PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry - Ten thoughts

ntallyfl
05-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Admittedly I am a gun nut, but I think I might have to draw the line on "open carry". Sure, I see no problem with it in rural areas or small towns where you may just be coming into town for supplies and back out again, but I am talking about the urban open carry person.

1) Why display that you're carrying? What's the point?

2) I've seen some of the people open carrying and guess what? I could take their gun without any problem and there is nothing stopping a physically fit criminal from snatching one from a fatty and getting away with it. With an accomplice that makes it even easier to cause a distraction while the other takes it. It would just facilitate the criminals from getting an easy gun from an easy mark.

3) If you think it intimidates somebody think again. All it does is identify a threat for a crook to target first during a crime. If I was going to commit an armed robbery, that would be the first person I would shoot or the first person I would have them "drop it and turn it over".

4) It makes an easy case for somebody to say they felt "threatened' during a confrontation. All you had to do was brush against it and somebody could say you were going for your gun and that's why they had to shoot you.

5) Law enforcement will always see it as you looking for a fight - even if you were trying to avoid one.

6) What if some kids said they "just wanted to touch it"?

7) Accidents do happen and when they do, you'll be blamed for being negligent, careless or reckless.

8) You'll get your picture taken a lot.

9) People will give you unsolicited advice "You should have got a Glock, S&W, Colt, Sig"

10) Women may not want to talk to you or if you're a woman, men may not want to talk to you.

Feel free to add your own, or argue any one of my thoughts.

Kiknskreem
05-06-2010, 09:00 PM

10) Women may not want to talk to you or if you're a woman, men may not want to talk to you.

Are you expecting people to take concerns like this seriously?

user27629377
05-06-2010, 09:06 PM

Agreed

Even if I was in an open carry state, I'd never do it. You're straight up asking for trouble.

drxmn
05-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Agreed

Even if I was in an open carry state, I'd never do it. You're straight up asking for trouble.
****ing right

you can always tell the lawyers from the rest lol.

Ultra_Magnus
05-06-2010, 09:23 PM
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/1958/f85232a7c761a381f043354.jpg

Its legal where i live, but i dont cuz its not worth the hassle. But if i felt like it, its good to know i can.

Turbomunkey
05-06-2010, 09:38 PM
The one about women talking to you is actually a benefit..........as far as im concerned if a potential girl DOESNT talk to you cause you have a gun, you just saved yourself a lot of time and money.

But on the other hand, if a girl sees the gun and likes it, you just found yourself someone who 99% compatible with you.

cavymeister
05-06-2010, 10:15 PM
DOne it many times, will do it many more times. Not big deal if enough people in the area carry it. I live/carry 15-20 minutes outside DC.

HairyScandinavian
05-06-2010, 11:20 PM
The main reason that I'd really love to have OC in Texas is so I won't have to worry so much about printing or something stupid like my shirt getting hung up and exposing the weapon when I reach down for a pack of ramen noodles at the grocery store. If your state allows CC and OC, if you print nobody cares but if OC is not allowed I could theoretically be charged with felony carrying of a weapon and lose my right to CC or possibly even to own firearms. Not that it would actually ever happen, but it could cause a sheetload of problems.

Geno
05-06-2010, 11:23 PM
The founding fathers carried guns wherever they went.

Anyone who has an issue with open carry can pretty much kiss my ass.

I don't carry open simply because I want the bad guy to be looking at the really tall guy in the room when I kill him.

Vitalshok44
05-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Admittedly I am a gun nut, but I think I might have to draw the line on "open carry". Sure, I see no problem with it in rural areas or small towns where you may just be coming into town for supplies and back out again, but I am talking about the urban open carry person.

2) I've seen some of the people open carrying and guess what? I could take their gun without any problem and there is nothing stopping a physically fit criminal from snatching one from a fatty and getting away with it. With an accomplice that makes it even easier to cause a distraction while the other takes it. It would just facilitate the criminals from getting an easy gun from an easy mark.

3) If you think it intimidates somebody think again. All it does is identify a threat for a crook to target first during a crime. If I was going to commit an armed robbery, that would be the first person I would shoot or the first person I would have them "drop it and turn it over".

4) It makes an easy case for somebody to say they felt "threatened' during a confrontation. All you had to do was brush against it and somebody could say you were going for your gun and that's why they had to shoot you.

5) Law enforcement will always see it as you looking for a fight - even if you were trying to avoid one.

7) Accidents do happen and when they do, you'll be blamed for being negligent, careless or reckless.

9) People will give you unsolicited advice "You should have got a Glock, S&W, Colt, Sig"

Feel free to add your own, or argue any one of my thoughts.

If all these things are such a concerned why do plainclothes police open carry?

Answer, because it's not really that big of a concern.

