PDA

View Full Version : "The Boss" is gone (O/T)

GuyJin
07-14-2010, 01:06 AM
No, not Bruce Springsteen.

Just read on mlb.com that George Steinbrenner passed away. Like him or hate him, agree with his methods or not, he re-built the Yankees into a championship team again, after a few rotten years from the mid-1960's until the early 1970's.

Personally, while I never cared for his attitude, he did build a winner. And he kept on winning.

Here's hoping the Yanks take it all again this year.

rojamay
07-14-2010, 01:58 AM
Love the Yankees. RIP Boss.

Montecristo409
07-14-2010, 04:58 AM
Being from Detroit I'm definitely not a Yankee fan, but I can respect a man who puts his money where his mouth is.

Mr. Steinbrenner wanted a winner and he wasn't afraid to do whatever it took or spend whatever was needed, to get one.

DeathtoToasters
07-14-2010, 05:44 AM
He was an SOB....but he was OUR SOB!

RIP George.....

LisaSkinnoble
07-14-2010, 05:47 AM
He really was a character, that's for sure. And in the world of professional sports, he sure knew what he was doing.

I often wonder what he thought of his portrayal on Seinfeld. The real J. Peterman thought they way they portrayed him was great - he's pals with the actor who played him and even named one of his golf shirts after him. I wonder what The Big Stein thought of it all. Some funny stuff that was. :D

GuyJin
07-14-2010, 06:11 AM
He probably enjoyed it.

In show-biz, there's no such thing as bad publicity--unless you're Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton and in THEIR case it should be "no publicity at all for the rest of their miserable lives"---but I digress.

Steinbrenner had his detractors and I'll be the first to say that he helped usher in the era of the overpaid mega-stars who sometimes underperformed. And yes, there are those who say he bought the pennants--mainly Boston Red Sox fans--but if he hadn't paid the big bucks, someone else would have.

As someone said, he may have been an SOB--but he was a YANKEE all the way.