PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Triathalons

kneedragger85
04-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Does anyone here do triathalons? I am thinking of signing up for one that takes place in August. It is short so I figure basic stubborness will get me to the end.

I know that much cardio is counterproductive to bodybuilding but it just seems like it would be cool to do.

dbx
04-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Does anyone here do triathalons? I am thinking of signing up for one that takes place in August. It is short so I figure basic stubborness will get me to the end.

I know that much cardio is counterproductive to bodybuilding but it just seems like it would be cool to do.

What do you mean by "It is short"? I lift and I run...but I know damn well I am in no shape to complete a triathlon. I have great respect for those able to do it. It is grueling!

kneedragger85
04-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Sprint distance (750 m swim, 20 km bike, 5 km run) Basically 1/2 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run.

By traithalon standards it is short. Only thing that concerns me is the run...I just am not much of a runner. I think this is why I want to do it.

dbx
04-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Sprint distance (750 m swim, 20 km bike, 5 km run) Basically 1/2 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run.

By traithalon standards it is short. Only thing that concerns me is the run...I just am not much of a runner. I think this is why I want to do it.

Ah, I see....I missed the "sprint" part. There are several tiers of triathlons and I was thinking long distance:

Ironman:

The first modern long-distance triathlon event was the Hawaiian Ironman Triathlon. It included a 2.4 mile (3.86 km; 77 lap) swim, a 112 mile (180.2 km) bike ride, and a 26.2 mile (42.195 km) run.

That ^ is some serious $hit! Yeah, I could do the short version. Even if you're not a runner....you can handle 3.1 miles, even if you have to walk part of it! As long as you get past the swimming, you should be good.

kneedragger85
04-24-2010, 11:18 AM
ironman stuff is incredible. I have nothing but respect for the folks who finish those.

dbx
04-24-2010, 11:25 AM
ironman stuff is incredible. I have nothing but respect for the folks who finish those.

No kiddin'. I could only dream of pulling off completing just two portions of an Ironman. But it is because of that kind of drive that I run, as well as lift. Most people cannot even comprehend what it means to be able to complete something like the Ironman. I honestly never gave it the respect it was due, until I started running. It gives the term "athletic conditioning" a meaning on a completely different level than what gets bantered around on here most of the time.

Bando
04-24-2010, 02:03 PM

I've toyed with the idea doing one, I would probably get addicted. The wellness program at my work has a training program that culminates with competing in a "triad" which is is a mini triathlon.

SpyderTT
04-30-2010, 03:40 PM
the longer the distance the more cardio you need to do... they are addicting though.

I can answer a fair amount of questions (I have many tris under my belt all the way up to Iron distance)

Smelly bull
04-30-2010, 04:33 PM
I did several 5-6 years ago. They are fun and they are fun to train for. Make sure your cardio is good (even for the shorter ones) and most important, pace yourself. 1st time out I kicked butt in swimming and then paid the price in biking and running.

Also do bricks (bike then run, swim then bike)

Good luck