PDA

View Full Version : Had first malfunction with my reloaded ammo. yes at a match

Lothar Allen
05-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Was in the middle of an ipsc classifier. pulled the trigger and only heard the pin strike. ripped the slide back and finished the stage. i just pulled the bullet and everything looked fine. (ie there was powder in there lol.) either the primer was bad (very unlikely) or it was a light strike from my pistol. either way it wasn't my fault, but it felt bad man.

user27629377
05-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Not sure why you would use reloads in a match, but that is unfortunate.

CellTherapy
05-02-2010, 07:17 PM
you were just asking for something like that to happen, using reloads in a match

PancakeOfDoom
05-02-2010, 07:28 PM

you were just asking for something like that to happen, using reloads in a match

don't a lot of guys use powderpuff reloads in that or am i thinking of a different type of competition?

(yes, competition noob)

Lothar Allen
05-02-2010, 09:02 PM

wut? brb thinking factory ammo is better, and that anybody shoots factory in a match. im almost positive i just had a light strike, and it had nothing to do with the primer.

Lothar Allen
05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
don't a lot of guys use powderpuff reloads in that or am i thinking of a different type of competition?

(yes, competition noob)

everybody, except maybe somebody who is out for their first time, shoots reloaded ammo. typically it is downloaded, but the amount of downloading depends on the caliber you're shooting.

user27629377
05-02-2010, 09:05 PM
wut? brb thinking factory ammo is better, and that anybody shoots factory in a match. im almost positive i just had a light strike, and it had nothing to do with the primer.

lol brb shooting thousands of rounds out of numerous handguns and never having a misfire with factory ammo.

Lothar Allen
05-02-2010, 09:09 PM
lol brb shooting thousands of rounds out of numerous handguns and never having a misfire with factory ammo.

brb shooting 1.5k-2k rounds a month between 3 match guns and only paying a small fraction of what you do. (will be even less when i get casting) brb tailoring a load for my wadgun that will group 2" or better at 50 yards from a ransom rest. brb i shoot 3-4 days a week and i'm not paying for factory loads that aren't application specific.

user27629377
05-02-2010, 09:11 PM
brb shooting 1.5k-2k rounds a month between 3 match guns and only paying a small fraction of what you do. (will be even less when i get casting) brb tailoring a load for my wadgun that will group 2" or better at 50 yards from a ransom rest. brb i shoot 3-4 days a week and i'm not paying for factory loads that aren't application specific.

Good for you, you still misfired in a competition. lol.

PancakeOfDoom
05-02-2010, 09:14 PM

i bet i could shoot thousands with no malfunctions with a judge. just sayin'

user27629377
05-02-2010, 09:15 PM

.410 or .45?

Steak_n_Taters
05-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Reality is, whether you shoot your own loads (no homo?) or factory loads, especially if you shoot in competition, you will eventually run a dud.

Unlucky it happened in the middle of a match, but it's bound to happen eventually if you shoot enough.

If it happens again I would maybe check your loading procedures. I would maybe double check them anyway just to be sure.

Good luck at your next match!

BigJohnny999
05-02-2010, 09:46 PM

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m97/stud146/3qo437sQqlee1t54LL5mR7Qso1_500.jpg

Geno
05-02-2010, 11:03 PM
You look real close at the seating depth on the primer?

Lothar Allen
05-02-2010, 11:06 PM
You look real close at the seating depth on the primer?

not really. but i already de primed it (carefully lol) to take a look at the anvil etc. i know it wasn't crazy high/deep. Even if it was a little high, it still should have ignited.

Organichu
05-02-2010, 11:58 PM
there's no reason at all to be condescending to handloaders who employ those loads in matches or SD- some people like to serve as their own QC.

if you've never had a problem with factory ammo... congrats. you're lucky. i've seen everything under the sun (misseated primers, missing anvils, downloaded so much the slide wouldn't lock out of battery, etc.) w.r.t. factory ammo. it's all anecdotal.

out of curiosity loth, what pistol were you using?

Lothar Allen
05-03-2010, 12:09 AM
i was shooting production, so just a stock glock 22.

Creature83
05-03-2010, 01:19 AM
If you had a good primer strike and it didn't fire then you had a dead primer.

I've had plenty of duds with factory ammo as well. $hit happens, probably be a good thing to plan for. I prefer to shoot my hand loads over factory.

NuggzTheNinja
05-03-2010, 06:37 AM
i was shooting production, so just a stock glock 22.

Reloads in a G22!? You lucked out man, damn thing could have taken out a city block had it gone off. :p

Just playing. Yeah, light primer strikes aren't really your fault. As long as you cleared it quickly and efficiently, you did everything you could.

And if anyone thinks that malfs don't happen with factory ammo, they need to actually get out there and shoot more than the one weekend before centerfire deer season. :rolleyes:

cavymeister
05-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Reality is, whether you shoot your own loads (no homo?) or factory loads, especially if you shoot in competition, you will eventually run a dud.

Unlucky it happened in the middle of a match, but it's bound to happen eventually if you shoot enough.

If it happens again I would maybe check your loading procedures. I would maybe double check them anyway just to be sure.

Good luck at your next match!

That's why there are malfunction drills.