PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Death

SP1966
06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
This has been one of the most entertaining Stanley Cup Finals in memory! How the NHL is a distant fourth in pro sports I don't understand.

crupiea
06-02-2010, 08:54 PM
They still play hockey?

In the middle of summer?

hochspeyer
06-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure the NHL was ever too savvy about marketing. Then again, it could be owners like we have (or used to have) in Chicago.

LisaSkinnoble
06-03-2010, 06:13 AM
This has been one of the most entertaining Stanley Cup Finals in memory! How the NHL is a distant fourth in pro sports I don't understand.

x1000!!

Philly's my team. As a kid in 1970s, I was awed by the Broad Street Bullies. (Flash forward 25 years, and I end up working 8 seasons on NHL salary arbitrations. One of the highlights of my professional career: my hero Bob Clarke signing my 1980 Bobby Clarke hockey card. ;) )

So go figure. This is the first year in I don't know how many years that I'm not in a playoff pool. Year after year, people howl laughing when I don my Flyers jersey, plunk down my 10 bucks and say "Philly for the win!".

Each round has had its share of surprises.

Friday night will be a nail-biter!

dbx
06-03-2010, 06:37 AM
Stopped following all sports many, many years ago, but hockey was hands down, may favorite sport growing up. We played ALL sports, but we played hockey all year long (street, snow & ice hockey). Everything else just seemed boring to me.

And to throw you Canucks a bone :D....while I loved the Bruins (lived in Boston), I always considered the Montreal Canadians the most solid franchise of all NHL teams during the late 60's/early 70's.

LisaSkinnoble
06-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Stopped following all sports many, many years ago, but hockey was hands down, may favorite sport growing up. We played ALL sports, but we played hockey all year long (street, snow & ice hockey). Everything else just seemed boring to me.

And to throw you Canucks a bone :D....while I loved the Bruins (lived in Boston), I always considered the Montreal Canadians the most solid franchise of all NHL teams during the late 60's/early 70's.

Les glorieux, les habitants, les Canadiens! Can't dispute the glory years of the Habs. Richard (the Rocket and the Pocket), Beliveau, Plante, and later Lafleur, Gainey and Shutt. Ah... all those greats. :)

I love the Bruins too. I heard that Mike O'Connell now has a television or radio show, and that his on-air persona is much like Don Cherry. I keep meaning to look that up.

ectoBgone
06-03-2010, 07:39 AM
I had to hit the sack early to get up for my morning workout, but I can't wait to watch the game on DVR tonight. I love Stanley Cup hockey, almost as fun as playing. The olympic hockey this year was full of awesome as well.

Having lived in New England my whole life, it's all Bruins for me. The Habs can go eff themselves. :D

OutOfStep
06-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Die hard Bruins fan here. I'm kind of glad that hockey isn't as popular as other sports. With popularity come the "pink hat" fair weather fans who know nothing at all about the sport or team. I've seen this happen with the Sox and Pats. New England sports fans are the biggest band wagon riders in the country. At least the hockey fans I meet are passionate fans who know the game, not bimbos who couldn't name a single player on the team. Besides, I don't want the SC finals to become the over commercialized ****show that the Super Bowl has become. The game is secondary to the beer commercials and stupid half time show from some washed up pop star. No thanks.

ectoBgone
06-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Die hard Bruins fan here. I'm kind of glad that hockey isn't as popular as other sports. With popularity come the "pink hat" fair weather fans who know nothing at all about the sport or team. I've seen this happen with the Sox and Pats. New England sports fans are the biggest band wagon riders in the country. At least the hockey fans I meet are passionate fans who know the game, not bimbos who couldn't name a single player on the team. Besides, I don't want the SC finals to become the over commercialized ****show that the Super Bowl has become. The game is secondary to the beer commercials and stupid half time show from some washed up pop star. No thanks.

Good points. You can see this starting to happen with the Winter Classic. The first two years were great. Last year I felt like it got too arrogant (hard to explain). I'm nervous enough with Bettman at the helm trying to improve its popularity, but at least he hasn't revived the glowing puck!

LisaSkinnoble
06-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Good points. You can see this starting to happen with the Winter Classic. The first two years were great. Last year I felt like it got too arrogant (hard to explain). I'm nervous enough with Bettman at the helm trying to improve its popularity, but at least he hasn't revived the glowing puck!

