PDA

View Full Version : Critical Mass

JuliusJ
03-15-2010, 10:45 PM
This is for all the guys (or gals) who have amazing bodies (or want them).

In business we have a thing called "critical mass," which may be coincidentally at breakeven (when your income is higher than your expenses), or may be higher than that. You know that you have reached critical mass when your level of effort is the same, but the results increase exponentially. Usually in business this is because of word of mouth and referrals. A good example would be Facebook. Facebook was around for quite a while before it hit critical mass and all of a sudden it seems, everyone on earth is on Facebook.

I am starting to examine whether or not there is a critical mass in body transformations.

But first, I will segue a bit. Throughout my life I have wanted the perfect physique, and have worked hard at it - but always cheated myself in one of two ways:

•Inconsistent training
•Inconsistent dieting

Usually I have been motivated in one (training) and used that as a great excuse for why I can just plow through some serious junk. Then if I was to diet, I lost the energy to train, so naturally the results were that I would just go back to being puffy.

Now couple this with terrible impatience, and you can see why I have never reached below 10% BF.

This time around, I have decided to be patient. Even though I would like to lose 10kg in 10 weeks, I am not focussing on that. I am focussing on maintaining the healthy small calorie restricted diet (I’m not crash dieting or on keto) with correct portion control and timing. At the same time I am being consistent with my training. In short, I am being patient.

Now, as a result of being patient (I just want to live a healthy life - this is not a diet now, just a way of life) and consistent (no cheat days) I have reached what I think is critical mass - and I wanted to know if anybody else has felt this as a phenomenon. My results are beginning to improve exponentially - far better than before, but with the same amount of effort.

Critical mass in body transformation would be where days and days of consistency and patience with training with linear results finally yields an exponential result for the same amount of work (or even less).

So basically, my body is at a point where it is growing faster, and chewing into the fat faster than ever before. Without me having to starve myself. And I haven’t changed anything - it has just evolved to a point that it seems to be no extra effort for really impressive gains (for me!)

Now here are the questions (and I’m sure a lot of guys would like to know):

•do you agree?
•could you explain it in simpler terms
•do you train less now than you did to get where you are

Any input would be appreciated!

Julius

badfishin
03-16-2010, 10:36 AM
I absolutely agree and I am experiencing the same phenomenon right now.
I am only 19 but have been working out since about 15 or 16. Only within the past year have I seen gains to the point that I am stronger than most people my size, but those gains turn into loss when I get cocky and think I can eat whatever I want cause I look so dang good.
I have tried to diet but become inconsistent so easily but only in the past week have I found it easy to be dedicated.
So far I am down 3 lbs since last monday and am eating healthier than ever and feel amazing.
I can seriously say I owe it all to this website (and a little help from FitDay)

JuliusJ
03-16-2010, 03:51 PM
That's awesome. I wonder if there is a point where we get diminishing returns as well. Maybe there is an acceleration phase, and then burnout?

But I guess the overwhelming observation is that it is in fact easy. You don't have to starve (maybe I will after I get below a certain fat %?). You just have to eat consistently healthy and be patient. The critical mass phenomenon will just happen!

Yeah!