PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Wrangler

cgh
05-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Let me start this out by saying I am NOT a car guy at all. I do not work on cars and really have no interest in that.

I've always loved the look of these Jeeps. I know they are meant for off-roading but I'm not terribly interested in off-roading more than following logging roads, and maybe the slight off-roading to find a good camping spot.

The vehicle would be my everyday ride.

How reliable are these Jeeps for everyday use and if I were to get one, would it be best to get brand new or used? Seems like everybody has a hard on for modifying their Jeeps or putting on tonnes of kms a year so I am skeptical of getting a used. You never know how hard somebody has driven their jeep.

What kind of legit advice can you guys give me in what I should look for?

On Fire
05-02-2010, 10:27 AM
What years are you looking for? I owned a 2000 Wrangler TJ for years, did the whole modifying 37" tires, axles, etc thing after 2 years of stock, then sold it. Now driving a 2007 Wrangler and it's staying stock.

Good vehicles man. If I were to do it again though, I'd probably buy the 4door. Definitely reliable if they haven't been beat to **** offroad.

cgh
05-02-2010, 10:32 AM
What years are you looking for? I owned a 2000 Wrangler TJ for years, did the whole modifying 37" tires, axles, etc thing after 2 years of stock, then sold it. Now driving a 2007 Wrangler and it's staying stock.

Good vehicles man. If I were to do it again though, I'd probably buy the 4door. Definitely reliable if they haven't been beat to **** offroad.

The year is not that important. The newer the better, 2007+ I think would be ideal. The 4 doors are pretty bad ass.

Is it all basically dependent on how I drive it? If I drive like a little old lady it'll cause me no problems?

PancakeOfDoom
05-02-2010, 11:10 AM
i valet at a local hotel so i notice how different cars hold up under different mileages.

jeeps are definitely up there. the ones that come in stock and haven't been abused off round generally hold up pretty well, the ones that come in with over 100k run good. look at the tacoma, they hold up really well as well. i'd avoid any 90s 4x4 domestic trucks/SUVs unless you do some research. i get tahoes, envoys, rangers, etc with 200k miles that run like champs, then i park some with 60k that are falling apart already.

Xander
05-02-2010, 11:29 AM
it really depends what you want to do with it. Once the 'bug' hits you, you may want to start modding it and regret buying an X or Sahara. I have an '04 Rubicon and LOVE it! Rubicons don't sit higher, they have a superior T-case, axles, and best of all: lockers. I've wheeled mine stock and could go anywhere. The lockers really help a lot. I've seen guys with lifted X's (sports) and couldn't make it where I can go.

Jeeps are very easy to work on. If you have some sort of know how, you'll find that its pretty simple. I did my lift in about 3-4 hours.

Another reason why to look at a Rubicon is because they hold their value so much. . . a lot more than X's or Saharas. You can usually find one with low(er) miles for a good prive fi you are patient. I would also look into dual tops. I have a hard and a soft top for my Jeep. Its really nice because I'm not fighting to take my hard top off in the summer every other day and not worring about my plastic windows cracking in the winter.

cgh
05-02-2010, 01:52 PM
So if I go used, what year and kms should I avoid? I'd like something 2000 or newer but you guys tell me...Like if I see a 2008 with like 100,000km is that definitely something to avoid or would that be dependent on price?

NateDG72
05-02-2010, 03:03 PM
So if I go used, what year and kms should I avoid? I'd like something 2000 or newer but you guys tell me...Like if I see a 2008 with like 100,000km is that definitely something to avoid or would that be dependent on price?

Get as new of a Wrangler as you can, but make sure it still has the 4.0 inline six engine, they changed to the 3.8 V6 engine when the 4 door jeeps started coming out. The 3.8 is not a bad engine but it doesn't have **** on the 4.0. They last forever. Have one at 350 000 km right now. Runs like a top, not leaking oil or burning it, great compression on all cylinders, and it still gets close to factory rated fuel mileage.

johnsonb90436
05-02-2010, 03:04 PM
check this place out to better answer your question http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Rubicon4door
05-02-2010, 05:11 PM
I had a 2 door and a 4 door 07 wrangler at different times. Bothwere great off road (4 door was a Rubicon) and I wheeled the **** out of them. Once I no longer had time to go to the off road parks around here it was kinda pointless to put up with all the bad stuff a jeep has. Both leaked pretty bad (Chrysler had no answer for it), loud, mpg suck, everything you would assume. Totally worth it to be top and doors off on the side of a mountain in 4lo... not worth it just for a street jeep.

cgh
05-03-2010, 06:49 PM
How much mileage on a used is too much?

I've seen a few different 2009s with 20-30,000kms on it. Is that a lot or kind of normal mileage?

How much $ off the price new would that roughly equate to?