Oh dear lord. The glowing puck!

/me shudders at the memory...

-=FLEX=-
06-03-2010, 08:12 AM
They still play hockey?

In the middle of summer?

It's June 3rd.

Summer hasn't started yet. ;)

-=FLEX=-

elephino
06-03-2010, 08:16 AM

Haha, remember when they added the flames to the puck when it was travelling fast, like after a slap shot?

I <3 Hockey. NBA playoffs can kiss my grits.

fitmom43
06-03-2010, 08:32 AM
x1000!!

Philly's my team. As a kid in 1970s, I was awed by the Broad Street Bullies. (Flash forward 25 years, and I end up working 8 seasons on NHL salary arbitrations. One of the highlights of my professional career: my hero Bob Clarke signing my 1980 Bobby Clarke hockey card. ;) )

So go figure. This is the first year in I don't know how many years that I'm not in a playoff pool. Year after year, people howl laughing when I don my Flyers jersey, plunk down my 10 bucks and say "Philly for the win!".

Each round has had its share of surprises.

Friday night will be a nail-biter!

They just had a special on HBO about the Broad Street Bullies!!! It was about how the Phillies ended up with a Hockey Team. It was an excellent docu. Had to love the 70's team, I couldn't believe that the Russians actually left the ice and were going to forfeit because they thought they were to rough to play against.

LisaSkinnoble
06-03-2010, 08:37 AM
They just had a special on HBO about the Broad Street Bullies!!! It was about how the Phillies ended up with a Hockey Team. It was an excellent docu. Had to love the 70's team, I couldn't believe that the Russians actually left the ice and were going to forfeit because they thought they were to rough to play against.

Oh how I wish I'd seen that. I must look for it. Thanks for letting me know.

They were some rough-and-tumble boys.

fitmom43
06-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Oh how I wish I'd seen that. I must look for it. Thanks for letting me know.

They were some rough-and-tumble boys.

Here's the link it was awesome! It was on Saturday, they might end up running it again.

http://www.hbo.com/sports/broad-street-bullies/index.html

SP1966
06-03-2010, 12:01 PM

Agreed, no better game to play then hockey! We had a park near our home and we would all be playing hockey until they shut the lights off every night!! In fact, when I would play a little basketball I would be throwing hip checks out of habit!!!

No doubt, that was a joke!

Haha, remember when they added the flames to the puck when it was travelling fast, like after a slap shot?

I <3 Hockey. NBA playoffs can kiss my grits.

I like the NBA, but don't understand how Hockey has such a low standing with the average person.

djflex
06-03-2010, 12:40 PM
if you think about it hockey almost always has the most exciting last minute or so in sports. Baseball is rarely decided in the ninth inning, football often has the two minute drill but most games are decided by then and the final minutes of an NBA game are just horrible to watch. In most hockey games the goalie is pulled in the last couple minutes and this provides non stop tension. The majority of all hockey games could be considered close so the other team at least has a chance. The overtimes in hockey and football are the most exciting IMO, and look how many overtime games the NHL gets in the playoffs!!! To continue on my rant, you do not see many hockey players in the news for guns ,drugs whatever. I am not saying never happens, just seems to be less. Holdouts and public whining about contracts are rarer than in other sports. for the most part the players really seem to appreciate the game

rangerNY
06-03-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm in for any hockey thread!

This has been a real good playoff season for sure. As a Rangers fan I'm kind of contractually obligated to root against the Flyers (sorry Lisa), but I totally respect LaViolette for taking a train wreck and turning it into a Cup contender.

As for the Broad Street Bullies. Many ex-Rangers of the 70s have talked openly about the "Philly flu", the mystery sickness that would often keep guys out of the lineup whenever the Flyers came up on the schedule. Even the skill guys on that team were nasty. Hell, Brian Burke has spent the last 15 years trying to re-create the 1974 Flyers!

As for why hockey isn't more popular, I wish I knew. How anyone thinks its more fun to sit and watch 500 miles of left turns is beyond me. I'm talkin' to you, NASCAR fans. Yeah, thats right. I went there. ;)

fitmom43
06-03-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm in for any hockey thread!

