more influence then say earth but everything orbits everything else

Otaman
08-05-2010, 07:18 PM
looks like dogshiet

jkg good find OP

hungarian_boss
08-05-2010, 07:27 PM
I wonder what that heavy dark red represents.
Heat?
MIND=BLOWN

TheHybrid
08-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Heat?
MIND=BLOWN
I'm far from a physicist/cosmologist, and i'm sure it depends upon the type of imaging used, but it could just be light traveling away from us

Beelze
08-05-2010, 08:11 PM

THIS.

Damn, I was aware of the amount of time it takes, I remember it was on a documentary. But I thought at least the consequences would never be the same.

Gamma ray bursts remain most epic.

urdaddyishere
08-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Heat?
MIND=BLOWN

I read that the Hubble and other telescopes send back black and white images and then the graphics people at NASA add the color based on light frequencies. Pretty cool.

mojo85
08-05-2010, 08:36 PM
im surprised it takes that long, I mean with such mammoth sized objects all with huge amounts of gravity interacting like that I figured it wouldnt take that long...But i guess the distance is so huge.

TheMinga
08-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Great image, thanks for sharing.

Its crazy to think we are looking at something that is probably hundreds of thousands of light years across, but in one snap shot.

Hardnutcheck
08-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Would it be considered a new galaxy?