PDA

View Full Version : Meat loaf ideas?

Adelaide.
04-27-2010, 12:25 AM
I made meat loaf for the first time today and I'm pretty happy how it turned out, and I definitely want to try it again and I'm looking for ideas. What kinds of things do you guys put in your meat loaf? What type of ground beef do you use? Have you ever mixed in a leaner meat like turkey or buffalo?

Rowyn
04-27-2010, 04:29 AM
I have used ground chicken, turkey, and buffalo. You just have to remember when you are cooking it that it has lower fat and will dry out more quickly if you aren't careful. Most typically, I would saute finely chopped celery, onions, and carrots to mix into the meatloaf with thyme, salt, pepper. Add an egg or egg whites, bread crumbs, mix and bake. Other times I will put some canned diced tomatoes, Worcestshire sauce, bread crumbs and egg to bind it together. I usually then also put some of the tomatoes on top (or a tomatoe sauce). We eat alot of meatloaf and meatballs at our house ;)

Adelaide.
04-27-2010, 04:47 AM
When you use egg whites vs eggs how many egg whites do you use? Do you have to use more to get the same effect? For example, Egg beaters says 1/4 cup = 1 egg. If the recipe calls for 1 egg is 1/4 cup right, or do you have to use more? The egg is part of what gives it the ability to stick together right? (Have I mentioned I know nothing about cooking and was totally winging it? lol)

I think I like the idea of more veggies in it. That would definitely help round out the macros.

Thanks!

Rowyn
04-27-2010, 05:11 AM
The egg white is just to bind it together. So say you use 2 lbs for a big meatloaf, you may want to put in 3-4 egg whites. I only use one whole egg for 1 lb and it sticks together just fine. You don't HAVE to use bread crumbs, my kids like it, it makes the meatloaf less heavy. You can make an "italian" version of meatloaf and add chopped spinach and onions, zucchini, bell peppers, garlic, oregano, tomatoes, whatever. Make sure everything is chopped up pretty well, though, too chunky and it won't stick together. The tomatoes add alot of water, so I drain a can of diced tomatoes and use some of those rather than chopping fresh. Anything that can be made as a meatloaf generally works as meatballs, too, as long as it is not too "wet". So for us eating lots of protein, you can cook up a batch of meatballs and freeze them into 4 ounce serving sizes.

PattyU
04-27-2010, 05:11 AM
I love meat loaf, and so does my husband. I do not like turkey or chicken in meat loaf as I feel it doesn't taste like meat. I like ground turkey or chicken in other things. Bison is delicious...a little sweeter and leaner than beef. I don't make meat loaf that often as I do see it as a splurge meal. Lean meat will dry out more easily, so make sure you add enough liquid. I love classic meat loaf with a ketchup/mustard/honey glaze. I think the top of a meat loaf is the best part. I mix the glaze to taste.

Here is a good article from Cooking Light. http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/meat-loaf-00400000001189/

I love Cooking Light recipes as they always turn out delicious. They definitely test their recipes before publishing them. If you've never used Cooking Light, they may not be as lean as Clean Eating or Oxygen recipes, but taste just as good as full fat recipes. Cooking Light makes recipes that are lightened and healthier than traditional recipes, but they only go so far. The idea is that their "lightened" version will taste just as good as Grandma's full fat, buttery version of a recipe. Some people on here probably won't eat Cooking Light because the recipes aren't lean enough for them. They do include nutritional breakdowns, so you can decide if these work with your goals.

girl81
04-27-2010, 05:43 AM
grass fed lean beef
shredded zucchini
parmesan cheese
egg or egg whites
chopped onion
garlic powder

mix well with hands, mold into loaf shape, bake.

nunu713
04-27-2010, 05:44 AM
I always make my meatloaf with turkey. It's a good way to sneak in a leaner meat with my family none the wiser! One of my favorite 'secret ingredients' in meatloaf - sun dried tomatos - Yum-my!

bekkiss
04-27-2010, 06:17 AM
The beauty of a meatloaf is that no matter what you put in it, you can't go wrong. There are no hard rules to make a true meat loaf. The most invaluable tip I can offer: add some plain yogurt to turkey loaf. The texture and flavor is most enjoyable.