This has been a real good playoff season for sure. As a Rangers fan I'm kind of contractually obligated to root against the Flyers (sorry Lisa), but I totally respect LaViolette for taking a train wreck and turning it into a Cup contender.

As for the Broad Street Bullies. Many ex-Rangers of the 70s have talked openly about the "Philly flu", the mystery sickness that would often keep guys out of the lineup whenever the Flyers came up on the schedule. Even the skill guys on that team were nasty. Hell, Brian Burke has spent the last 15 years trying to re-create the 1974 Flyers!

As for why hockey isn't more popular, I wish I knew. How anyone thinks its more fun to sit and watch 500 miles of left turns is beyond me. I'm talkin' to you, NASCAR fans. Yeah, thats right. I went there. ;)

Wish I could repp you first for being a Ranger Fan, and secondly for hating NASCAR!!!! I cannot stand it, probably because it was shoved down my throat for years URGHHH!!!!

djflex
06-03-2010, 04:33 PM
I forgot to add to my earlier post...I will laugh for days if Hossa does not get the cup this year..

dbx
06-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Richard (the Rocket and the Pocket), Beliveau, Plante, and later Lafleur,...... Ah... all those greats. :)

How could you forget Lemaire, Cournoyer, Dryden and Mahovlich? :). MAn, 4 straight Stanley Cups and a total of 6 in the 70's. Simply awesome!

I love the Bruins too.

"Esposito, Orr, Bucyk and Hodge finished 1-2-3-4 in the NHL scoring race in 1970-71." These guys were my heroes. John McKenzie, Derek Sanderson, Gerry Cheevers, Wayne Cashman and many others too. Two Bruins lived within two blocks of me...before they started making money, lol (lower middle class suburb 10 mins north of Boston).

My grandfather worked at Shawmut Bank (now defunct, I think) where many of the Red Sox banked, so he got lots of free tickets and autographed balls for me. And my father had the Bruin's connection from his work (airline) so, I had it pretty damn good as a kid between going to Fenway and the Garden.

Agreed, no better game to play then hockey! We had a park near our home and we would all be playing hockey until they shut the lights off every night!! In fact, when I would play a little basketball I would be throwing hip checks out of habit!!!

I hear ya. We sometimes used a local tennis court to play inside, and there was always competition to see how loud you could make the chain-link fencing rattle from checking someone into it :D. Do you remember the plastic blades that came out back then? We'd bend the hell out of them (illegal curves) just to be outrageous :D. Man, you could sure control a wrist shot when the puck or ball would fit in the curve like a glove, lol. We made our own goalie nets too, because none of us had the money to afford real ones. One guy who actually had "real" goalie gear/pads was considered well off. Most of us had gloves, but beside those and knee/shin pads (for ice), that was it.

Brackneyc
06-03-2010, 05:12 PM
I like the NBA, but don't understand how Hockey has such a low standing with the average person.

Hockey for me was never fully appreciated until I played it (not league play, just on the frozen pond), and saw it played in person. The speed and skill (imo) does not translate over tv very well. We have a local hockey team (Quad City Mallards) and they usually draw nice crowds.

I liked the NBA when Jordan, Magic and Bird were in there. To thuggish now. Just bores me anymore.

fitmom43
06-03-2010, 05:45 PM
The speed and skill (imo) does not translate over tv very well.

So true! My sons could not understand my fascination with watching hockey and thought it was boring as hell even on a flat screen tv until I brought them to a Ranger game at the Garden, now they are both hooked!!! Same goes with basketball I took my older boy to see the Knicks play against the Cavalliers and he loved it probably because we also had court side seats. He kept on asking me do you think Harrington or McGrady will fall into the seats, I was like I hope not otherwise they will crush you LOL 10 year olds wish for strange things :)

rangerNY
06-03-2010, 06:04 PM
I forgot to add to my earlier post...I will laugh for days if Hossa does not get the cup this year..

HA! He'd be the Buffalo Bills of the NHL, all by himself.

LisaSkinnoble
06-04-2010, 05:34 AM
How could you forget Lemaire, Cournoyer, Dryden and Mahovlich? :). MAn, 4 straight Stanley Cups and a total of 6 in the 70's. Simply awesome!

