PDA

View Full Version : Help!Need harder exercises for back!

tico
05-06-2003, 08:11 AM
Does anybody have a rutine that REALLY stimulates back growth.
I've been doing deadlift and wide-grip lat pulldown a lot. But I need more of those multi compound exercises. Anyone?

sabrinita
05-06-2003, 09:21 AM
pulls-ups....or assisted pull-ups (like myself)
Barbell Row
Seated cable row
hyperextension
deadlifts (though I do those on my legs day...get a good lower back workout too.

tico
05-06-2003, 11:11 AM
Thanks sabrinita.

Cool name by the way.

pandee
05-06-2003, 11:16 AM
I just wanted to add that pull-ups really do work great!!!! Ever since I've been doing them, my back has developed much more. I do 4 sets and vary my grips(esp. with the assist machine). I also do cable rows, wide grip pulldowns, and dumbell rows. Deadlifts too, but on leg days also.

blonde_diva
05-06-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by pandee
I just wanted to add that pull-ups really do work great!!!! Ever since I've been doing them, my back has developed much more.

YES! I so agree with you. I did everything but pullups and was frustrated that my back wasn't developing as well as I liked so I added pullups and what a HUGE difference!! IF anything it really balances the strength and I found that all my weights had to go up after incorporating pullups.

tico
05-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by pandee
I just wanted to add that pull-ups really do work great!!!! Ever since I've been doing them, my back has developed much more. I do 4 sets and vary my grips(esp. with the assist machine). I also do cable rows, wide grip pulldowns, and dumbell rows. Deadlifts too, but on leg days also.

Sounds great. When you vary your grip, do you do that with supersets, or do you vary after 4 sets on a row?

Deadlift on leg day? Wow, that's a new one. I definatly don't want to train legs on a back day. Hmm, but that's strange..I've heard that deadlift is the "king" of the back exercises. Just like squats is for legs, and bench for chest..

Cyber0066
05-06-2003, 03:14 PM
What if your not strong enough to do a lot of pullups?

blonde_diva
05-06-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Cyber0066
What if your not strong enough to do a lot of pullups?

You can either do the variation where you are lying under the bar under a smith machine...it's a little easier....or you can have some assist you by holding your legs up taking some weight off....or if your gym facility has an assisted pullup machine use that :)

The smith machine pullup is near the bottom of this page. To make that specific exercise easier just start with your feet on the ground. When you increase in strength add the height under your feet.

http://www.stumptuous.com/badrow.html

d-LiftStyles-b
05-06-2003, 04:29 PM
I like the T-Bar row, and the bent over bar bell row. You can get very heavy with those 2 excercises.

chez2plez
05-06-2003, 06:03 PM
Pullups are the best but try rocky pulldowns w/lat machine. Do one in the back and then one in the front - continue back/front/back/front. Really rounds out the lats.

pandee
05-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Tico when I vary my grips I may do 2 sets with a wider grip and 2 with a narrower grip, or sometimes chinups, but they all work your back, hitting your lats, middle back, biceps...........and deadlifts I do either on back day or legs, because its great for your lower back but also great for glutes and hamstrings also. I personally like it better for lower back though than hyper-extensions..........better results for me............

sara_uk
05-07-2003, 04:34 AM
Good mornings, wide-grip pullups, deadlifts, seated cable rows here. And some pool time. Personally I either do deadlifts or good mornings on my back days: both is just too much to keep good form.

tico
05-07-2003, 07:14 AM
Thanks guys..I mean, girls.