PDA

View Full Version : Good Mornings--leg or back day?

Rowyn
03-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Hey all---Being new to the forum I have spent a little time looking at various online training journals and noticed a few people incorporate good mornings into their leg workouts. When this exercise is part of my workout, I use it on a back day for lower back, since I consider it first a back workout with hamstrings secondary. I have seen that some people even do them on a leg day, then have a back day immediately afterwards. No soreness? I would think that performing them for legs one day would decrease the effectiveness of a back workout the next day, but maybe they are lighter weights? If I did them in that way, my back would not feel as strong for its workout the next day I would think.

Just curious :)

kimm4
03-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Hey all---Being new to the forum I have spent a little time looking at various online training journals and noticed a few people incorporate good mornings into their leg workouts. When this exercise is part of my workout, I use it on a back day for lower back, since I consider it first a back workout with hamstrings secondary. I have seen that some people even do them on a leg day, then have a back day immediately afterwards. No soreness? I would think that performing them for legs one day would decrease the effectiveness of a back workout the next day, but maybe they are lighter weights? If I did them in that way, my back would not feel as strong for its workout the next day I would think.

Just curious :)

If you bend your legs they hit more lower back. No bend and you'll feel it more in the glute/ham area.

cut.copy
03-02-2010, 03:25 PM
good mornings work primarily your hamstrings, so Id say on leg day. Additional muscles used are your lower back muscles...

Rowyn
03-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Well, I was going to post the vid from the supersite but I can't post links yet since I haven't had 30 posts;). I perform them like the woman in that video, my knees are unlocked and slightly bent. I have always felt this most in lower back and usually interchange these with back hyperextensions.

dreadiechic
08-27-2014, 09:08 PM
Bump! I've been adding good mornings to my back day... I keep my legs quite bent and mostly feel it in my lower back and also along my spine.
So who does them with legs who does them with back?

oregonchick76
08-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Bump! I've been adding good mornings to my back day... I keep my legs quite bent and mostly feel it in my lower back and also along my spine.
So who does them with legs who does them with back?Hmm. I do them with legs because that's where I *feel* them. Although I do bend my knees some, I still feel most of the tension in my hamstrings. So, IDK. Put it where you feel it the most?

Givens87
08-28-2014, 03:28 AM
I love adding good mornings, I do them to target hams/glutes and a bit of the lower back. I'm currently on the last week of Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Size Program, they aren't in the actual program but I usually add them between my shoulder sets, so I actually do shoulder - glutes supersets.

I just love doing them and since I work out at home I usually need some alternate exercises, since I dont own a leg press or leg extension machine (yet LOL) :-)