"Esposito, Orr, Bucyk and Hodge finished 1-2-3-4 in the NHL scoring race in 1970-71." These guys were my heroes. John McKenzie, Derek Sanderson, Gerry Cheevers, Wayne Cashman and many others too. Two Bruins lived within two blocks of me...before they started making money, lol (lower middle class suburb 10 mins north of Boston).

No question! All greats! When I worked on the salary arbitrations, I got to meet a lot of my heroes, but I have to tell you, when one of our lawyers met Bobby Orr, we all stopped in absolute awe and hung on to every word. We were all like kids, standing dead still with our mouths agape.

My grandfather worked at Shawmut Bank (now defunct, I think) where many of the Red Sox banked, so he got lots of free tickets and autographed balls for me. And my father had the Bruin's connection from his work (airline) so, I had it pretty damn good as a kid between going to Fenway and the Garden.

Colour me Fenway green with envy! Nice!!

I hear ya. We sometimes used a local tennis court to play inside, and there was always competition to see how loud you could make the chain-link fencing rattle from checking someone into it :D. Do you remember the plastic blades that came out back then? We'd bend the hell out of them (illegal curves) just to be outrageous :D. Man, you could sure control a wrist shot when the puck or ball would fit in the curve like a glove, lol. We made our own goalie nets too, because none of us had the money to afford real ones. One guy who actually had "real" goalie gear/pads was considered well off. Most of us had gloves, but beside those and knee/shin pads (for ice), that was it.

Remember in Wayne's World, how Wayne and Garth hung out at Stan Mikita Donuts? I always got a kick out of that because of Tim Horton Donuts up here. Well, Stan Mikita was the first guy to curve his blade. Played for the Blackhawks.

I remember duct-taping phone books to our legs as goalie pads. Or, sometimes we'd sneak the cushions from the chesterfield. God help us if my mom caught us! :D

LisaSkinnoble
06-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Hockey for me was never fully appreciated until I played it (not league play, just on the frozen pond), and saw it played in person. The speed and skill (imo) does not translate over tv very well. We have a local hockey team (Quad City Mallards) and they usually draw nice crowds.

So true. A few years ago I went to an old-timers game. They were playing for a charity. Johnny Bower was the coach of one team. Lafleur, Shutt, Vaive, tons of them were there. I was right at the boards, and I was stunned at the speed with which these guys still skate. And Rick Vaive didn't wear a helmet! Ack! It was fun time, and we went down to the corridor by the lockerrooms afterwards and they all came out for photos and autographs. I think I was more thrilled than my son!

Local hockey is great. Leaf tickets are so outrageously priced, and the good seats are always sold to businesses first, so a lot of us have taken to OHL or AHL hockey instead. I actually enjoy it more than NHL. Those guys are playing for their lives out there. Still young and eager and hungry. And, $15 a ticket instead of $200.

And well, old softie that I am, my absolute favourite is to watch my son play. Minor hockey, house league, Bantam. He's a big boy, with a great big square stance. Real power skater. Just doesn't go after the puck much. Kinda like Kaberle.

dbx
06-04-2010, 05:57 AM
No question! All greats! When I worked on the salary arbitrations, I got to meet a lot of my heroes, but I have to tell you, when one of our lawyers met Bobby Orr, we all stopped in absolute awe and hung on to every word. We were all like kids, standing dead still with our mouths agape.

Orr was one of the guys who lives within two blocks of me....but we never saw him...and his residency there was short lived. Me, and almost every kid in my neighborhood had this poster on their wall:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/dbx/Lulz%20album/Orr.jpg

Hockey doesn't get more exciting than a moment like that.

Colour me Fenway green with envy! Nice!!

Carl Yastrzemski had a replica of the Green Monster in his backyard, and he lived on the same street as my uncle (Lynnfield, MA). Between the Bruins, the Celtics dynasty and the Red Sox...there were a lot of famous players all around.

Well, Stan Mikita was the first guy to curve his blade. Played for the Blackhawks.

