PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on switching trainers

atmac428
04-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Recently I had a training session with someone who was filling in for my usual trainer. I found my session with this guy to be so much more fulfilling. He pushed me a lot harder than my usual trainer and really seemed to listen to me a whole lot more and got me really pumped to push myself harder. The problem is I have been training with my current trainer for awhile now. Part of the issue here is that he is good friends with my husband, which is actually why I started training with him to begin with. Do you think it would be wrong of me to switch trainers at this point without it being taken personally?

S.C
04-07-2010, 07:34 AM
nope if you think your going to gain better results with the other trainer then go for it no point staying with a trainer if you think another one is going to benefit you more.

medjen
04-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Recently I had a training session with someone who was filling in for my usual trainer. I found my session with this guy to be so much more fulfilling. He pushed me a lot harder than my usual trainer and really seemed to listen to me a whole lot more and got me really pumped to push myself harder. The problem is I have been training with my current trainer for awhile now. Part of the issue here is that he is good friends with my husband, which is actually why I started training with him to begin with. Do you think it would be wrong of me to switch trainers at this point without it being taken personally?

If you are paying him, you have a professional relationship. Have you told your current trainer that you want to work harder? I'd give him a chance to up your intensity and see what happens before swapping out. Give him some feedback about what you want and see if he does it.

If he doesn't, it should (should!) be enough to thank him for his direction and training thus far, but that you're moving on to something else. Not knowing his personality, who knows how he'll actually react?

Again, you're spending money. You should be spending it on what you want, rather than what you'd feel guilty ditching.

michpc
04-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Yes, I agree with medjen that you should give him a second chance. You can even mention particular things the other trainer had you do that you liked. If he's a professional, he'll use your feedback to become a better trainer and do a better job of training you. If not, well then by all means, move on.

atmac428
04-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Yes, I am paying him, but at a discounted rate because he's my husband's friend. I think this is why he tends to not take our training sessions as seriously as some of his other clients who pay regular price. I feel as though I can't complain to him about the sessions because he's sort of doing me a favor. However, I have no problem paying full price for a trainer that's really going to devote his time to me and push me hard. Keep in mind these 2 trainers work at the same gym and are typically there at the same times of day so I don't want to cause any hard feelings. I just don't feel that he gives me his full attention because he's a friend.

medjen
04-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Yes, I am paying him, but at a discounted rate because he's my husband's friend. I think this is why he tends to not take our training sessions as seriously as some of his other clients who pay regular price. I feel as though I can't complain to him about the sessions because he's sort of doing me a favor. However, I have no problem paying full price for a trainer that's really going to devote his time to me and push me hard. Keep in mind these 2 trainers work at the same gym and are typically there at the same times of day so I don't want to cause any hard feelings. I just don't feel that he gives me his full attention because he's a friend.

I'd still stick with my original advice. It's not much of a discount if the training isn't up to par along with the lower price. Give him some feedback. He may not even realize that you're unhappy. If he doesn't change, move on.

Separating the personal/professional relationship out of this is essential.

atmac428
04-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna speak with him at our session tonight and explain to him how I feel and thank him for what's he's helped me accomplish so far but that I would like him to push me a little harder and maybe just let him know what I liked about my session with the other trainer. I won't let him know that I'm considering switching just yet. I'll wait and see if things change first. But if nothing changes than I'm definitely going to switch.