After all, most of what you're talking about can be solved with simply a good retention holster.
I suppose you could make an argument for it making you a target, however, I don't think the chances are any more likely that someone is going to see you as a target as opposed to a deterrence, so imo that's not a very big deal.

my state allows open carry and I've done it a few times, although usually only in the summer and definitely not on a regular basis, however if I felt like it or wanted to more often I most certainly could.

when I did do it absolutely no ruckus resulted from it and the only thing I even heard about it was the clerk at a convenience store I stopped at say "thank you officer" on the way out LOL

ExtremistPullup
05-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Open Carry is on the Governors desk here in Oklahoma.

I don't mind if people open carry here, for me I won't but, I wouldn't mind if printing wasn't and problem.

MajorCajones
05-07-2010, 09:03 AM
all the people here who are against OC, would it change your mind if were "pretending"(ya right) that ccw's are basically non-existant? so in that case OC would be you only form of SD?

ntallyfl
05-07-2010, 10:49 AM

Yeah, number 10 was kind of filler. But, with respect to the children, yes. Only because I've seen children run up and ask cops questions like that. Also a child might be more likely to actually go up and touch it. I don't like "toy guns" for children just because it instills a belief in them that guns are toys.

I think I've actually read some prominent firearms experts advise parents that should never buy toy guns for their children for just these reasons. Children are very unpredictable and I think that's a good reason to keep them out of sight around them.

chevy72blu
05-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Yeah, number 10 was kind of filler. But, with respect to the children, yes. Only because I've seen children run up and ask cops questions like that. Also a child might be more likely to actually go up and touch it. I don't like "toy guns" for children just because it instills a belief in them that guns are toys.

I think I've actually read some prominent firearms experts advise parents that should never buy toy guns for their children for just these reasons. Children are very unpredictable and I think that's a good reason to keep them out of sight around them.

I totally disagree. Creating even more mystery/allure will just make them want to play with them more. Toy guns should look NOTHING like a real one other than in form (clear, bright colors, etc); let them get their kicks. When they are old enough, show them how to operate a firearm and how dangerous they are. Following then, and in the mean time, you better have a great god damn gun safe.

In regards to OC, I think it CAN be a deterrent unless you really stepped into a bad situation (ie: they are going to kill someone there that they have a prior relationship with). Your average 7-11 robber isnt going to go through with it when a guy is standing there OC'ing (who he will likely assume is a cop). A solid retention holster is a must, and I know many guys who OC that use a BUG in case their primary is jumped.

I still see CC as tactically superior, but I do like the fact that OC brings awareness. I crack up every time I hear "Did you know that you can walk down the street carrying a high capacity assault hand gun without a permit?" type sht on the news.

ExtremistPullup
05-07-2010, 11:50 AM

I'm teaching my son about guns, and what they are capable of. I'm teaching the curiosity out of him.
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3026/img1215l.jpg
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8496/img1217g.jpg
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1442/img1219l.jpg

Steak_n_Taters
05-07-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm teaching my son about guns, and what they are capable of. I'm teaching the curiosity out of him.
[IMG]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3026/img1215l.jpg[
[IMG]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8496/img1217g.jpg[
[IMG]http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1442/img1219l.jpg[

lol for some reason I feel like I can tell that kid will be a ladies man.

As for the original topic, I'll carry concealed for various reasons most of which are listed.

I have no problem with other people who are OCing though. Not that it's legal in Texas anyway.

Organichu
05-07-2010, 12:36 PM
people who carry concealed shouldn't be hating on people who carry openly. responsible gun owners should stand in concert behind the rkba. infighting is not helpful.

El Gilbro
05-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I personally wouldn't OC but if somebody else wants to, more power to them.

ExtremistPullup
05-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I personally wouldn't OC but if somebody else wants to, more power to them.

It should be a personal choice, I wouldn't but..I would like not to worry about getting hassled or arrested for printing.

That list sucks btw.. sure their are going to be stupid people carrying legally and illegally but that shouldn't effect how I am allowed to carry.

If I choose to open carry, I wouldn't do it with a strapless holster.

And the argument that you will be become a victim over someone who isn't carrying openly is crazy.

El Gilbro
05-07-2010, 01:09 PM
It should be a personal choice, I wouldn't but..I would like not to worry about getting hassled or arrested for printing.

That list sucks btw.. sure their are going to be stupid people carrying legally and illegally but that shouldn't effect how I am allowed to carry.

It is nice (OC is legal here in PA) not worrying about getting in trouble with the law for printing. Sadly a lot of ppl here aren't aware of OC being legal (I've even encountered some LEOs who weren't clear on the law) and printing or OCing in the wrong place can still get a "OMG, man with gun!!!!" reaction.