I sure as hell know who Stan Mikita is. Hell, every time I see a Makita tool I think of Stan :D. All those guys from that era, from many teams, really were all about the game, not the money. Bobby Orr was the highest paid rookie when he started out, making 3 times more than most rookies. His salary? $25K :rolleyes:. Professional sports have really gone to hell :( (yes, even with inflation adjusted etc..).

nikkiloo2
06-04-2010, 06:10 AM

Yeah, this year the finals have been fantastic!
So many Bruins fans on here ... amazing.
My aunt had the biggest crush on Phil Esposito lol
Ha...I have a Bruins "jersey" (which was not a real jersey like they have now made by Reebok) from 1975 that I wear to see the Bruins (and have my pic taken with the wooden Bobby Orr at TD Garden) ... I even go see the P Bruins.
Yeah, Shawmut is gone but my older sister worked there for a while; we had tickets to Fenway all the time.
My sister lives in Venice Florida now but goes to every game in Tampa the Sox play.
There are no fans like Boston fans.

Rdez
06-04-2010, 01:40 PM
This is great....

8zjzxP3utNM

egoatdoor
06-04-2010, 04:41 PM

Why is that hard to understand?

The sport crippled itself by losing an entire season with a player's strike.

Its the only major sport that originated in another country and has only been effectively a US sport for 43 years. Baseball was iconic as far back as the 1920s and football, beginning with the college side of the game, as also very popular way back then.

It is the hardest of the 4 sports to follow, especially on television.

Most of its players are foreign born.

Of the 4 sports, it has the most number of small cities ( like Columbus, Nashville and San Jose) which is not an attractive feature for sponsors and TV networks.

Chicago has finally made it to the limelight. But for years before this, its major market teams ( New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and even the Flyers) have been non playoff or early exit contenders, which kills the ratings in the later rounds of the playoffs.

But being a long time past resident of Philadelphia who grew up during the "Broad Street Bullies" era, I am very happy to see this series. Take nothing away from that.

dbx
06-04-2010, 04:57 PM

Anyone who actually follows hockey (I don't, anymore) would know that's a bogus statement. Hockey has never had the following or support that the other major sports do. Part of it is/was because it involves ice....something not normally found in most of the US, but more abundant in the northern part of this country, and yes the country it originated in.

And I probably don't need to tell you that large ethnic group in this country don't skate much or ski (as a whole). No racism here, just stating facts. For that matter, I don't think many Asians or Hispanics play the game...but again... I haven't kept up. Again, a thinning down of participation AND support.

Its the only major sport that originated in another country and has only been effectively a US sport for 43 years.

Say what? Where do you think "football" came from? Can you say...rugby? :). And lol, even baseball came from? Yeah, cricket...pretty much, despite some debate about its origins.

It is the hardest of the 4 sports to follow, especially on television.

It's actually not hard at all...if you actually know the game. I just feel bad for the announcers who have to try to explain it while it's actually being played because of the speed invloved :D.

Most of its players are foreign born.

LOL again. Can you say baseball? Basketball?

Chicago has finally made it to the limelight.

As a young Bostonian in my youth, I can assure you that Chicago "made it", as you put it, over 40yrs ago. You may go back and note talk in this very thread of Stan Mikita. Phil Esposito's (Bruin) brother, Tony...was the goalie for the Chicago Blackhawks in the same era. Chicago has rich history, and not only in sports.

You quite simply never have...and currently don't...follow the game of hockey.

egoatdoor
06-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Anyone who actually follows hockey (I don't, anymore) would know that's a bogus statement. Hockey has never had the following or support that the other major sports do. Part of it is/was because it involves ice....something not normally found in most of the US, but more abundant in the northern part of this country, and yes the country it originated in.

And I probably don't need to tell you that large ethnic group in this country don't skate much or ski (as a whole). No racism here, just stating facts. For that matter, I don't think many Asians or Hispanics play the game...but again... I haven't kept up. Again, a thinning down of participation AND support.

Which is exactly the point. It has always been a step child and it made its step childness even worse, including losing it national Tv contract, with the strike.

Say what? Where do you think "football" came from? Can you say...rugby? :). And lol, even baseball came from? Yeah, cricket...pretty much, despite some debate about its origins.

That may be factually true, but 99% of Americans don't know that and don't care. Baseball, beginning with Babe Ruth in the 1920s, grew into an American institution. Football, with Red Grange, The Four Horsemen and then the dominant Army teams of the 40s grew larger and larger and by the early 60s, pro football had become an institution.

It's actually not hard at all...if you actually know the game. I just feel bad for the announcers who have to try to explain it while it's actually being played because of the speed invloved :D.

Personally I don't agree that its hard to follow ( I followed the sport intensely in the 70s and early 80), but thats the perception of many non fans and the media and as often is true, the perception becomes reality in people's eyes, just as the perception that most home run hitting baseball players are juiced.

LOL again. Can you say baseball? Basketball?

Its nowhere near as bad in those sports, especially in basketball. The foreign players are only a ten year old if that long phenomenom. That being said, baseball had better be careful as its is increasing becoming an Hispanic sport.

As a young Bostonian in my youth, I can assure you that Chicago "made it", as you put it, over 40yrs ago. You may go back and note talk in this very thread of Stan Mikita. Phil Esposito's (Bruin) brother, Tony...was the goalie for the Chicago Blackhawks in the same era. Chicago has rich history, and not only in sports.

That was years ago. Five years ago it was one of the worst franchises in sports. The arena was half empty Up until 2008, they missed the playoffs NINE out of ten years, which is pretty hard in the Everyone Gets In The Playoffs system in the NHL.

Not true. Enough said.

LisaSkinnoble
06-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Frank Mahovlich??!!!

IEtOs6ofM40

LisaSkinnoble
06-05-2010, 10:51 PM
I dunno what happened in my beloved hockey thread, but I'm gonna sober up and read.

But first... a little Stompin' Tom...

7nMzcYo5ToI

dbx
06-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Frank Mahovlich??!!!

LOL, that's a real rare find (or so it would seem to a U.S. citizen). No song with Pete in it? :D

I dunno what happened in my beloved hockey thread, but I'm gonna sober up and read.

I sensed someone dissing the game, so I had to pull an Orr.

OutOfStep
06-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Whenever I meet someone who doesn't like hockey for whatever reason, I just assume they have severe cognitive issues and a flawed character. Then I feel happy and grateful that I'm not defective like them.

LisaSkinnoble
06-06-2010, 08:09 AM

It wasn't a strike. It was a lockout. And sure, it was a bummer, but I don't think the sport is crippled.

-=FLEX=-
06-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Whenever I meet someone who doesn't like hockey for whatever reason, I just assume they have severe cognitive issues and a flawed character. Then I feel happy and grateful that I'm not defective like them.

LMAO

It wasn't a strike. It was a lockout.

Hmmmmm...now that's a little different, isn't it? ;)

-=FLEX=-

nikkiloo2
06-06-2010, 09:56 AM

This is very true. Depends a lot on where you live. Where I grew up (suburb outside of Boston) it was cold, we had a lake "downtown", we all skated in the winter. My kids, who grew up in the city (and most city kids) would have to go to a rink to ice skate. They inline skate but don't ice skate often. It's like a field trip for them as I'm sure it is for many city kids

Wow, Tony Esposito. Being a Boston fan I had completely forgotten about him til you just made mention. Another hockey great

OutOfStep ;) ... repped out again darn it ...

JolietKev
06-06-2010, 01:40 PM
It wasn't a strike. It was a lockout. And sure, it was a bummer, but I don't think the sport is crippled.

HD has increased the popularity of the sport because it now translates on TV. I have been to many Hawks games and always tell people that say they do not like Hockey that they have to experience a game in person. Should be a good one tonight.

dbx
06-06-2010, 01:43 PM
HD has increased the popularity of the sport because it now translates on TV. I have been to many Hawks games and always tell people that say they do not like Hockey that they have to experience a game in person. Should be a good one tonight.

QFT! MY oldest son has never watched a hockey game on TV in his life (Olympics and exception), but has been to a handful of Atlanta Thrasher's games and now loves hockey!

JolietKev
06-06-2010, 01:46 PM
QFT! MY oldest son has never watched a hockey game on TV in his life (Olympics and exception), but has been to a handful of Atlanta Thrasher's games and now loves hockey!

It was not even on TV for a long time. Chicago just recently started showing their home games, about two years ago. Since they are in the "West" many of the games that were on TV came on too late for many. The new regime has done a great job marketing.