ExtremistPullup
05-07-2010, 01:17 PM
It is nice (OC is legal here in PA) not worrying about getting in trouble with the law for printing. Sadly a lot of ppl here aren't aware of OC being legal (I've even encountered some LEOs who weren't clear on the law) and printing or OCing in the wrong place can still get a "OMG, man with gun!!!!" reaction.

don't you have to worry about city municipalities out lawing OC like Philadelphia.

Kiknskreem
05-07-2010, 01:19 PM

How is a child asking a question an issue? Are you incapable of telling a child he cannot hold your gun?

And if a child managed to surprise you, run up and touch your gun... what? If you can be disarmed by a child you shouldn't be carrying, period. Most people who open carry try not to let kids get the drop on 'em.

El Gilbro
05-07-2010, 01:47 PM
don't you have to worry about city municipalities out lawing OC like Philadelphia.
My understanding is that Philly requires a LTCF for open carry because the state law has language requiring the permit when in "1st class" cities. Apparently Philly is the only city in the state that qualifies for this status. (Maybe some of the Philly brahs can correct me on this if I'm wrong.)

Every other municipality that has tried to pass their own gun ordinances have had them thrown out in state court when appealed. The reason for this is that only the state legislature can pass laws regarding firearm regulation.

Organichu
05-07-2010, 02:20 PM
some municipalities regularly try to override preemption but it is illegal, and thankfully people in support of the rkba have rebuffed them in court

open carry in philadelphia (where i live) requires a license to carry firearms, though plenty of officers are ignorant of state law

Creature83
05-07-2010, 05:55 PM
It's a right worth protecting. Not everyone has the $ to drop out up to $500(in some states, I paid $200) for the class/license. The right to carry should not be limited to only those who can afford it.

Personally, my firearm is my ace in the hole and I'm gonna keep it there unless I absolutly need it.

ntallyfl
05-09-2010, 09:54 AM
people who carry concealed shouldn't be hating on people who carry openly. responsible gun owners should stand in concert behind the rkba. infighting is not helpful.

I am not hating on people who openly carry. As I said, in the "urban environment" it may not be the wisest thing. In fact I was in an wide-open place like Arizona, I would do it myself. If I was in L.A. (assuming CA allowed it) I am not sure I would do it. the same for NYC or any other large city.

How is a child asking a question an issue? Are you incapable of telling a child he cannot hold your gun?

And if a child managed to surprise you, run up and touch your gun... what? If you can be disarmed by a child you shouldn't be carrying, period. Most people who open carry try not to let kids get the drop on 'em.

You would be surprised what a child can do. Ask any parent. If you haven't noticed there aren't as good a quality a parent these days as there used to be, who watch their children.

Vitalshok44
05-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Open Carry is on the Governors desk here in Oklahoma.

I don't mind if people open carry here, for me I won't but, I wouldn't mind if printing wasn't and problem.

that's one of the biggest reasons to be in favor of it imo

Non issue to my way of thinking, just explain to them that it's not a toy and nicely tell them to keep their hands to themselves.

Also, if you're going to open carry have a good retention holster and carry a blade on your weak side.

I don't think I've ever read anything like that from any firearms author I can think of at the moment

mayday121
05-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Open carry is asking for attention pretty much. I'd occasionally open carry my M&P when I lived in VA with my Blackhawk SERPA holster (you aren't easily taking it from there....) because it was more comfortable.

I don't really like drawing that much attention, I'd usually still at least partially cover it up with a shirt. Only time I'd ever go open in VA is to do the Virginia tuck walking into a restaurant that served alcohol, although last I heard they adopted a new bill so you can CC in an establishment that serves alcohol now.

Now that I live in NC, I wouldn't go around open carrying. VA is about as lax as it gets, around here they're a little more uptight. Keep it hidden and nobody asks any questions or gawks or freaks out, makes life a lot simpler.

IdahoViking
05-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Feel free to add your own, or argue any one of my thoughts.I have never experienced any of these when open carrying. That being said I have never open carried in a big city. In "small town" Idaho I'm just another man with a revolver on his hip.

2k10SS
05-10-2010, 10:01 AM
I have no problem against the people that can or want to. But myself, likes to stay under the radar rather than drawing unnecessary attention and having a target on my back....

ntallyfl
05-10-2010, 10:19 AM
I have never experienced any of these when open carrying. That being said I have never open carried in a big city. In "small town" Idaho I'm just another man with a revolver on his hip.

Exactly! That's the kind of place I would like to live.

John Hicks
05-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Georgia is an open carry state - I still won't do it tho, simply because I don't want the "attention" that some people have received; kinda like the guy that was OCing and someone called the cops on him, the cops not knowing the law took him down and arrested him - he retained a lawyer and it's turned into a big fat nasty legal battle now.